Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco  (Read 12545 times)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Looking for Feedback on This System From Costco
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »
is that a 120mm fan in the back?

Yes that's a 120mm in the back. There is also one in the front underneath the drive bays that blows across my 4 HD's!

There's a speck of dust near resistor R94.

That is not dust. It is merely a warp in the time-space continuum  that happened to be caught by my ultra-fast digital camera!

Alright, you have convinced me Maddog I am going to order a kit.  I will run it past you before I pull the trigger to make sure you think its kosher...

I suspect that I may end up with an expensive wind chime, but I will give it a go...

Awesome! I love wind chimes! Let me know if you need an OS. Vista 64-bit is probably your best bet for now (I use Windows XP 64-bit and it's a pain most of the time). And you can always upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out then! (should only be about $100-150 to upgrade from what I've heard). Just keep me updated and don't hesitate to ask for help!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »

That is not dust. It is merely a warp in the time-space continuum  that happened to be caught by my ultra-fast digital camera!

Oh that's priceless!  I have the same problem, but my issue is 1000000000x worse since I never dust.  If you hear that the world is starting to fall into a massive singularity, you'll know it started in W. Escondido, CA.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
Here is you a copy of windows XP Pro for 44 dollars us if you need a decent os and hate vista and windows 7.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/WINDOW-XP-PRO-PROFESSIONAL-Ship-Worldwide_W0QQitemZ250480164517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item3a51c7fea5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
Here is you a copy of windows XP Pro for 44 dollars us if you need a decent os and hate vista and windows 7.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/WINDOW-XP-PRO-PROFESSIONAL-Ship-Worldwide_W0QQitemZ250480164517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item3a51c7fea5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Only problem is that's it's not 64-bit so he's wasting 8GB of RAM! Whereas I can send him a copy and he can use it for free!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
That motherboard has dual-NIC's on board already doesn't it?

That's a lot of power supply, probably more than you need but it will work!
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Scrripty

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
That motherboard has dual-NIC's on board already doesn't it?

That's a lot of power supply, probably more than you need but it will work!

Unless he gets a sweet video card or chooses to go dual... then that power supply MIGHT not be enough. heh

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »
Ok, so vid card is an optional upgrade.
What about fans?
Thermal paste?

Think absolute ignorant as your starting point and what you want on hand in a pile that when you are done you have a computer that works... 

My loosely applicable skills: I can tune a carborator engine and build anything from wood.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
No the Video card is a MUST buy, the NIC's (Network Interface Card) are on board (dual 10/100/1000).

CPU fan typically comes with the CPU. Other cooling fans typically come with the case and power supply. I notice that case is well decked out.

Even with a sweet video card 750 watts is probably overkill but it doesn't matter a whole lot anyway - this is a bundle deal!

Add a video card, an OS, and your input devices and you should be good to go.

X

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
Graphics card required, Check. 

I read more about the motherboard and it has Lan connections built in, so check that off too.  Do I care that the only two review say the motherboard is a piece of crap?

Input output? -- Does that mean mouse and keyboard?

Do I need some paste for when I attach the CPU?

Do I need the static mat? 

-Mario Andretti

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
When I said NIC that equals LAN ;)

I would care about the reviews but it does depend on why they say it's crap. Typically these bundle deals at places like Tiger will be loaded with components that the vendor wants to get rid of and a bundle makes them more attractive because of the pricing.

Input - yep, mouse and keyboard is all I meant there.

Paste will likely come with the CPU, if not go down to Radio Shack and get some.

That would be a negative on the static mat or straps or any other gimmic. Just don't run around rubbing your stocking feet on the carpets before you pull the CPU out of the box!! ;)

X

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
Thanks 12. 

-Mario Andretti

Offline cgeorgemo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cgeorgemo has no influence.
  • I'm Brian...cgeorgemo is Curious George Missouri
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

That would be a negative on the static mat or straps or any other gimmic. Just don't run around rubbing your stocking feet on the carpets before you pull the CPU out of the box!! ;)

X
I always just touch the computer case before I handle any of the other stuff or open any of the packages. That should remove any static on you. Once you get the stuff installed don't use this method touch a door know or window casing.
Sarcasm is your body's natural defense against stupidity.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
Order is in. I got a similar system with a mother board that users liked instead of the one I posted above, added 2 graphics cards 2 monitors, an extra fan and windows 7.  Wish me luck putting it together!

Anyone want a copy of Call of Duty 4?

Product Details:
Product Description Quantity Price Ext. Price
 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD  1  $ 149.99  $ 149.99
 Acer V173 B 17" TFT LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1280x1024 (SXGA), 2000:1 Dynamic, 4:3, VGA, Black  2  $ 109.99  $ 219.98
 Ultra Performance 120mm Case Fan - Dual Ball Bearing  1  $ 12.99  $ 12.99
 XFX GeForce GTS 250 Core Edition Video Card - 1024MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) DVI, SLI Ready, FREE Call of Duty 4 Game  2  $ 154.99  $ 309.98
 Asus P6T Intel X58 Barebone Kit - Socket LGA1366, Intel Core i7 920, 12GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600, 1.5TB SATA2, Clear Side ATX Mid-Tower, 650W  1  $ 1,069.99  $ 1,069.99
Subtotal: $ 1762.93 

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
When you get ready to set it up let me know and we can get in vent or even cell phone and I can give you assistance.  I used to do this stuff everyday so I can walk you though anything you need and if the cpu has the built on heat paste that you just peal off and viola you have heat paste on your cpu throw that stuff away it is junk and get some real heat transfer paste or i can send you some i have bottles of the stuff here ranging from 20 dollars a bottle to 100 dollars  because of the silver content.  But glad to help you when you are ready bud.  Also I maybe interested in that version of COD but is it for just your video card or its just a general release CD?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:31:21 AM by Masscre »

Tags: