Author Topic: Back at it again  (Read 1822 times)

Offline SinbadSailingTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • SinbadSailing has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Back at it again
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »
Hello, I am SinbadSailing.  Apologies for getting a bit nostalgic below, but it somehow felt good to write it all down.

I started playing UO in 2003. Played almost exclusively on ABCUO for 6 years, along with a few brief side-ventures into other freeshards, the only memorable one being Xanadu. Didn't play any UO from 2010-2014, but in early 2015 I decided to install the game and check out some of the free shards that were still around. Alas, real life got in the way and I couldn't get as deep into the game as I'd like. Things have settled down now and I am making another attempt at the game that dominated my life for so many years.

I had some great times back in the day with a few irl friends who were were also obsessed with UO. We were young and ignorant and computer illiterate, but our experience was probably more fun for it.

We didn't know about Ventrilo, so we would have a group call on our primitive cell phones every afternoon after school while we played from our respective homes, having to hang up every so often to let the phones cool down.

We didn't know about Razor/UOAssist macroing, but we spent days digging through the in-game macro tool once we found it in the options menu. (I can make a hotkey to pick more flax!)

We certainly didn't know about EasyUO.

My eyes were opened to the capabilities of EasyUO toward the end of my tenure on ABCUO. By this time, only one friend still played UO and we were now at different schools and had fallen out of touch.  One day I saw that he had scored a spot in one of the shard's elite guilds, so I asked if I could join him. He said yes, and once I was in I was introduced to EasyUO and given access to the guild's script repository.  Using these scripts I could compete in pvp with the best players on the shard, and I could solo champ spawns, and I could bring in huge amounts of gold by selling the bods that were now so easy to farm. It was a whole new game, and it was fantastic.

Now all these years later I am back trying to recapture some of that joy.  I have much less time to play than I did as a kid, so my objectives are different now. I want to emphasize scripting more in order to optimize the time I spend at the keyboard. My profession is coding, and I think it will be fun to apply those skills toward developing UO scripsts.  Browsing some of the boards on this website I have already discovered some new things, notably the Stealth client which I am really looking forward to digging into.

Anyway, very happy to have found this community and I can't wait to start talking and tossing ideas at all of you.

Cheers,

Sinbad

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Back at it again
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:14:51 AM »
Welcome to SUO community,  glad you find us.   Nice into,and feel free to abuse the search box, we have lot of info.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 05:48:20 AM »

Thanks for your introduction - restricted status lifted - feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the site!

WELCOME!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »
Welcome to SUO!

Tags: