Author Topic: What do you think? IDOC finder with rails for the entire UO map.  (Read 25873 times)

Offline solitudeTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • solitude has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
So how feasable would it be to make an IDOC finder, with rails/recalls for the entire UO map? Tram/Felluca. I am getting bored in uo, so I think I might do this, but the question I really have is, will EasyUO be able to handle a script that big? I mean honestly the IDOC recording process is easy, but I'm just trying to imagine the HUGE amount of code it would be to literally walk every single possible place in UO.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: What do you think? IDOC finder with rails for the entire UO map.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
Actually, there was a script like that on uocoders if I remember correctly.  I'll have to think about it for a bit, but I believe there was one in the VIP section that used my rail engine/recoder to create the rails, then used my scanner to log places as it found them.

So I know it's very feasible and my rail writer makes it pretty simple to do.  Really, if you don't have to worry about the railing, and idoc hunting too much, then you should be able to manage the code pretty simply..  But yes, I like that idea.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »
So be it then. If they had one already, then I guess there isn't really a limit on how big a script can be, so I'll start working on it this weekend. Now that I think about it. The rails are the only thing needed. Your IDOC scanner can run seperate from the rail process. So really all thats involved is running the entire map..

Just a thought though. The rails would be shard specific and ruined if a house/object were placed in the way. So everytime something falls and is replaced with something different it could completely screw that portion.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:48:10 PM by solitude »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
That's definitely being shard specific.  You might think about doing some generic rails for people to get to locations, but then allow for users to add custom rails to get at specific areas.  With my rail engine, you can pass from one rail to another and have any number of rails in memory.  Also, you can stop and restart a rail or transfer from one rail to another.

One thing that you have to keep in mind when you are initially recording the rails is that you must walk the initial rail, otherwise you might not sample the location correctly and things might not be very happy.  This sucks for the initial rail development, but makes for flawless rail execution after the fact.

You might look at my idoc scanner and perhaps snip out what you need; really the idoc hunting portion is the easy code since you are looking for a known list of sign types and specific IDOC text.

I'll be sure to post the PDF guide to my rail engine later tonight.  I have a baseball game to goto this evening, so I'll be away for a bit.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm not sure I can walk the entire UO map the same way twice, lol.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »
I'm not sure I can walk the entire UO map the same way twice, lol.

Lol, well if you record the rail correctly the first time, then you'll only ever have to walk it once.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »
Sol, did you ever get around to whipping this up?  I'm curious!!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
I made an attempt at doing malas back when UOC was up and running but I only got about 1/8 of it done and got too lazy to walk the entire map and rail.  But the part that I did get completed worked great and I loved it.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
I made an attempt at doing malas back when UOC was up and running but I only got about 1/8 of it done and got too lazy to walk the entire map and rail.  But the part that I did get completed worked great and I loved it.

Yeh, that's funny.  I get so distracted when I'm walking a rail and before I know it I'm browsing player venders, killing mongbats and generally screwing around.  heh.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Quagmire

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Quagmire has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:57:16 AM »
Well instead of writing a rail just draw a huge circle/ellipse  with a radius decay maybe so as you complete the circle you move in a bit. And remember not everywhere in uo there is housing. So i guess if you made recall points at the center of the circle you made could be implemented on every shard. So are the housing areas somewhat of a circle/ellipse? orientation doesn't matter. But this would involve more than 3rd grade math you get (x+y)^2*.5 lol or multivar then you get phis and thetas. (which i find just lovely)

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »
Well the issue with doing something like that is with a rail you have to be able to "walk" to it.  If you get caught on a corner of a house walking that "eclipse" then you are just stuck and will not get any further.  So specific rails for each shard would almost be a necesity.

Though I suppose if you had some sort of protection in your script that if your char pos hasn't changed in X time then it would move in such and such a way.....maybe a fix?  Dunno.  I doubt it would work though as what were to happen if you walked into a house?  Hit a teleporter?  Then your stuck upstairs in someones house lol.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:24:50 AM »
yup, that would be one large rail.  shards and time sensitive. maybe there could be a way of detecting house size and walk around it?  sounds like a team script idea, exept everyone scripts differantly..

Offline Quagmire

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:38 AM »
Well see the whole idea of writing a set of equations is so that you don't have to walk it and record certain points. this gives you and infinite amount of points correct well not infinity just (2piR / you step size). And UOAM has housing locations on it so if you can get housing data position, length and width you wouldn't have to worry about walking into a house or getting stuck. So, with the housing info from UOAM then you can just write 2 equations that offset and set back and that sub wouldn't take anytime to process. So you remembers those best fit equations from mutli variable calculus. what you think?

Offline Quagmire

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:38 AM »
WOOT HAD A BRAIN BLAST!(hurt myself)
since uoam uses markers could be make it so it uses markers from uoam then we can just simple draw our route graphically(if only there was to store housing data)!!!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
I explored doing it with UOAM but I like you couldn't figure out a way to get the housing data out of UOAM and make use of it :(

Tags: