Author Topic: So long, and thanks for all the fish!  (Read 29069 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
So I've been out of the scripting business for quite a while now.  I've also been pretty much out of the UO business for even longer.  I think it's time for me to hang up everything for good.

So with that, at the end of the month I'm going to put the site into maintenance mode so that it can be used as a reference, but all new content and development will end.

Now if someone would like to step forward and take things over, we can talk about doing a transfer so that the site can proceed forward.  I've got some pretty high standards in that regard, so if it's not transferred to the right person(s) then I'd rather see it just go dormant.  This community has been through too much with losing content, so I don't want to see that happen and I won't let that happen.

So with that, it's been fun.  But as they say, "All good things do come to and end".

And yes, it's not April 1st.  heh

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:50:57 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
Ouch, you're like one of the pillars keeping a lot of us "in the biz" (20 years later!). Sad news indeed.

This community has been through too much with losing content, so I don't want to see that happen and I won't let that happen.

Thanks for that. Now that Cheffe is mostly dormant too anyone who doesn't know how to update after a patch will literally be unable to keep scripting, perhaps a guide on how to do update could be written by someone who knows the process? I'm able to write my own stuff at this point but have relied on you guys to keep updating since you know more than I do, I doubt I'm alone on that.

What about rebirth, still going to maintain that? When UO went down yesterday I actually played there for a lil bit, lol.

Anyway, all of the above is selfish but it comes to mind so I figured I'd mention it. My biggest feeling here however is simply thank you, for this community, these forums, and answering so many of my questions along the way. I wish you the best moving forward, it's literally been a pleasure learning from you.

All Hail the legendary TM!!

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Well damn. This is worse than UO itself shutting down.

Thank you for everything TM! After UOC went down, you brought us all back together here. I appreciate your years of dedication to the community! It definitely won't be the same without you!

Offline Rocko

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Rocko has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
Thank you.

Post Merge: October 17, 2017, 02:35:41 PM
....anyone who doesn't know how to update after a patch will literally be unable to keep scripting, perhaps a guide on how to do update could be written by someone who knows the process?

All Hail the legendary TM!!

I second that.  I wish I knew how.  Anyway, thanks again TrailMyx.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:35:41 PM by Rocko »

Offline pixijayne

• Activity:
    0%
  • pixijayne has no influence.
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
Dearest Trailmyx aka TM.

I echo all the sentiment that others have posted before me and will post after me.  This site is probably one of the only sites that keep me playing Ultima Online.  I have played for over 18 years and I have been a member here for over 10 years.  Your dedication to these Forums is unmatchable.  Who else could there be to put in the time, energy, insight, and knowledge that you have done all these years?  I hope someone steps up and grabs the 'bull by the horns and runs with it'.  I for one do not want to see the living part of these Forums just wither and fade away, as you state it as "only a reference". 

Many thanks to you for sharing this with me and the entire Ultima Online Community (including the free sites).  I really appreciate everything that you have done for us here.  You have guided, took people under your wing, and inspired others to take up your torch.  Scripting is not easy.  It takes patience, time, and energy.  Oops, I forgot knowledge, plus a willingness to learn.  You gave us all that...!

I have tried to contribute where I could and will continue to (if I am allowed to).  I am by no means a Scripter.  I just love, use, and respect what it takes to put your focus on writing one (or more).

What else can I say...if and when you do take off, please crack the door open and at least say "Hi" once in a while.  You will be terribly missed...!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:01:42 AM by Oracle »
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline cybercasper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:46:04 AM »
TM it cant be time to hang up the shoes yet. I have been part of this website for years now and just like many others you have helped us in many ways. I do understand scripting for you isnt the real reason you kept this site going. this site is more of a family type community that shares ideas. its going to be hard to see you go. the difference between you and cheffe was that you actually took some time to chat with people and that can never be forgotten. i do wish you good fortunes in the future whatever it may hold but remember that there are many many of your UO family that will miss you.

Offline ErwinEUO

• Activity:
    0%
  • ErwinEUO has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 05:24:47 AM »
Thanks so much for all your help and for the community - I still study your subs regularly for tips and best practice.  Wishing you the best of luck in your break from UO!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
This community you have founded here is one of the most positive and respectful within all the UO based forums/sites.

In this day and age of sites full of entitled SOBs, dweebs, and soulless entities, it was kinda fun to force a little civility via throat-punch and degradation.  heh  Thanks for noticing!  :)

... the difference between you and cheffe was that you actually took some time to chat with people and that can never be forgotten.

Yes, that was really the main drive to create this place.  I could see a community wanting to happen, but it just wasn't going to without a little support from the staff.

What else can I say...if and when you do take off, please crack the door open and at least say "Hi" once in a while.  You will be terribly missed...!

I will drop in from time to time.  I won't completely disappear.  My EUO scripting knowledge will though... heh

Well damn. This is worse than UO itself shutting down.
Thank you for everything TM! After UOC went down, you brought us all back together here. I appreciate your years of dedication to the community! It definitely won't be the same without you!

I honestly really enjoyed it, OID.  I really do love this community.  Once people submitted to the will of, well just be nice dammit, then it was a pleasure.  UOC was a lesson on how to "not end a site".  This community will survive; one way or another.

My biggest feeling here however is simply thank you, for this community, these forums, and answering so many of my questions along the way.

You are welcome!  It's been a pleasure, Gem
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:27:49 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline stevenintx

• Activity:
    0%
  • stevenintx has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
i wound love to tack it over. i wound need u to help me/teach me how to up date easy uo went its patch so w can ave it here. but besides that i dont mind tacking over hit me up

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
Sad news indeed.  You will be missed.  Thank you everything you have done.  I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said except thank you! 
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
When you get to Seattle. Dinner at the Metropolitan Grill is on me. Prime Filet, 4 oz., American Wagyu Filet, 4 oz.  & Ohmi Filet, 4 oz.* 125$ plus Alaskan King Crab Legs. Market price as always. You're paying the tip. They have Hokkaido Snow Beef too, but that's 120$ for a 6 oz. filet. The other way you get to try 3, 4 oz. steaks for 125$. Much better deal. Just let me know.  ;)

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Near pier 55, and to help you digest this big steak, a walk to the aquarium.    The Canadian sailor love this area.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
+1
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: