Author Topic: need help from the pvp pros out there  (Read 6830 times)

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: need help from the pvp pros out there
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
40 Med won't cut it these days... If it's not a Mystic character I ALWAYS run 100 Med or greater because at 100 you get a small bonus.   If I remember correctly the 80 dex requirement for parry simply means that if your 120 parry + sheid + 80 dex you have a 35% to block any attack that would otherwise hit you.   For every 10 dex less than 80 you lose roughly 3% chance to block from what I recall.   I'd definitely set myself up so that when potted up Greater STR / DEX & cursed by a 120 eval/mage that I end up at 80 dex.

40 med cuts it perfectly fine. You just have to know how to play the template correctly and effectively. The majority of my mage templates these days dont even run med, I kill plenty of people solo, outnumbered, and with a group and almost never run out of mana between making picks to sync, xhealing and throwing well placed fields.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »
This one was fun, but required a bit higher Dex to be Useful. had to build basically a "Stat" Suit that Boosted your Stats like mad.

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
80 Healing
100 Meditation
80 Parry

Usually just a straightforward 120 Med/Eval/Resist/Wrestle/Parry/Meditation is usually a good start before you start playing with hybrids.

I recently broke out my old healing mage, they may not do as much dmg as my scribe, mystic or necro mages but they're literally unkillable. Setup macros to use faction bandages also to beat the apple timer as well as separately using enhanced bandages. Magic arrow yourself before going into a situation where you know you're going to take alot of dmg to get a headstart on the healing timer.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Yup, I won a few Field Mage Duels with that template. They kept trying to push thinking i'd go on the defensive.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
I run a human nox/scribe mage and am running into two other characters and they eventually kill me.  The other two characters are a dexor and a archer.

I have to agree with 12TO's and manwincs initial posts.   The hand that strikes also blocks, is the real world adage.  If the goal is to dissuade or defeat them, simplest tact might be to first even up the numbers.  Gankers may not even attack when the odds are more balanced.  In that case, if seeking engagement, you may have to waste some skill points on one of the templates for some hiding/stealthing capability.  Plenty of handicap right there, without being outnumbered to boot.

Offline bodfather

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
Trained vollems do some work if you can get in some choke spots. Open field they're mediocre at best and die easily but they'll still even the odds some.

Offline HobyTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Update: went and made mage a nox parry mage with wrestle.  I now have help also.  This morning ran into the archer and was able to take him down really quick.  Love the sound of arrows missng, plink, plink.  exp, curse, poisen, fs,  lightening lightening  oOoOoOoOoO.  There was even another mage there that i took down also.  What fun.  Only have 40 med so I try to be conservative on what spells, mana doesn't seem to an issue at this time.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Well.. with 40 Med on that setup the guy that has 120 Med (Assuming ~20 MR on suit) will have about 42% more passive Mana regen than you.  That is a large difference in my book, but it depends on how you like to fight.   I HATE having to bail (aka run around etc) simply bc I don't have the mana regen to just stay on screen and DUEL and opponent down etc.   I'm also the kinda guy that would attempt to exploit my opponent having a much lower MR than me by just turtling and going defensive until he's mana dumped and THEN you put the pressure on and keep it there hopefully NEVER allowing him to do much beyond using his mana to stay alive...   Parry is nice on a mage though simply because of it's random aspect.   You'll get kills just because the other guy misjudges and says "I'll hit him i the next 2 swings for a kil"  when instead you actually parry both allowing you to combo up.

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Sure, in 99% of my situations the person might have more mana/passive mana than me. But that's only for as long as he's alive. I play my characters to make kills and get objectives, not to turn fights into long winded timewasters. "Dueling" in the field is about as useful towards achieving an objective as not showing up to help your guildmates. As a shotcaller for the multiple groups that I run with, I discourage people from this sort of behavior and usually tell people if they want to sit and duel during a field fight/raid or cry about how the people who ganked them couldn't possibly fight them 1v1, then they are more than free to leave and sit at yew moongate, because they're useless to the team with that sort of mentality.

On the other hand, if you're main job is to lay fields down during the entirety of the fight and sit primarily on the backline to res people and throw crossheals, then yes a template with meditation and suit geared towards high mana regen is very useful. With the three main people I run with though as my core, we need damage over passive mana though as we do rolling syncs dumps and generally kill a high percentage of the people we turn and sync on to.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Tags: