Author Topic: Aurora Colorado  (Read 13025 times)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Aurora Colorado
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
First off, my heart goes out to all the victims.

Second, my immediate reactions were as follows (and apparently I feel pretty much the same as Cerv):

- Parents that took a 3-month old baby to a midnight premiere should also be in custody!
- Who lets a 6-yr old kid watch ANY of the new Batman movies?
- I am thoroughly disgusted with the way news media handles tragedies such as this. I think it should be policy to NEVER name a mass murderer. Let them rot in prison where no one will know their name and no one should see their face. Also, stop trying to blame tragedies on violent movies, video games, gun control, aliens, or any of the traditional scapegoats! Keep the politics out of it! Also, instead of interviewing "experts" on everything from movie theater security to homegrown terrorists to cooking (yes I'm being facetious just to make my point), how about we find out more details about the VICTIMS and try to celebrate THEIR lives instead of digging into the nitty gritty history of the killer and his family. I $hit you not, I read an article where they talked about how the killer's parents live in a 3-bedroom home that cost $398,000 according to a 2010 tax assessment. WHO THE HELL CARES?!?! It's a NEWS story, not a web crawl of Facebook, Trulia, and Foursquare!
- Apparently the police HQ is like 2 blocks away and they were able to arrive in 100 seconds (which is incredible!) and yet so much carnage had already been done
- These are the stories that make me wish I didn't live in a state (Maryland) with ridiculously tight gun-control laws!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:44 PM »
Without getting into the politics of it...

One thing that stood out to me when I saw the CNN report early in the morning was the headline. "Dark Knight" Movie massacre... or something alone those lines. I think Fox has a similar tagline.

They..the Media...can't just say there was a despicable event...a "massacre at a movie theatre.". They trump it up like it's a rollercoaster ride that everyone must see and listen to...

Who the eff cares what movie what bleepin' movie was playing. I don't mind them mentioning the title of the movie that was played within the story but the way headline is presented it's done in a fashion to drum up and garner even more attention... which obviously the event doesn't need. Everyone I met and talked to today was talking about it.

I'm no huge Batman fan or a stockholder in Paramount or whatever company made that movie but something about that headline rubs me the wrong way. To me those type of headlines are really poor taste and signify the degree of shamelessness which the media operates at.

The Media disgusts me almost as much as nutjob who perpetrated these unforgivable acts...may he burn in hell.

I agree with you 100%. I don't think the movie had anything to do with what happened. It was just a place where lots of people would congregate so this guy could do what he did. People that think the movie had anything to do with this tragedy are truly ignorant.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
.... Let them rot in prison where no one will know their name and no one should see their face.

My hope is they'll save a bit of money and just let them melt down with a bit of electricity.  Easy peasy.  Lethal injections works ok as well.  An eye for an eye is probably the most basic example of justice in my opinion.  I'm more of a "Head for an eye" kind of guy though.

Heh, it's funny.  I'm instigating a thread that I'll probably have to lock.  That's the magic of posting while drunk.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
.... Let them rot in prison where no one will know their name and no one should see their face.

My hope is they'll save a bit of money and just let them melt down with a bit of electricity.  Easy peasy.  Lethal injections works ok as well.  An eye for an eye is probably the most basic example of justice in my opinion.  I'm more of a "Head for an eye" kind of guy though.

Heh, it's funny.  I'm instigating a thread that I'll probably have to lock.  That's the magic of posting while drunk.

Please don't lock this thread. We all know speaking about politics on this site is not advised, but everyone has done a good job not doing that.  We just need to vent, even if we weren't involved with what ha1ppened. What better place to talk about something like this than a site like this where most people are close? I think this thread is a good thing if everyone can avoid political topics

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
No worries at the moment.  People are being constructive so that when I have no problems.  Like you, I want to vent especially when we're dealing with someone that does something that's beyond imaginable.  I just don't understand this kind of thought.  Planning to kill masses is just something I can't even comprehend, especially when those people are so innocent. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 05:14:48 AM »
Nice to speak out for a change lol.

Looks like we're pretty much on the same page here. The "outlet" for his actions could have been anything. I'll go out on a limb here and say that he probably wanted to make it a big deal. What bigger deal then some oversold super-event?

Now the media beast feeds on it... Take a second and think about this idiots parents. They did nothing wrong. They must be in terrible pain right now. Media all over them I bet. "Get the tents ready boys, time to destroy some more innocent people".

I don't care. I don't care about his childhood. I don't care about his education. I don't care about his web surfing habits. I just don't care. But you know who does care? They guy whose borderline already. He's sucking this up and making comparisons between his pathetic life and his new "hero's" life. Well done media, you keep setting the bar higher.

I would be completely happy not knowing ANYTHING about this idiot except a year from now when the trial is over and he's found guilty and sentenced to death. Everything else is media self serving vomit that the sheeples keep eating up.

God Bless America.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:39:06 AM by JustAnotherFace »
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Okay...it just turned political.  :P

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
So, JaF pretty much nailed it on the head for me too.

I was and am a gun man, but found other priorities for my money then purchasing a side-arm.  Until there was a man in my back yard watching my kids get ready for school.  I live in Blaine, a border town of WA state.  Since that day, I have become armed, licensed for conceal carry, Joined the NRA and have a membership to the LGC where my oldest son and I go at least once a week.  Monthly he (who is 11) and I have tactical discussions about defense and escape from the places we as a family, and as individuals go and frequent.  In the long run I sleep better knowing my 1911 is a fingerprint scan away from me in the house, and by my side when ever I choose to carry.  I agree, the end game of thinking out a crime and weighing the consequences would surely effect the outcome if more people used there right to carry. Thus making "did commit" to just angry thoughts, which then one would take the time to process more before acting.  I fear for the gun control our country thinks it wants, and urge you all to educate yourself on the laws and rights that protect you.  Damn that dude for his actions.  A website I find good things at is www.opencarry.org

Cheers.

P.s. Anyone have a suggestion for a good "wife's pistol"? we are going shopping for one soon.

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
Ultim added that as I was posting last.  But I think it was political before a single word was typed. ;D

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »
P.s. Anyone have a suggestion for a good "wife's pistol"? we are going shopping for one soon.

Hammerless revolver. S&W is always a good choice. No worries about snagging in a pocket or purse. No worries about a misfire or stove pipe from a semi automatic. Just keep pulling the trigger until she hears 'click, click, click'.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
Okay...it just turned political.  :P

Where?? No political agenda in what I posted.

Just trying to open the eyes of the sheep.

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
Okay...it just turned political.  :P

Where?? No political agenda in what I posted.

Just trying to open the eyes of the sheep.

JaF

There are 88.8 guns per 100 people in this country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Congress can't strike down the 2nd amendment without 3/4 if the states ratifying a new constitutional amendment (which will never happen)

Offline zoso1

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • zoso1 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
I can not beleive that happened. I was blown away when I first found out about this. Horrible.  :'(

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »
So, spin or o spin, I found an article related to this topic on Yahoo, surprisingly.
I enjoyed the read and found it not discouraging.

http://news.yahoo.com/calls-gun-control-stir-little-support-132319718.html

Tags: