Author Topic: Since every1 else is posting their computer problems  (Read 10585 times)

Offline HardyzTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Hardyz has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Since every1 else is posting their computer problems
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »
So since every1 else posted their problems I will post mine.  I was just recently building a new computer.  My co-worker who goes through computers a lot had some good parts that were spare he gave me.  I bought all the pieces I needed and hooked everything up.  I press power and nothing happens.  There was no noise or anything.  You would think the computer wasn't turned on.  So naturally I turned to the power supply and replaced it.  I just inserted the new power supply and tried to turn the computer on...Nothing happened.  So now I'm presuming it has to be the motherboard.  Is there anyway for me to verify this prior to purchasing a new mother board?  I don't have parts laying around so I don't know.  Is it possible it could be anything else?

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Since every1 else is posting their computer problems
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »
Make sure that your power sw connectors are on the proper pins on your motherboard, it sounds like it isn't wired properly.

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
Try what i did on mine.  Take the cable that connects the switch to the MB and see if it the computer automatically turns on when you plug it in.

Also is there any LED lights or anyhting on your MB?  If so are they lit up, if they are lit up what color are they?
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline HardyzTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Hardyz has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
Make sure that your power sw connectors are on the proper pins on your motherboard, it sounds like it isn't wired properly.

yeah i checked all the wires/rewired/secured all the wires multiple time and nothing happened.  My motherboard doesn't have led lights and nothing lights up.  I am presuming that maybe the motherboard is shot?  I bought the mb and processor off a friend for dirt cheap.  I know he didn't even use the components for more than a month.  However, its the only thing I can think of so I will buy a new motherboard and processor.  The only other thing it could be is the power button from the case to the motherboard.  However, it does not seem like there is shorts in that wire and it is plugged in properly.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
Yeah it really is leaning towards the Mobo being the problem.  Best way to test it from this point is if you have a known good mobo wire that up into the system and see if it boots that way.

If you don't have that the only other thing I can think of is to make sure that the mobo isn't grounding out anywhere on one of the stand offs or on the edge of the case.

Offline Rick182

• Activity:
    0%
  • Rick182 has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
There is a switch on the power supply that should be set to 110/120, but some manufactures set the default to 210/220. Also is it totally dead or do you get any beep codes? Also if it's an IBM product, some models are noted for this type of behavior, try this:

1. Remove the power cord from the wall, but leave it connected to the power supply.
2. Short all three prongs of the power cord preferably with resisters but any wire will do.
3. Push the power button on the computer.
4. Remove the resisters/shorts from the power cord.
5. Plug it back into the wall and see if the computer powers on. If not repeat process.

Note: Make sure the wall jack does have power, test with a lamp. Your might be surprised.

Tags: