Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco  (Read 12544 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
Now this thing is climbing a little out of the price point I was hoping to keep.

That's why I always build my own.  It's worth a little elbow grease to get it installed and configured.  Don't skimp on the power supply; buy a good one from a good manufacturer. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
yea my honest advice is to build it yourself. Your immediate thought may be "OMG there's no way I can do that" but I assure you that is far from the truth. If the average public knew how easy it was to build a computer yourself, all the major manufacturer's would be out of business. There are plenty of people on this site who would gladly help you build it from start to finish (from ordering parts to piece it together to installing all the software you may need), myself included. I would even off phone support if needed! hehe

If I get a few minutes here, I'll put together of a list of parts and some suggestions!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
Ok so it took me about 2 seconds to find this:

Barebones System
That system has:
Nice MSI motherboard
Intel i7 920 Processor
12GB DDR3 RAM (good stuff too!)
1TB Hitachi HD
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card
750-Watt PS
Slick looking case (decent amount of fan slots too!)

When you purchase these "barebones kits" from Tiger Direct, you're technically purchasing each piece separately, it's just adding them all together in your cart. So you can easily swap out the 9800GTX for a 250 or 260 series graphics card.

P.S. That motherboard is sick:
8 x USB ports
2 x Gigabit Ethernet
Firewire
eSATA
Digital Optical Audio
and...it supports up to 24GB of RAM hehehe!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
Only problem there is I don't think that one includes the OS.  Nice one otherwise!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline redrum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • redrum has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Myxproxy
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
MSI MB ftl.. i will only use asus i have so much bad stuff happen with other ones...

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
I've honestly never used on MSI board before (not cuz I avoid them, just cuz I haven't). I can vouch for ASUS and XFX (my current one). MSI makes really nice netbooks, but I honestly haven't used many of their other products so I don't want to say one way or another on anything. As for the OS's. Windows 7 will be fairly cheap. Also, if someone is really desperate, I can send them a copy of pretty much any OS they want! I get them free through MSDN Academic Alliance. Technically I'm the only one "allowed" to use them, but it's not like anyone ever checks that *bleep*. They give you a legit key and then you download the iso. So I can technically email you the file and the key!

Offline redrum

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Myxproxy
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »
Yeah ill never buy msi or pcchips again... awful imo

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
ASUS prolly makes the best motherboards, but MSI makes some damn good models also just check the motherboard forums for info and a background check of the model you are interested in before you purchase.  All manufactures have made a lemon or 2 in the path to try to be the best MB manufacturers.  I have had around 8 diff asus MB's and around 6 diff msi MB's and have never had one problem with them. Also BIOStar has upped the anti on thier MB division and is pumping out some very nice MB's at lower prices than competition.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »
I have a bunch of MSI motherboards and really don't have any problems at all.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »
I am completely satisfied with my XFX MB that I currently have (750 series chipset). Nice layout with good spacing for my gigantic fan. (See image below). I also have an XFX 9600 in this computer. Looking to upgrade to a 250 or 260 myself. I'll run my 9600 as a secondary (not SLI or Xfire'd or anything like that) because I want to support my max of 5 monitors (currently only have 2, but have a 3rd waiting). My motherboard combined with my single graphics card can support 5 monitors (7 with a secondary graphics card), but I think that's just a wee bit too much!! Hehe!

Offline redrum

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Myxproxy
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
is that a 120mm fan in the back?

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 05:09:40 AM »
There's a speck of dust near resistor R94.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 05:50:47 AM »
Alright, you have convinced me Maddog I am going to order a kit.  I will run it past you before I pull the trigger to make sure you think its kosher...

I suspect that I may end up with an expensive wind chime, but I will give it a go...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
Yahoo another person gives the computer DIY a try.  It really simple and just get the latest driver for each device. Dont even use the drivers they send you with the devices go straight to the manufactures website and get the most recent ones and install them in your system and you should be top notch.

Scrripty

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »
It's really easy Paul.  Not like 15 years ago... haha  Plug and play has almost come full circle.  It's a snap, like building a car with legos literally. :)  Just read the instructions. haha  Anything that crops up will just be optimizing I'm sure and we can all help with that once you get it up and running.

Tags: