Author Topic: [UO Herald News] May 2010 - Producer's Letter  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Spaz FerretTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    2.4%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Spaz Ferret has no influence.
  • I LIKE COFFEE!!
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
[UO Herald News] May 2010 - Producer's Letter
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
May 2010 - Producer's Letter

I’m often at a loss on how to begin
updates …
So how about we make what we called
in the Air Force a “sandwich…” I won’t say what KIND of sandwich
we called it … but we press basically good information between
the not so good stuff. First,
Publish 66 is out the door, and by
the time you read this, we should have a few changes that will address
the issues with pitchers, bards not being interrupted by Pally’s,
the Bard book in the paperdoll, and a few other things you’ve helped
us find. We appreciate players actually getting on test center and taking
a look before we go to Origin. (Yes not Origins!) J 
Also, we hope you are enjoying the
attention to the Enhanced Client, as well as delivering on the Memorial
Engraving Tool. We thought getting this out before Memorial Day in the
U.S. would be appropriate.
We got a lot of work done this publish,
however we didn’t have all the time we needed to get out all we planned
… so we are planning an additional mini-66 before July. 
Most of it will be a large client update. Derek and Grimm should have
an idea on the size of the change in the next couple weeks.
The patch will have some additional
art updates, as well as some juicy additions to the Live story arc we
could not fit into this publish. Given that, this is a great time to
discuss the fiction gaps and our intent.

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=1047

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: [UO Herald News] May 2010 - Producer's Letter
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
Couldn't possibly be the army....... *cough*

I always imagined all the producers sitting around a table going...

"Now what are we going to do about those *Explicitive* scripters on baja?"

Speaking of which I have to post the picture of me chatting with a gm on one screen while doing destard with 3 accounts on the other screen........... :P
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
This is starting to look like BS but I am going to wait it out and see what arrises but I got a bad feeling about this last BS patch.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
i'm telling you it is going to target 24/7 scripters farming resources.  we need to develop some random wait subs to select random wait times and random action/skill subs to set off after a movement is conducted so many times.  They are not scanning software they are scanning the most common scripting behaviors with programs

Just my thoughts

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
The "medival" comment makes me wonder....
They might give the GM's the power to mess w/ people, like they do on some freeshards.  :-X Definately seems more geared towards the AFKers.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Scrripty

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
The "medival" comment makes me wonder....
They might give the GM's the power to mess w/ people, like they do on some freeshards.  :-X Definately seems more geared towards the AFKers.

If they're gonna go that route, I'd LOVE to see them do things like, -100 mining for a week. :)  THAT would be creative AND make them stop for a while. :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:50:21 AM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:02:21 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:19:22 AM »
Looks like i better churn these 100+ POF bods today.  POF is going UP people.

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:02 AM »
Looks like I'll be stocking up on bulk regs this week.

Scrripty

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
I love that saying.  CLICKITTY CLICK IS LAMESAUCE!  That should be OEUO's new slogan! :)

Offline Marlboroman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Marlboroman has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
just read some of the patch notes and I was shocked the general census among most of the sites is that they are blowin sunshine up our asses or it's basically a scare tactic to get us to stop scripting.  I for one think that scripting is so broad that if they tried to ban all scripters UO would drop in population so badly that EA would close the doors forever.  Also been some talk that they might use a program like World of Warcraft uses to search through our computers processes to see what if any 3rd party programs are being used.  Interesting if this would be the case because they could target the people using speeders and other programs like Cheat Engine.  Which I would agree with but I think regular scripters of uo that resource farm fill a need. Who the hell really wants to mine all day long in game and do nothing else? or lumberjack for that matter? The simple answer is no one.  Not one person can say that thier idea of fun in UO is comming home from work or what ever and sitting down at the computer and going out and pounding on a tree or a mountain for 6 more hours.  So I think EA might be a little foolish to ban all scripters thus maybe what they had in mind when they said specific scripts would be targeted. Just my opinion.

Scrripty

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »
There's a recent patch note that basically said they are going to target specific scripters first.  I'll try to find it and post it.  I believe they are gonna try to go after the people WRITING the scripts. HAHAH Wont that be a hoot.  Cause then the whole economy will crash. :)  Break all the scripts, ban the people writing them, and uo is gone in 1 year.  Max.  I'm layin cash on that.

Offline Marlboroman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Marlboroman has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
I'm not betting on that one Twinkle McNugget.  Lets just have a little fun here  in my 10+ years playing this game I have met only a hand full of people who today at this time are not using some sort of scripts.  Now lets say just for fun that UO has 100,000 subscribers which I know is total crap because probably half of those subscribers are people like me who have more then 1 account.  Lets say that UO servers Identify 30,000 people who are using scripts then they ban all of those 30,000 accounts. Now how many of those 30,000 accounts might be owned by someone who has more then 1 account.  Well let me tell ya if 1 of my accounts gets baned I'm shutting down the other 3 lol.  So essentually that 30,000 could turn into approximatly 40-50,000 now your talking about baning over half of your current player base for scripting.  That's Insane, I didn't take business class but to go from 100 profit a week to 50 sucks! guess you don't have to be a college graduate to figure that one out.  And they are right about the word of mouth except they have it backwards.  Law of averages for every 1 negative thing a person will tell 10 people and for every positive thing a person will tell 1 other person.  So by the end of it Snuffy, larry, and George will have been banned for using a scripts to bake cakes for an in game birthday celebration.  Then you'll have other people get angry and turn their stuff off and no one likes playing alone so others quit... Nasty spiral of effects here they are better off worrying about CE and speeders.

Scrripty

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
So you're not agreeing with aggreeing with me? hehe Ok...

Tags: