Author Topic: XBMC  (Read 16359 times)

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
XBMC
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
+1

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: XBMC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
+1
I'll give this a go.  I just sat through a couple movies on my HPC.  One DVD and one Bluray with zero issues.  I'm loving this integration and their software.  I'll be donating for sure.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
+1
What are you playing Blu Rays with? The Default XBMC player?

I edited my XML file, rather poorly I might add, to have VLC as my 'external' video player. It kinda defeats the purpose but with XBMC the BD quality was terrible.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
+1
I converted my Blurays to mkv format and just use vanilla XBMC.  I guess I haven't done much side by side comparison, but it was very acceptable on my 1080p plasma.  Where I notice a quality issue is with the DVDs.  Since there is no up-conversion going on with XBMC, that's pretty noticeable.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
+1
Just played around a little more with the Aeon MQ4 skin and it is the best skin I've used to date. Options galore!

Now for the first time I'm actually wishing I had a NAS to store my 700 Movies on. I'm currently using a 2T internal HD to play the movies I want and rotate new movies in from my External 3Ts.

H265 should be hitting the market in the near future and HD capacity should also increase in the next year or two beyond 3T Capacity.

Seeing how movie indexing software is evolving like XBMC AEON MQ4 along with the eventual changes to HD capacity plus H265 we're going to be able to build some pretty insane HTPCs in the coming years. It's not bad now but in the future it's only going to get better!

Lots of fun! 8)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
+1
Well I got my Raspberry Pi and I installed the RaspBMC OS on it so now I have a super quiet HTPC. I'm in the process of ordering a powered USB hub ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801098 ) and a SATA to USB adapter/bridge ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123312 ) so that I can basically gut my current HTPC (a mini Shuttle ITX system) and just sit the RPi inside as well as the USB hub and connect the BluRay SATA drive that I have to the RPi via the hub, then use an awesome bluetooth mini keyboard/mouse combo ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6753651&csid=_61 ) so that I don't need a power supply (RPi runs off micro USB and hub has it's own power cord) and no fans are required either. So it will be a super silent beast! I watched Shooter in 1080P last weekend (off a thumb drive) and it was flawless on the RPi! Pretty amazing for a 700MHz processor and 256MB of RAM! I might hvae to do a full write up (with pics) when I finish!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
+1
I watched Shooter in 1080P last weekend (off a thumb drive) and it was flawless on the RPi! Pretty amazing for a 700MHz processor and 256MB of RAM! I might hvae to do a full write up (with pics) when I finish!

Yes we want to know more! 8)

Where do you learn about this stuff!?

Your always 3 steps ahead when it comes to this tech savvy stuff!

Do I need to start subscribing to magazines to stay in the loop with all these devices around I have no knowledge about!?

Do a write up when you get a chance. I'm interested in seeing and hearing more about the RPi.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:09:34 PM by Ultima »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
+1
Do they have a good packaging solution for the RaspPI yet?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
+1
I stay ahead of the curve by reading gizmodo.com and lifehacker.com, however I must say that giz has been going downhill lately. Too much "RAH RAH APPLE" "BOO ANDROID" crap for my taste.

And yes, I purchased a case with my RPi and it's perfect! Nice and small! I'll take some pics tonight and post them!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
+1
Oh I like that case; thanks for the pics.  You get the nerd's gold star for the day!  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:02 AM »
+1
Oh I like that case; thanks for the pics.  You get the nerd's gold star for the day!  :)
What happened to the pics?
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »
+1

Pics are in a new thread!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:31 AM »
+1

Pics are in a new thread!
Yep, found them! Very cool ;)
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
+1
BTW, Newark.com has the RPi back in stock

I bought 2.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »
+1
I purchased one with all accessories last night. Unit should be here in 2 days but but case and some other items maybe a week or 2, but I should be able to load it and try it out while waiting.

Tags: