Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco  (Read 12542 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:08:09 AM by Paulonius »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
The only thing holding that system back is its graphics card. Also, not sure what motherboard is has because they never specify. If it's a decent motherboard, you could upgrade the graphics card, or add a second one in (if it has 2 PCIe x16 slots). Other than that, a pretty decent system. If you wanted to build it yourself you could probably do it for about $850.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »
One reviewer says: "The motherboard is MSI, the ram is Crucial(I think), and the video card that came with it is ASUS."  Same guy and another reviewer suggested upgrading the Vid card and power supply and dropping in a few fans.

Any recommendation on the vid card?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
I think I am going to order this thing.

-Mario Andretti

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »
How much RAM does it have?  I didn't see this.  But that video card just needs to be immediately replaced.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »
12GB DDR3 SDRAM triple channel memory (2GB x 6)
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:18:39 AM »
Any suggestion on what card I should put in it?

-Mario Andretti

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »
You get great bang for the buck with the GeForce GTS-250.  I might get one since they are $164.99 + $10 rebate.  But start there, you can get better/worse.

I use EVGA cards since their support is absolutely great!  I've had my share of problems, but they are always responsive and get my new card back to me very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:26:17 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Going to pull the trigger on the system today and I will order the card at the same time.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
The price seems a little high to me also i just glanced around at some similar items just briefly and if you build the system your self you can get it for 700 to 850 depending what brand names you want and if you can wait for a mail in rebate here and there.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-1150-TR

Looks like 134.99 with a $15 rebate on the 512.  or

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1156-TR&family=Geforce%20200%20Series%20Family

$164.99 with $10 rebate on the 1M superclocked version.

Either require me to upgrade the power supply. Guess the reviewers knew what they were talking about.

So to really complete the system I would be spending $1200:

$165 on a vid card

$50 to $75 for an upgraded PS.

I like that the builder provides lifetime support since I am no professional system builder
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:10:28 PM by Paulonius »

-Mario Andretti

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
Massacre,

Do you see a similar "close to ready" system that I could buy assembled that you think is a better deal. I don't mind changing out a card or a power supply, but I think its worth $150 to have someone else put it together for me...

This system includes the Windows with an upgrade to 7, but not other software to speak of.

I am open to suggestions, this just came closest to being something I could do in my price range of about $1,200 for this machine.

-P

-Mario Andretti

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
Ya, it seems to me to be a shame to put such a great CPU/memory combination with a wimpy PS/GPU.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
I called the builder who supplies Costco and had a guy there price out a system without the weak PS and GPU. He said they use better parts than they are selling to their secondary markets.  He priced it at $1,398 delivered with TM's card, a 600W PS and an optical drive that will read Blue Ray. 

Now this thing is climbing a little out of the price point I was hoping to keep. I wonder if I would be better off finding a local system builder to put something together for me.  Probably cheaper than either of these options...

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 01:46:09 PM »
Most pre built systems always do this.  They build you a nice machine but skimp on something they think the average user will not notice.  Video for example.  The average user does not know the difference of one or another GPU.  They are just looking to see how much memory the Video card has and that is all they know or understand.  And know I dont know of any prebuilt systems for this price listed.  Cerveza has listed my build your own computer systems web sites on this site.  They are all nice systems just depends on the items on your wish list :P . There is not really any science to building a system.  The basics are get a good motherboard for what you intend to use it for.  Make sure the CPU you buy fits the motherboard foot print and make sure the memory fits the motherboard foot print also and is not limiting the ability of the processor or bus. Get a 550 and maybe a 650 watt PS but one that has a stable and dependable output. The rest of the items are mostly interchangable.  I used to build systems back until 2007 when i got a new position where i work and did not have enough time anymore for the Computer shop and closed it then. If you prefer to go with a prebuilt system thats your choice, but if you want to try it yourself i am open for questions and will be your guide.

Tags: