Author Topic: Ok im sick of cable...  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Endless NightTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ok im sick of cable...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:23 AM »

Right now meant to get 8mb/786k connection for $65 month... previously i had a 12mb/786k connection for $85 a month  + $70 for basic cable witch i  have now ditched.  When you have no real options you get shafted... On their web site they have loads of specials but if you have been a long time customer they wont give you any of the specials... which to me is completely backwards... So if i can't figure anything out I guess I will wait 6months and become a new customer again and get a special.  (all prices after taxes)

ATT offers 6mb dsl in my area... but in-reality cannot actually get more than 1.2mb regardless of the plan... the wires on my island are 2 old and I guess they don't really care to upgrade.

Miami Beach local goverment offers free wifi city wide... once you get connected its ok about 1.5mb down/900k up (Note thats better than the DSL conn!!!!).  But I have a hard time maintaining an on going connection.. and can only connect from upper floor of my house ... so without some boosting equipment thats a no go...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:04:48 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:07 AM »
One of the secrets to being cheap, is to change your service everytime your contract expires. Your always a new customer then, and can save anywhere from $500 to $1k over the time of the contract. Plus it reminds the PTB that you do have some power over them.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:16 AM »
One of the secrets to being cheap, is to change your service everytime your contract expires. Your always a new customer then, and can save anywhere from $500 to $1k over the time of the contract. Plus it reminds the PTB that you do have some power over them.

if only i had that option.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kalaka has no influence.
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »
Cox and Comcast are almost identical. Comcast has slightly higher downstream but Cox usually has higher upstream. We pay $100+taxes for basic digital cable, digital voice(phone), and 16Mb/s PowerBoost (16Mb/s for the first minute, then it's half that for the remaining time) which is standard for Comcast's triple play package.

Yeah they are. We pay a bit more than $100, but we have extra channels and hd crap and such too.

Offline Tarpan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tarpan has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
It's not a popular option, but we turned off the cable years ago and switched to watching shows on DVD. We have an antenna if we want to watch the news or PBS.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
Wow Mas, that's pretty pathetic.  Is that DSL?

LOL. Yep it is DSL and like I said earlier this is my real only option other than dial-up.

Offline FishQueen

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • FishQueen has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 03:11:32 AM »
I pay $50.00 a month for centurylink and I'm capped at a 10MBps. Most of the time it's no where near a 10MBps. though. Been having major issues with it. I watch a lot of my tv online and have a magicjack as a phone. I paid 39.99 for it and the first year service then I renewed after my first year was up for 59.99 and that covers me for the next 6 years. So, my phone bill is only $10.00 a year. I just wish I could find faster, reliable internet for less. It seems like the past few months I've been extremely slow. Called tech support and they came out checked my lines and said it's from some problem they're having on the East Coast. I hope they get it fixed soon. I don't like it when my tv shows skip and have issues. Check out CBS.com, ABC.com, and NBC.com if you ever miss an episode they post most of them the next day after they have aired. Can't help you on the cartoon issue except maybe reccomend dvds and vhss for the kid's cartoon fixes. Good Luck!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 07:55:15 AM »
UPDATE... well looks like i'm getting the best of both worlds currently.... I cancelled cable TV when i started this thread but kept cable internet.  So far i still have both services...  Its probably a matter of time before they come out and wack a filter on my line...  or its possible a tech already came out took one look at the jungle in-front/surrounding the pole and left.  (The pole is basically inaccessible without some serious machete time and compensation for said destruction)

Sadly I was actually looking forward to the cut off and a switch to simpler times, I had prepped the kids and they said they were ready for it, but defiantly are not complaining about the continuance .

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
Never turn down a freebie 8)
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kalaka has no influence.
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 03:35:47 AM »
Definitely not.

Maybe you'll keep it for months to come!

Tags: