Author Topic: Interesting post at EasyUO.  (Read 14308 times)

Offline redkittie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • redkittie has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting post at EasyUO.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »
Well I for one prefer this site anyway. Ive only had time to write one script myself so far, but I got more help here than from anyone else.  Keep up the good work.

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
@Maddog:

It's this down time for EasyUO that makes me not want to go in that direction.  If OpenEUO was really OPEN and I could actually maintain all the associated code to build a complete release, then I would in a heartbeat.  However, there's still some magic DLL out there that we'd be slave to.  That's why I have seriously entertained using other projects like UOAI and UOMachine since these two projects are truly open source.

There's a big problem with ScriptUO and what might be useful over at EasyUO.  I've have coded nearly the entire ScriptUO project in C# for .NET, and Cheffe is a noted hater of anything .NET.  I'm afraid that combination would be like oil and vinegar.

What you should be asking yourself is, "Why can't EasyUO introduce OpenEUO to the EasyUO platform and then re-instate much of the features that were lost in the 1.42 to 1.50 'upgrade'."

It's funny, I for one love the boring parts of the programming like the interpreters and user interfaces.  That part is fun for me.  I have no patience or use for the deep client interface programming.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
I liked delphi always have .. but its becoming a dead language i think its sold on now from borland to some other company.  So sooner or later its going to be part of computer history.  But it was/is a very slick fast language without all the bagage of .net

Cheffe keeps saying no one to take over only he can update.. well that is going to remain so as long as its closed source.   And 3/4 the reason why OpenEUO isnt being instantly embraced is that defaulty it cannot run EUOScript.   Running Lua is great but it is he himself that said the usefullness is the script library not the code .. so dont really make sense not to support EUOscript while slowly xfering people to lua.  Right now hes just got 2 products to support.  One old limited functions and heavy user base.. One new slick fast and unused ??

Doesnt make sense to me.  But he obviously doesnt see it that way being as he doesnt code EUO script daily like some of us.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
Programming languages are garblegook to me.

I just want a solid interface that does what I tell it, without having to learn any other commands or lingo.

Here's an example. Drag. Why would I ever drag something if I wasn't going to drop it? Seriously, why drag it then not drop it?

So I'd like to see something like...

Drag {item} {from} {to} {quantity}

Anywhossss... whateverz.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Artaxerxes

• Activity:
    0%
  • Artaxerxes has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • UOAI
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
You should try out OpenEUO.  For someone like me, it just doesn't make any sense since I have sooooo much time and effort invested in the EasyUO side of things.  If I was just starting out, I would probably go with OpenEUO as well.  I still have hopes for UOMachine and UOAI as well since I really do like C# and .NET.

Well, if you prefer the C# version then the next version of UOAI.NET which will be completely decoupled from the COM library will be a great improvement. Development of that one is speeding up right now (i have some extra time), so i expect to finish a stable version in a matter of weeks.

On the other hand i'm also planning to develop a openeuo-compatible game.dll built on top of UOAI or at least on top of the callibration-routine i use for UOAI, so if you're not specifically looking for a C# library openeuo might make more sense.

In any way, about the posts on the euo forums, I think all you should take from it is that Cheffe does read the ScriptUO forums too from time to time. Which he should... great community here!

Artaxerxes,
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:12:06 AM by Artaxerxes »
Developer at www.UOAI.be

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:30 AM »

I just want a solid interface that does what I tell it, without having to learn any other commands or lingo.

Here's an example. Drag. Why would I ever drag something if I wasn't going to drop it? Seriously, why drag it then not drop it?

Anywhossss... whateverz.

Ow but how would we then do tricks like we did with making the orange cloth... drag the quest item caste create food drop in pack pack full drop to ground.   If one drag drop commad that would be a no go lol  + and - to everything isnt thier
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04:14 AM »
Well, if you prefer the C# version then the next version of UOAI.NET which will be completely decoupled from the COM library will be a great improvement. Development of that one is speeding up right now (i have some extra time), so i expect to finish a stable version in a matter of weeks.

Glad to see that you are back and working on your project, Artaxerxes!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
Yes good to see you posting over here also Artxerxes. I am glad to see a product coming i can sink my teeth into.  Drop a link to your product if you dont mind so i can get a look at it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
Yes good to see you posting over here also Artxerxes. I am glad to see a product coming i can sink my teeth into.  Drop a link to your product if you dont mind so i can get a look at it.

There's a link to his project up in the "links" tab:

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?action=links;cat=6
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Artaxerxes

• Activity:
    0%
  • Artaxerxes has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • UOAI
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »

Should i be scared of those teeth?  :-\  ;)
Developer at www.UOAI.be

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »

Anywhossss... whateverz.

Ow but how would we then do tricks like we did with making the orange cloth... drag the quest item caste create food drop in pack pack full drop to ground.   If one drag drop commad that would be a no go lol  + and - to everything isnt thier

The trick with things like this is to have a command that can do different things given different arguments. For example, you can have a function such as:

Drag ( id, from, to*, amount*)

id and from (current container) would be mandatory.
The asterik'd ones would be optional. If you wanted to use amount, you would have to put something (or a placeholder of some type) in for "to".

ID = we all know this one
FROM = ground, container, specific container
TO = ground, container, specific container, or x/y coordinates. (the program should be able to differentiate between the different ones)
AMOUNT = fairly obvious what this is!

That way you can have the best of both worlds. Some people may not like this and would prefer a Drag, Drop, and DragAndDrop command, each separately. I see this as wasteful Microsoft-like programming, but maybe that's just me. I prefer to code with as few lines as possible!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 04:33:45 AM »
You missed my point.  If you dont have drag and drop Seperate you are not Emulating what you can do with the mouse by hand (thus ruining some methods of doing things).   Cheffe emulated what you can do manually.

In order to actually have a single command do it, my understanding is it would still need to take 3 cycles, Drag Hold Drop. Which is the same as all our subs anyways so whats the difference.    What would be nice is the ability to "include subs"  instead of calling.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
Perhaps I should say it this way...

Drag and Drop can remain separate commands.

I want one command to perform the act, and I don't want to have to put in my waits.

MOVE {item} {from} {to} {amout}

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »
Maybe have the wait also in the same command. The wait could have a default wait time, but if you wanted it to be longer or shorter (for connectivity sake) you could put in a seperate argument.

Muvete {item} {from} {to} {amount} {optional wait time}

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
So basically we want EUO with the ability to import standard function libraries!!

For Java:
Code: [Select]
import java.whatever.*
For C:
Code: [Select]
#include <stdio.h>
I think you get the point....

Anyways...this is actually a VERY good idea for EUO. The ability for someone like TM, C2, EN, etc. to make and maintain their own standard library of functions would be amazing! They would all have to be available to download alongside EUO, but if Cheffe (or TM with SUO) could implement this ability, I'm sure that the decent scripters would be able to post their's publicly and those of us who may want a personal library could write our own and keep it for our own use.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: