Author Topic: I'm cutting the cord...at least most of it anyway...  (Read 28929 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: I'm cutting the cord...at least most of it anyway...
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
+1
Slight adjustment to my original post with projected $85/mo Internet bill moving forward.

After dropping off my hardware yesterday and getting everything adjusted accordingly I now have my actual bill which is a straight $78/mo, no taxes or fees, for 150Mb Internet. That's it. My last two Comcast bills were both $277 and change so this is a monthly savings of $192+.

So far the only complaint I've heard, other than the single Hulu stream, was an incredulous "What?!?! No more SpongeBob?!?!". I completely understand and agree with this complaint and therefore will present a solution ASAP! :)

Tonight I move my cable modem, router, and Ooma base station from the basement to the now empty entertainment stand thus providing wired connectivity for my primary devices plus better household reception for my wireless devices since the router won't be so far away from the bedrooms, etc. Then I'll attach an external 2TB drive to the router and set it up for access from Kodi on the Amazon Stick. This drive will be my RSS feed dumping ground.

Next I upgrade my desktop from a 5 year old Core 2 Duo to an i5 with twice the memory and a new video card with the second months savings (yes, I already spent it - this IS America after all) :)

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:09 AM »
+1
PlayON used to have more Nick content.  I see they don't have as much now.  However, I think there are scripts out there that make Nick push more content to you.  Just an option.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »
+1
PlayON used to have more Nick content.  I see they don't have as much now.  However, I think there are scripts out there that make Nick push more content to you.  Just an option.
Hmmm, never heard of it. Seems interesting although their web site is frigging bare bones for detail!

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:10 AM »
+1
 Found this interesting.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/comcast-broadband-pricing-wireless/?xid=yahoo_fortune

They're going to start data cap testing to milk the consumer even more. It's a shame Comcast has little to no competition.

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 05:07:34 AM »
+1
... start data cap "testing", what a load of crap. The same companies provide the same content in Canada where the data is capped, the speed is capped and the overage charges are insane... and oh yeah, the packages are set up so you are always short on one and have too much of the other and you can't carry over what you pay for at the end of the month. They are "testing" to see what the consumer backlash is going to be!

It's surprising how much of your bandwidth is pure waste too, used for things that have nothing to do with your internet use. Examples: software constantly pinging for updates and background downloading stuff, Google pre-loading videos in the background "in case" you choose to watch them next, heck even your clock is updates a bunch of times per day automatically. If they start capping plans then you're going to want to dig in and lock things up tight or you will pay for it.

Pure greed, that's the root cause.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 05:24:02 AM »
+1
Found this interesting.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/comcast-broadband-pricing-wireless/?xid=yahoo_fortune

They're going to start data cap testing to milk the consumer even more. It's a shame Comcast has little to no competition.
A lot of people don't realize that Comcast has ALWAYS had language in our agreements that caps our data usage but they rarely would enforce it. I have had friends running large volume FTP servers get letters from Comcast warning them specifically about their data usage. They have always had provisions for charging you more money or even cancelling your service if you were a repeat offender. I believe that most of this was simply providing themselves with litigation "CYA" in case they ever needed it. Now they are just ramping up to actually enforce a policy they already had but with some additional process surrounding it.

From the article:

Under the plan, customers who use more than 300 gigabytes of data in a month will pay $10 to buy 50 additional gigabytes or $30 for unlimited data use

Honestly, 300GB is A LOT of data to transfer in a months time. Of course, if you're a household like mine who has eliminated all cable-based television and opting for Internet streaming services only it will be interesting to look at the usage numbers after a couple of months! Without downloading any torrents, for example, I never come even remotely close to 300GB a month. Even with some torrent activity, say a full season of a tv show or something, I'm usually a tenth of that. And this includes a lot of Netflix and video game time. It does not represent EXCLUSIVE streaming though so it's got me curious.

Personally I feel that I should only have to pay for services I receive and not for infrastructure to support "power users". If I only use 30GB per month why should I have to pay the same as someone using 1TB per month? I think it's reasonable for users that bring more burden to the infrastructure to bear more responsibility for the infrastructure costs. The big question is whether Comcast will be able to find a reasonable "middle ground" for the average user that isn't going to automatically put us all in the "Unlimited" category.

X

Offline Biza

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Biza has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 03:44:25 AM »
+1
I got rid of cable T.V. a long time ago, my life has improved greatly.

There are months out of the year (summer @ 115F) that I hibernate and do all my catching up on shows. Since moving out to the boonies I have had to deal with slower DSL internet. From 100 a month for cable internet, 180 a month for cable tv down to 35 a month for DSL is very nice. Even though it takes longer to get a show, I usually line up a bunch of downloads when i'm sleeping. I think I blew the lid off the cap in july/aug. Good news is gaming is just fine, my ping is fast.

From Cox to Centurylink i save about 230 bucks. BTW Centurylink has TERRIBLE customer service and even worse: every month they mess up my bill, I have to call them and sit on hold for about 20 minutes.  >:(
Quote from: TrailMyx
These are the things we look for in new users and perspective Elite members:

Quoting Elites/GMods/Admins in your siggys.

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 04:16:06 AM »
+1
I got rid of cable TV long ago too and, yes, life improves when you're not on the couch watching commercials for hours every day. Youtube/Netflix and various other services are either free or cheap and, often, you can bypass the commercials completely so paying a huge price per month seems silly.

If you are with one of the big companies odds are you are paying too much since resellers can often give you a better deal.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
+1
I too have moved into cutting cords.. I haven't cut the cord completely yet, i'm conditioning the family which i'm 90% there all I have to do is call Direct tv and cancel cable...

Netflix 11 per month
hulu if you buy a 12 month subscription on eBay is like 20 bucks.. normally its 9 bucks per month (math goes here) I ran use my roku2, and a roku stick to use hulu at the same time, but two roku sticks can not run hulu at the same time.
Comcast Internet is $90.00 - I haven't broken down and bought my own modem yet.
Roku Sticks and event the 4year old knows how to use it.
the the kids I can download the PBS, Disney, and other apps to the roku and its free if you have a cable subscription with those channels which I don't... But Mom does ;) all you need is her login and password info and if your mom is anything like mine.. your the one that set it up for her.
I pay for Amazon Prime we really don't watch to much here but its there if we need it.
I've already converted all my movies to Vudu which started out expensive so I did that little buy little.
if you looking to add new movies to vudu look up tictail stores you can buy blue ray codes for about 7 bucks a movie... another route is to connect your Walmart account to vudu, when you buy a movie from Walmart and scan your receipt the movie will automatically added to your vudu account, and you can either sell the movie on eBay and trade your vudu code for another movie.

the only downside to cutting cords are sporting Events...
slingtv is 20 bucks a month and they have esp and like 20 other channels the are live and some premium upgrades...
NHL has an app you can stream but if regional team is blocked out... (this is where I need your guys help to bounce my ip to make it look like I live in texas or far from Chiacgo)

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
+1
Ever took a look at this? My wife and I ordered one. WE do Hulu too but may drop it if this works as well as I am hearing.

http://www.gomohu.com/

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »
+1
NHL has an app you can stream but if regional team is blocked out... (this is where I need your guys help to bounce my ip to make it look like I live in texas or far from Chiacgo)

For appearing as if you are in different places, I use these guys  https://boxpn.com/    $2.99 month be almost anywhere in the world including Chigaco.

But their are plenty of other VPN services out for more and less.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 09:00:03 AM »
+1
Ever took a look at this? My wife and I ordered one. WE do Hulu too but may drop it if this works as well as I am hearing.

http://www.gomohu.com/

I read a lot of their reviews and did some research and i didn't see anything special about them with the exception that they're a little easier on the eyes than traditional antennas.

I really hope you went with the outdoor Sky version at least. I tried 3 indoor versions with 0 luck.

The best one i have is an indoor/outdoor $35 one from Home Depo. It's super tiny but it really picks up well outdoors.

I've also got a multi-directional outdoor one that i suggest to never try.

Offline Biza

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Biza has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
+1

Pure greed, that's the root cause.

Google fiber, if you wish it the will come!

It also helps to bribe, lie, cheat and steal for them.
Quote from: TrailMyx
These are the things we look for in new users and perspective Elite members:

Quoting Elites/GMods/Admins in your siggys.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
+1
Google fiber is about to invade here in San Diego.  We need something to get Cox Communications and AT&T in line.  If it was left to them, they'd have tripled my bill instead of just doubling it.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: