Author Topic: Hello. Just introducing myself.  (Read 521 times)

Offline Scooby RexTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Scooby Rex has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hello. Just introducing myself.
« on: January 10, 2024, 04:54:43 PM »
I started playing UO in 1998. I played for a few years and got frustrated and left. Coming back now for fun and nostalgia. I am finishing my Masters degree in Computer Science. So I may have something to offer in the future. Anyway, I am married to a Filipina who is still in the Philippines. We have been married almost 2 1/2 years now but the US government is quite slow with their approval process. That's about everything. Hope to enjoy this site.

Post Merge: January 12, 2024, 10:04:02 AM
I started playing UO in 1998. I played for a few years and got frustrated and left. I am coming back now for fun and nostalgia. I am finishing my Masters degree in Computer Science. So I may have something to offer in the future. Anyway, I am married to a Filipina who is still in the Philippines. We have been married almost 2 1/2 years now but the US government is quite slow with their approval process. That's about everything. Hope to enjoy this site.

Well... It's been about 2 days since I posted this and haven't been unlocked yet. So I read the response to another introduction post and it said that he had to post a lot more. So I guess I will heed that advice...

I was born at a very early age. I started coding in 1981 on a TRS-80 and VIC20. I wrote my first game on the TRS-80 Model III in 1983 (Lunar Lander). It was a simple game with minimal graphics and was played by adjusting the fuel quantity burned to land on the moon while correctly fighting the moon's gravity without crashing down or flying out into space.

I moved to Texas and then joined the Navy as a Data Processor. I wrote a couple games for the mainframe computer on board the ship. When I got out of the Navy I became a computer programmer at the Wal-Mart corporate HQ. I left Wal-Mart after about a year and a half and started consulting for other companies. That is when another programmer that I worked with told me about this Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game called Ultima Online. That was about 1999. I joined and played in Felucca for a couple of years. Back then... Felucca was all there was. After a couple of years, I got frustrated with being PK'd and stolen from. Everquest was starting right when my frustration with UO was killing my enjoyment of the game. I left EQ for WOW and Star Wars Galaxies. Now returning back to UO for nostalgia and general fun (now that they fixed a lot of the things that got me so frustrated).

My current account is about 3 1/2 weeks old. I started on the Legends shard and after GM'ing Magery and Fishing, I realized that the shard is dead. I am now trying to remove my house there but need to convert as much as I can to gold, in case I want to return someday. I now play on Atlantic, along with everyone else. All of my characters are named after Impressionistic Painters. So if you see Picasso, Monet, Renoir or Van Gogh on there... it's me. Monet is now a 5x GM with Fishing and Magery, Van Gogh will be my Miner/Lumberjacker. Renoir is the one I am currently working with to be a Tamer/Provoker/Mage. I have a smaller house over in the Malas lands outside of Luna. I managed to find an 8x11 open lot and placed the house myself.

Anyway... the help of scripts is a vital part of succeeding in UO (IMHO). I started with some crappy, generic scripting program. I then remembered EasyUO. From there I found ScriptUO. I am hoping to check it out and the many scripts that have already been created for ScriptUO and hopefully offer a couple of my own scripts soon. I am conceptualizing a GUMP window that you check how you want to do battle and just have it run, checking for anything that attacks you. When something attacks, have it automatically heal, cast, swing, etc. to the hostile baddie. Anyway, that's my idea. We will see if I can create it.

Need to know anything else? Just ask. Maybe I will tell you :-)

Is this a good enough introduction?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 10:04:02 AM by Scooby Rex »

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hello. Just introducing myself.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 03:22:52 PM »

A Very Warm Welcome!

Thanks for your expanded introduction - restricted status lifted - we hope you enjoy all the benefits of the site!

WELCOME!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.6%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello. Just introducing myself.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 04:23:40 PM »
Welcome to SUO!

Tags: