Author Topic: Closing my Netflix account for the last time.  (Read 12763 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Closing my Netflix account for the last time.
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
Back when Netflix raised their price by $1, I shut down my account for several months.  But now that they are GREATLY raising their subscription prices, I've shut my account down for good.  I guess their stock price of $250/share just isn't good enough.  Hmm.

Anyhow, I hate when companies forget about what got them successful in the first place.

Goodbye Netflix.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Closing my Netflix account for the last time.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
man, I am so angry with them.  The service sux to pick through and find new releases that aren't mixed in with crap movies that they recently added to their library but have been out for over five years as it is.  I reduced my subscription to one dvd and tv which I do not use a lotbecause it was a reasonable price for how much i used it and now they almost doubled that cost.  I think this was a reaction to a lot of folks lowering their plans to the same one I did.  I am closing my acct too.  They can suck it for that sleezy move.  I wil either use the redbox down the road at the supermarket or just do blockbuster that has the plan i was using for two dollars more and, and, AND does not charge more for games and Blueray which I could not get at Netflix without paying even more.  Now that I have a new 55 inch smart tv coming i want some of those 3d bluerays!  Netflix is very possibly lost a customer for life with this move.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
I was actually considering subscribing to Netflix because they have some old movies I'd really like to see. Ray Bradbury's Something Wicket This Way Comes and Hawk The Slayer.

Then I read on the news last week that Netflix was increasing their prices. That was a bit surprising given the current state of the economy.

We don't know their overhead and the cost of their operating expenses. Hey...I'm not coming to their defense I'm just saying.

Keep me posted if their is something else I should know about.

I didn't even know what Red Box was until this year. I had no friggin' clue how popular they were.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
I just signed up for blockbuster.  They do not offer streaming like netflix but they do have on demand and give you 25 dollars free demand cash when you hook in your device.  if they were to offer the streaming of tv like netflix, they would take over the market.  I'll let you know what I think.  God it was easier to navigate and find movies in their new release section.  it was only real new release movies.  go figure... what a concept.

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
oh yeah... blockbuster takes paypal which is killer!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
I think me and ST beat all of you to it...we cancled a few days ago. The service sucked anyway, then the price raise...screw them.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
I think me and ST beat all of you to it...we cancled a few days ago. The service sucked anyway, then the price raise...screw them.

I kinda liked the streaming stuff, but after the first little bit of good stuff, you're left with 1000s of crappy movies.  So I just never really used it.  I mostly used the disk exchange service.  But even that got old after a while. 

Anyhow, nearly doubling the fee without increasing what you get from it?  That's where I draw the line.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
We have it here in the house but being in Canada(Canuker) the service and selection is much more limited then in the US.  I have it simply for my older girl to watch older cartoons that the wife and I approve of, we have watched the odd movie ourselves but not much.  There is a BBC Dr Jekyll mini series that I would recommend you watch before your sub runs out called Jekyll if I recall.

Netflix had ran into issue's in that the contracts they had are starting to expire and the content is getting much more expensive to "rent" from the studios.  Have a look at the latest few stories on Bloomberg or Reuters and you will see what the issue is.  I don't think its a cash grab so much as the overhead has gone up four-fold or greater.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »
Canuker that has to be the meanest Avatar I've seen.  :o

I thought all Canadians were supposed to nice!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:08:38 AM »
I was already thinking about going to streaming-only with them so, although I also think this is a damn stupid move on their part, I decided to simply drop the DVD and now I'm paying $2 less anyhow. I'm sure I don't have much time left with them though, between Comcast On Demand/Xfinity, Amazon Prime (free streaming), eztv.it, and Red Box I surely don't need Netflix anyhow.

When successful companies realign their pricing structures like this it usually preceeds other changes. Considering that this takes a 9.99/mo membership and turns it into a 15.98/mo membership I would be very surprised if we didn't find that they were working toward phasing out or minimizing their physical distribution while beefing up their streaming options in order to save money. They aren't stupid, they know that they will lose a huge percentage of their DVD subscription base by doing this. So you have to ask "why the Hell would they do something so drastic?" - I believe this is a purposeful nudge of their customers over to the side of the house that they want their customers to be in.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »
Heh, well they purposefully nudged me off the boat!  I'll get my streaming content from Amazon.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 04:46:52 AM »
Well, the problem that I saw was two fold. When we first got it the streaming seemed to work like a million bucks for us. Then after about a month or so we started losing connection 5-10 tines during a movie. I have the cable dudes out 5 times replacing and checking lines, and even ended up getting a new package which doubled my internet speed to 15g, and still I either lost conn multi times during a movie, or it would fail to load to netflicks to begin with.

The other problem, was the same as TM said. You had a couple of weeks/month of good stuff, then all that was left was crap. I never understood why, for instance, you could watch say...The Cube 2 Streaming, but had to order The Cube?!?!?  I want instant gratification. If I saw one of you guys make a reference to a movie, and it sounded good, I wanted to go find and watch it, not wait 2 days to get it. Oh well...we wernt using it hardly at all..in fact some months not at all..so I just saved myself $10 a month....waitaminute...I saved $10 a month?????? Isnt that about the price of another U.O. Account if I pre-pay for 6 months??  Hmmmmmmm......
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
Gotta have the physical DVD, otherwise I can't...ahem...well, let's just say I need it.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/22/technology/thebuzz/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

Looks like C2, TT and TM aren't alone!

I wonder if they will backtrack when the next report comes in?

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • RIP Pen Trick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
well peeps will probably leave their accts as is until the change starts in september.  this coming report wont show the true impact just yet.  a large majority will just do one of the 7.99 plans instead of both leaving a two dollar loss per customer.  it will impact them; i just dont know how much.

the big thing is charge more, serve less, and still make the same amount of money.  This equals less tax on servers and less people to pay on payroll.  it is not the worst business move.  the company isnt looking to make friends but do the least to keep the margin.  hell why not!

Tags: