Author Topic: What is the difference between Win 8.1 OEM and retail version?  (Read 8673 times)

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Just curious bc the oem Win 8.1 64 bit is $89 and Retail 32/64 bit 8.1 is $99 but not clear on the differences.... 

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What is the difference between Win 8.1 OEM and retail version?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
OEM means you get no retail packaging, just bare bones CD and key. Worth saving the $$ for sure.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
Microsoft used to make it so you could only install an OEM version on a new computer install.  If you tried to install on a computer that already had an OS, it would prevent you from doing that.  I dunno if they are still that anal about it.  Perhaps not now that they almost killed the PC industry with Win8.  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
You get the same package but instead of coming in a big fancy box, it has a plain little sleeve. You cannot upgrade previous versions with the OEM 8.1 but it's really no different. I have been using the OEM's since win vista. Win8 is not bad once you get use to it. It reminds me of when MS brought out vista. VIsta was a memory hog but was a decent OS but it was so drastically different from XP that people hated it. Win8 is the same way. I am using the apps more than I thought I would and it is nice having an apps section and a desktop section. A little over a month in to the change and I am liking it.

Offline AlphaTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »
Ahh ok thx.   Looks like I will save $10 and just go with the OEM.

Tags: