Author Topic: Aurora Colorado  (Read 13022 times)

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora Colorado
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »

There are 88.8 guns per 100 people in this country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Congress can't strike down the 2nd amendment without 3/4 if the states ratifying a new constitutional amendment (which will never happen)

Hmm, by that estimate I solely own enough guns to account for about 200 people.

Congress doesn't have to strike down the 2nd amendment. They simply pass bills into law that violate it.  Think it can't be done?? It already has... Was the Brady Bill Law ever constitutional? Is it constitutional for any state to REQUIRE anyone to have a special permit to exercise their 2nd amendment right?

JaF

All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

There are 88.8 guns per 100 people in this country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Congress can't strike down the 2nd amendment without 3/4 if the states ratifying a new constitutional amendment (which will never happen)

Hmm, by that estimate I solely own enough guns to account for about 200 people.

Congress doesn't have to strike down the 2nd amendment. They simply pass bills into law that violate it.  Think it can't be done?? It already has... Was the Brady Bill Law ever constitutional? Is it constitutional for any state to REQUIRE anyone to have a special permit to exercise their 2nd amendment right?

JaF

Any powers not specifically enumerated in the constitution are delegated to the states. If a state passes a law that violates the constitution, the supreme court can and will strike it down.

Brady Bill is not unconstitutional as it stands today; however, portions of the bill were deemed unconstitutional by the supreme court and were removed. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printz_v._United_States )

Offline MasscreTopic starter

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
For those here that know. Where do I start to get a permit to carry/Conceal? How long does it normally take and what kind of cost is involved? I live in the state of Georgia also incase this is pertinent.

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
For those here that know. Where do I start to get a permit to carry/Conceal? How long does it normally take and what kind of cost is involved? I live in the state of Georgia also incase this is pertinent.

This should help

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »
Horay! Something for the news to leech until the next big thing.

I wish I had time to rant this up, here's my quick notes:

Yes, it's a bad thing that happened.

WHY examine this guys entire life? In the following weeks we will know more about this guy then any of us would ever want to know. Media :P

You are an idiot if you take a 3 month old to the 12:30 AM showing of ANYTHING especially something LOUD with lots of EXPLOSIONS.

You are an idiot if you take your 6 year old child to a 12:30 AM showing of ANYTHING.

God Bless America.

^ Yep, sums up what I was thinking...
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
The constitution, as it has been interpreted through our history, allows states and the federal government to pass laws that reasonably limit rights provided the curtailment is in pursuit of a legitimate government purpose and narrowly tailored to be the least restrictive alternative. Debate the constitutionality of Brady all you like, but I would encourage you to start that debate by reading both the constitution, the Brady Act, and the opinions ruling on it. Having done that, I would say: Yes, you absolutely can be required to get a permit to exercise a right guaranteed under the constitution.

I am a gun ownership proponent, have looked pretty carefully at the law and personally think that there is room for debate regarding the purpose and intent of the 2nd amendment. However, I am happy that the current state of the law gives me the right to own, conceal and carry. I lived in Chicago for a long time and am extremely happy that the Supreme Court struck the laws in DC and Chicago that essentially limited the right to bear arms to criminals. If even ten percent of people carried Holmes might have been pasted to the wall of the theatre after shooting a few people, but no way he shoots 70.

Despite this, I wouldn't mind seeing a requirement for four or five references before purchase. The whackos seem to never have friends and the people they do run into often recongize that they are unstable. What if we made them come up with five references from any adult who would say that they ought to be able to buy a gun -- and dropped those references into a database with some liability limitation for the people giving the reference? How many of the recent mass shooters would be able to get four or five references? Not Holmes, nor Cho. Seems like a reasonable way to achieve a legitimate purpuse that is narrowly tailored enough that I would be willing to put up with it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:28:05 AM by Paulonius »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »
I think that is a really good start on some restrictions that would make it safer for our families to go outside Paul. thank you for your input.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
Any powers not specifically enumerated in the constitution are delegated to the states.

All too often, people forget the rest of that sentence and the last 4 words of the Bill of Rights:

"or to the people"

Meaning that technically, we have as much right to claim those rights as the states do!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

LINK

Stories like this happen all the time. But the only thing you ever hear about is UN-responsible people and firearms.

Media....  >:(

God Bless America.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »
Good find Cerveza but myself I know this exists. Just the media does not care to portray anything that is good only that the world has become a very very bad place.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
It really saddens me that this happened and probably will happen again.   My thourghts and smpathies got out to all involved.

As to gun control.  My opinions are biased by my own upbringing.  Having grown up in England, guns were non-existant, at that time no police carried them no security gaurds, no crooks.  Times have changed overthier since i lived thier and now they have speacil police cars that do carry weapons but most police do not.

Given that background you can already tell that I am not  in favour of a gun society.  But that said the reality is thier are already so many guns in the America publics hand that it is idiotic to think that you could instantly disarm everyone  and if you cannot remove existant weaponary you cannot deny new firearms.

So my stance is that in a perfect world I would prefer a gunless society, the reality being what it is I just hope that sensible and reasonable measures are taken to limit the sale to unsuitable recipents, that being a very difficult task..(paul idea a few posts back I thought was interseting).

I felt that JAF also made some interesting points.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: