Author Topic: Moving items  (Read 9178 times)

Offline talkmillTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • talkmill has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Moving items
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:12 AM »
When using a simple script like:

exevent drag %item
wait %wait1
exevent dropc #BACKPACKID
wait %wait2

You can get ghost items (what i understand it's depending on lag with combination to the values of %wait1 and %wait2). Is there any good way to see if you have gotten a ghost item and how do you counter it?

The only solution I can think of right now is to search the original place of the item to see if it's still there. Then try to move it again or maybe reopen the container.

Anyone have a good solution to this?

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Moving items
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
There's a few ways to keep the ghosting items issue to a minimum.  First is to allow sufficient time between your drags'n'drops.  In your example, we've found that %wait1 should be 10 and %wait2 should be 20.  It's a bit slow, but I guarantee you'll have less ghosting issues and more stable scripts.  Plus with those delays, you will crash the client WAAAAY less.

But even this wasn't enough for the heartwood quester that requires being able to run 24/7.  So the best solution for the ghosting issue is to open whatever container you will be dragging from first.  This takes a bit of time, but it basically solves the ghosting issue. Since we introduced pack/bag opening before dragging, I haven't ever seen the quester die from a ghosted item.

TM
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
Has anybody seen any bug tracking or bug response from Devs on this issue? This isn't just a scripting issue, it impacts general gameplay just as much and can be a huge pain in the ass. I can't tell you how many times I've run into this when trying to move things in and out of the bank or even using trade windows. I don't frequent any other UO sites besides this one, WinUO, and UOGuyz (other than my guild site) so I just have no idea if there is even a status on this issue.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
Do you run into the ghosting issue under normal gameplay(i.e. no easyuo)? I guess I've never had this happen to me without easyuo....
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
Oh yeah, it happens all of the time - although maybe it's a slightly different problem. Drives me nuts TBH, I've had to get in the habit of opening packs after recalling before moving stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I moved a bunch of stuff in or out of a container only to find that the client never actually kept up (opened the bag again and I never moved it) which I think is part of the same issue.

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
Oh yeah, it happens all of the time - although maybe it's a slightly different problem. Drives me nuts TBH, I've had to get in the habit of opening packs after recalling before moving stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I moved a bunch of stuff in or out of a container only to find that the client never actually kept up (opened the bag again and I never moved it) which I think is part of the same issue.

XII

Then that's a good observation.  In my website prowling, I haven't ever heard of the whiners talking about ghosted items.  I too am curious if this problem is being tracked somewhere officially.

But that right there is troubling because it seems like some of the most legacy problems have been around nearly since the beginning of UO.  And these days, I have the least amount of faith in this dev team than any other one in UO history.

But it's pretty clear from the actions of the past year that UO is in a state of sustaining development.  Even the "new" systems introduced are utilizing existing technology.  Look at the new plant system; they couldn't even get new artwork designed for it.  Sounds like there's some good intentions in their building, but just no warm bodies to do the work mostly due to nearly zero budgeted money.

How's that for off-topic!!  BoooYaaaah!!!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
LOL, yeah don't want to derail but I had to reply...

...word...

K, back to the regularly scheduled program.

Offline Bullmoose

• Activity:
    0%
  • Bullmoose has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:28:43 AM »
his only happens to me when useing Easyuo. Never in straight game play

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:07:55 AM »
Anyone but me play with 80+ ping regularly? It is possible, if not likely, that this could be part of the issue. I don't think I've noted it as much when I play east coast shards but it's gotten ridiculous when I play Euro shards.

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »
I've always tried to play close to the server.  I just got lucky originally when I chose Napa Valley.  I tried a European shard once, but when it was so damn laggy I couldn't move, I decided to opt out of that and stay domestic.

But I'm sure that a laggy connection can only add to the general strangeness...
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »
My laptop is sometime getting really slow (some heating problem i think). That also makes the ghost items appear much more often, which also is a sign of it being lag based.

You said opening the container helps, do you mean the source container containing the item you wish to transfer? When doing that i still get the ghost item when my connection/computer lags. Guess I'll have to put in some "ghost detection" (a ghostbuster sub :D) or fix my computer ;)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »
lol, just as long as you get Sigourney Weaver back when she was HOT to be in your ghostbuster group, then I say GO FOR IT~!!!

But what I'm talking about is opening the pack from which you are moving.  That does a refresh on items that may have ghosted to prevent accidentally grabbing an incorrect item.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »
Ahh yeah, that works. But that can be a pain sometimes. Say for example you have a bod book in your backpack, you wish to remove a bod from the book, then move it somewhere, then remove next etc. Then it will take quite some time reopening the backpack say 100 times for unloading the book. The thing i guess you can do in that case is scan the target container to see if the move was successfull and scan the source container for the same item, if it's still there just ignore it.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »
Ahh yeah, that works. But that can be a pain sometimes. Say for example you have a bod book in your backpack, you wish to remove a bod from the book, then move it somewhere, then remove next etc. Then it will take quite some time reopening the backpack say 100 times for unloading the book. The thing i guess you can do in that case is scan the target container to see if the move was successfull and scan the source container for the same item, if it's still there just ignore it.

Yes, there's different games you can play.  Honestly, I only open the source pack once, then do all my moves without opening it again until I have to reference the source again.  Typically, the ghosting happens after an exevent drag/drop so as long as you get through that command successfully, you can continue to move all your items and assume the move was correct for each item.  But anytime you want to search that container again for items to be moved, you should probably open it.  You can get down to just a few open   containers and doesn't take much longer.

Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »
Ahh ok, so doing something like this would work:
(maybe add some other checks for if the move worked if needed if the move starts missbehaving)

Code: [Select]
nextBod:
gosub removeOneBodFromBook

finditem EYM C_ , #BACKPACKID
exevent drag #FINDID
wait 10
exevent dropc %target
wait 20
ignoreitem #FINDID
if %bodsinbook <> 0
  goto nextBod

(adding an ignoreitem so the moved bod wont disturb the next one removed?)

Tags: