Author Topic: Interesting post at EasyUO.  (Read 14307 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Interesting post at EasyUO.
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
The exact post can be found here:

http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=22

Somehow, ScriptUO was brought up.  I'm not sure if Cheffe was getting Artaxerxes' UOAI project mixed up with ScriptUO.  Anyhow, I totally missed this during my first reading of the posts over there at EasyUO until Cerveza brought it up today.

Anyhow, Cheffe states:

Quote from: Cheffe
I've read a bit on www.scriptuo.com a while back and I must admit I was a bit shocked at the way TrailMyx describes us. You should take into account that we're a very old community. The initial days were filled with interesting questions and lively discussions. Those days are long past and people are simply trying to keep the project going but sometimes get annoyed. Does that make them bad people?

So as far as I can tell, we've described the EasyUO staff as grumpy and hypocritical.  Am I missing the mark?  After reading Cheffes diatribe, I think we can also add pompous to the list.  Read his post and you tell me why he can be so "shocked" that we have disenchanted feelings over here and other people have been turned off by this kind of attitude.

It's specifically annoying for us here at ScriptUO because we really don't make a competing product to EasyUO.  It's a complimentary program more than anything else.  So why then do you delete the references to ScriptUO when it's really just something that helps the EasyUO script author?  Cheffe can easily do a search on their website to see how many times the references to ScriptUO have been deleted.  8 references in their search engine.  Only one actually still remains (for now).  Anyhow, it's still fun to post syntax checker output over at EasyUO and when people say, "wow, where'd that output come from?" we just have to say, "I'm sorry, men in black will come and 'delete' me if I mention where it came from."  That's just childish and silly.  Really.

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

Re: Interesting post at EasyUO.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:49 PM »
To me it almost sounded like he was giving you a breadcrumb. :)  But all you have to do is search Twinkle McNugget over there and I've made maybe 24 posts since 04?  And 2 of them were met with obnoxious comments... 2 out of 24?  That's not a very good ratio... :)  One was a reply from Cheffe, which although VERY helpfull, made me feel a little stupid for asking.  I can understand where he's coming from tho, even if I don't like the responses I get.  I'll find the one from Roadkill where I just said I didn't like scriptbits... wow. haha

Check this out:  I didn't like scriptbits because I was scripting and just using other's work to get ideas for my own, but I had no real urge to rate and all that.  But it didn't mean I was any less appreciative of their hard work...

http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10171&highlight=
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:15:39 PM by Scripty »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
I felt a little bit like that to, Twinkle McNugget.  Perhaps he did his homework and decided that we were getting "deleted" and was throwing us a bone.  I dunno. 

And generally Cheffe has been pretty helpful, so that's why posts like the quoted one just fly against how he normally seems to be.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »
I felt a little bit like that to, Twinkle McNugget.  Perhaps he did his homework and decided that we were getting "deleted" and was throwing us a bone.  I dunno.  

And generally Cheffe has been pretty helpful, so that's why posts like the quoted one just fly against how he normally seems to be.

Check the link I posted above.  Kind of a funny read.  It makes you feel wierd having been around longer than a lot of the mods and getting treated like that for giving a simple opinion.  :/  By the way, where are scriptbits NOW RK??? Uh huh. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:25:38 PM by Scripty »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
That's funny Twinkle McNugget.  They must have thought you were on fire because they all came to aid you by pissing on you.  lol
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
That's funny Twinkle McNugget.  They must have thought you were on fire because they all came to aid you by pissing on you.  lol

I know right?  Excuse me for not being a moderator kiss ass. :)  Did my hint of annoyance come through in that post?  I was going for JUST A HINT. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:30:22 PM by Scripty »

Scrripty

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
Seriously tho, I'm the "computer guy" for most everyone I know, and I can understand how annoying running a project like that must be...  So I cut the guys a lot of slack, and just deal with their attitudes and it doesn't bother me much.  I'm way too appreciative of their work to get upset.  And I'm happy they've kept it going as long as they have.  With some of the bs I've seen in the threads there after SA came out, I might tell people to piss off and shut it down for a month.  Just out of spite. :)  I'm glad they are a bigger person than I am. haha

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
I guess that's what makes it so annoying for me.  I'm over here running a completely complimentary project, and it gets squelched for some reason.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 01:43:41 PM »
I really like it here. All people are nice. Admins are especially nice. Please don't ban me.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »
I really like it here. All people are nice. Admins are especially nice. Please don't ban me.

Maybe after banning Cerveza we can go over there and shake some hands and bake some bread.  See if Cheffe will give us a big hug. :)  I liked how RK welcomed me after berating me.  When I'd been on the boards longer than him. haha

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Well it was a nice start to have www.scriptuo.com posted in the middle of one of his posts.  I don't think any of the subordinate moderators will feel comfortable editing his post.  lolz.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 01:57:03 PM »
Well it was a nice start to have www.scriptuo.com posted in the middle of one of his posts.  I don't think any of the subordinate moderators will feel comfortable editing his post.  lolz.

Yea I thought that was cool too. :)  That's why I said it seemed like he was throwin ya a bone. :)  One thing I've really enjoyed about Cheffe and his projects, is the free education I get learning them.  I'm always up for learning something new.  I *almost* downloaded OpenEUO to try my hand at some stuff.  I'm going to do that soon.  I'm kinda techy so reading his investigations on things is always interesting and fun to try and keep up with.  I actually learned a lot the other day reading some of his thoughts on Lua.  I'm going to jump on board the Lua bandwagon just because it will be fun to learn something new and interesting.  Plus I don't want to be left behind. :)  I kind of agree with his reasons for wanting to keep the source private for the core stuff too.  Security is a good thing.  He's always been pretty on the ball about updates.  No complaints from me.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
You should try out OpenEUO.  For someone like me, it just doesn't make any sense since I have sooooo much time and effort invested in the EasyUO side of things.  If I was just starting out, I would probably go with OpenEUO as well.  I still have hopes for UOMachine and UOAI as well since I really do like C# and .NET.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:35:50 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
You should try out OpenEUO.  For someone like me, it just doesn't make any sense since I have sooooo much time and effort invested in the EasyUO side of things.  If I was just starting out, I would probably got with OpenEUO as well.  I still have hopes for UOMachine and UOAI as well since I really do like C# and .NET.

Did you see the java one?  That one looks easier to get into for me for sure...

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
Just curious, is it in any way possible for Cheffe to take your interface and throw it on top of his core code?? Since the one person made the java version, it would seem like you could take your User Interface and attach it to his OpenEUO project. I could be missing something completely, which I probably am because I'm getting about 10 hours of sleep per week lately, but oh well. Just a thought.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: