Author Topic: Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007  (Read 45595 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »
+1
If you are running Windows 7 you can install the latest version of MS Virtual PC however this turorial will focus only on Virtual PC 2007. Be sure you are running SP3 if Windows XP

First, you need to download the software. There are two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit, pick your version and download.

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 Installation package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=28c97d22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5

Then download Security Update 1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=88DE1513-8D35-410F-8896-FE668F885CA0&displaylang=en

Now we install...
1 - Run the Virtual PC 2007 SP1 installation package.
2 - Click "Next" at the welcome screen
3 - Accept the license and click "Next"
4 - Put in whatever information you want for Username and Organization, choose whether you want "Anyone" or "Only for me", click "Next"
5 - Pick the folder you want to install to or leave it default (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC), click "Install"
6 - Click "Finish" when done
7 - Install the Security Update package, this will tell you to reboot usually, go ahead.

Next, we create a new PC...
1 - Start Microsoft Virtual PC (Start\Programs\Microsoft Virtual PC)
2 - The first thing that comes up will be the "New Virtual Machine Wizard", I like to click "Cancel" here and head to "File/Options" first but you don't have to. If you do, just go through the options and make sure you are comfortable with the settings. You may find that you are perfectly happy with the default settings.
3 - Now click "New" and start the wizard again
4 - Keep "Create a virtual machine" selected and click "Next"
5 - Give the machine a name and a location, I suggest changing the default location because it will put the devices in your "My Documents" folder in your profile. I usually give the Name as the same Windows name I will give the PC when I build it. I also like to put the machines in a different folder on my Data drive ("D:\Images\VirtualPC" for me). Click "Next"
6 - Select the OS you will install, e.g. Windows XP, click "Next"
7 - Select "Adjusting the RAM" and enter the amount of memory you want to dedicate to this device, for a Windows XP box I like to put it to at least 256 Megs. Just pick what you want and click "Next"
8 - Since you haven't created a virtual hard disk yet, select "A new virtual hard disk" and click "Next"
9 - Browse to the folder you want to store your image in and give it a name (leave it with the .vhd file extension). I like to give it the same name and folder as step 5, this way all of the files stay together and are easily identified as belonging to a specific PC. Pick your hard drive size, I would suggest at least 4gig if Windows XP but this greatly depends on what you will be doing with it. Once decided click "Next"
10 - Click "Finish"
11 - You will now see your new Virtual PC listed in the "Virtual PC Console", don't start it yet. Select it and click "Settings"
12 - Go through the settings and get familiar with the options here. This is how you control the behavior of the "hardware" and the save settings, etc.
13 - Once satisfied with the settings move along!

Finally, we put an Operating System on the new PC...
1 - Insert your installation media into your CD/DVD drive (e.g. your Windows XP installation CD)
2 - In the "Virtual PC Console" click "Start"
3 - The virtual machine will start and a new window will open. In the bottom, left-hand side of the window you will see several icons including a CD icon. Right-mouse click the icon and select "Use physical drive X:" where "X:" is the CD Drive with your media in it.
4 - Click "Action" then "CTRL+ALT+DELETE". Your new machine should restart and, if you are using the correct installation media :) the Windows installer now kicks in and you have now reached the end of this half-hazard tutorial.

Any questions?

Enjoy!

XII
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:11:40 AM by 12TimesOver »
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:09 AM »
+1
On my load for the final step of installing the OS, when I hit CTL ALT DEL it opened the menu in the installed version of Win7.  I used the action "Reset" and that worked to initiate the install.

I am trying to load my 64 bit Win7 OS onto the VM and it is giving me the message "CPU is not compatible with 64bit Mode".

Wondering if maybe I should load a different OS...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:17:04 AM by Paulonius »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:38:18 AM »
+1
On my load for the final step of installing the OS, when I hit CTL ALT DEL it opened the menu in the installed version of Win7.  I used the action "Reset" and that worked to initiate the install.

I am trying to load my 64 bit Win7 OS onto the VM and it is giving me the message "CPU is not compatible with 64bit Mode".

Wondering if maybe I should load a different OS...
The last step of my tutorial does specify to use the action menu, not actually hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE ;)

As for the 64-bit question, are you using the correct version of MS Virtual PC (see the beginning portion of the tutorial)?

X

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »
+1
maybe I just mis-read the tutorial.  Not sleeping so great lately.

I thought I was using the right bit selection, but not 100% sure.  I have to get an OS before I can get it running anyway, so maybe I will uninstall it and reinstall it to be sure.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
+1
It appears that the XP license goes away from your Win7 product key once you download the first Win7 service pack.  I read this on a couple of websites and mine won't work to load XP on a VM. 

-Mario Andretti

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
+1
Okay, I did some more work on this and sorted out a couple of things.

I am on a Windows 7 machine and I installed the XP Mode software and Virtual PC package to try out XP mode.  It runs well and is well integrated. Essentially a Virtual PC in a window.  The issue I had is that it was only running in 16 bit and I couldn't change it.  Second issue was that it would not allow me to open an additional Virtual PC window in anything higher than 16 bit.  I tried to un-install it and had problems that required me to revert to prior to installing the XP mode package. 

I then reloaded Virtual PC 2007 and got that working.  I was able to set it up in 32 bit mode (required for OCR) and get it running the HW quester.  It is noticeably slower than VMWare, but otherwise not any more difficult to set up.  It doesn't put much load on my CPU.

I wonder is there any way to make it run faster?  I allocated 1M RAM and 10Gig of HD.  Its painfully slow.  Not sure I can run the SOS hunter on it and be responsive enough to kill serpents...

-Mario Andretti

Scrripty

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
+1
What kind of computer?  I have a phenom 2 black edition with 6 gigs of ram and routinely run 2 of them in the background without much problems.  After a bit of time they can get a little sluggish but some to do ok...

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
+1
It's the computer I built with help from folks at SUO.  i7 processor, 12 G RAM. It has plenty of memory and power, I think Virtual PC is just freaking slow -- unless there is a setting I am missing, and from re-reading all of the virtualizaiton threads I am guessing its not the setup.  It runs faster in 16 bit, but OCR won't work, so none of the scripts you want to run a VM for will work very well.  The VMWare setups I had were a bit slower than normal, but ran very well.  Virtual PC is a lot slower.

I am thinking I may just throw down the 189 and get the VMWare software.  Was easy to install and seems to run better. 

-Mario Andretti

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »
+1
You'll find that Virtual PC and VirtualBox are MUCH slower than VMWare.  It's a free vs. paid sort of thing.  heh
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
+1
Yea I use VMWare but I have Virtual PC and use it also sometimes.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
+1
I figured I should give Virtual PC a try since its free.  Its slow enough that it annoys me to set up something to run.  Now that I have given it a shot I feel like I know what I am paying for with VMWare.   

-Mario Andretti

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
+1
I've found that with I run 1 instance of a VM in VirtualBox, it works pretty well.  However 2+ instances slow to a crawl.  So far, only VMWare has been able to handle the resources smoothly enough to make it usable.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
+1
Interesting, I never have issues with performance on my Virtual PC's with the MS product, not sure what your issue can be. I will agree though that VMWare Workstation is superior and I do use it as well as ESX quite a lot too. But for free, you can't beat the MS product IMO. I love being able to drag and drop files to and from the HOST/Guest back and forth, etc!

I also force everything to run in RAM, I ditch the swap file. I do notice disk I/O problems at times so swapping from disk will be slow. Otherwise, not sure what else tell ya - every situation is different!

X

Scrripty

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
+1
I also use some SD ram as swap disks in Win7... :)  Faster access than hard drive...  6 gigs ram, and 2 4 gig high speed swap disks.  I consistently run like 20 things in my task bar and never have issues.  Once in a blue moon maybe. :)

Offline rana70

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »