Ultima Online Fan Board > General UO Chat

What has kept you with UO?

(1/4) > >>

TrailMyx:
I was thinking about this today, and thought I wanted to ask ya'll. 

I find myself coming back to UO each time for some reason.  Script writing does tend to be a big reason why I return, but there still is something else to it I believe.  I remember the first time I left to persue the Everquest beta, I thought I would sell my UO account and never return.  I'm glad I didn't sell out since after that point I knew that every other game would be a general diversion before my ultimate return.  Having played sooo many other MMORPGs, I can safely assert that UO is STILL the most complete world out there and also the most complex as far as player content and economy.

Also, there's no other game out there that I could have introduced my RL Mother to and have it "stick".  I gave the renaissance disk to my Mom back in 2000 as a joke really.  I had no idea that it would stick and she'd still be playing to this very day.  Now if I can get Mom to be a contributor to the site.  lol, that'll be the day.

TM

Hardyz:
I only keep uo because ever since my account turned 2 years old like 5 years ago I haven't had the heart to cancel it

12TimesOver:
Heh, I can relate to both of you (excepting the Mom part).

The biggest reason for me is the inability to let it go as just a game. It took so much work to build what I've built up in the game and it has a real-life, psychological value even though it has next to zero monetary value.

The people would be another reason, there are a few in particular (between the guild I've been in for five years and some of you I met through Coders) I would miss talking to in Vent or working together with on game related "projects". Definitely not my primary source of socializing by any means but there are still relationships there even though they are virtual.

X

TrailMyx:

--- Quote from: 12TimesOver on June 28, 2008, 06:31:44 AM ---Heh, I can relate to both of you (excepting the Mom part).

The biggest reason for me is the inability to let it go as just a game. It took so much work to build what I've built up in the game and it has a real-life, psychological value even though it has next to zero monetary value.

The people would be another reason, there are a few in particular (between the guild I've been in for five years and some of you I met through Coders) I would miss talking to in Vent or working together with on game related "projects". Definitely not my primary source of socializing by any means but there are still relationships there even though they are virtual.

X

--- End quote ---

I understand you for sure.  I probably would have just left things to rot if it wasn't for some of the really cool people that surfaced over at coders and even before at winuo.

But with UO, I guess it never really forced me to do anything, so it's always been comfortable to come back to.  AOS was a difficult pill to swallow due to how it greatly changed the game and the items involved.  I dearly miss the days when the game was more about skill instead of how much cash one has to put into their uber-suit.  However, I also really do enjoy the layers of the game that were added because of this.  So I love/hate AOS content.

Nicar:
Ok, so what keeps me, I had a 6 month break awhile back, about a year and a half ago. That was after a year or so playing with my girlfriend, we tried to quit, but, well, the game has what atleast, I like in a game, with the banking, housing, characters and skills and such. Been about 10 years playing, started with my brother, been in a few quilds, different types, and yes, AOS was rough for me too. Skills before cash/speed/hack, I miss those days. I ran around with 80s max, and I could take on 3 people with GM skills in almost all 7 categories, and I'd come out on top. Also, at beginning of speed hacks, I could still take them out cause I "played" better. Anyways, it's a nice way to waste time, it's my entertainment, I can sit and craft, do bods.. or I can go out and take on some monsters and such. I just miss peerless right now.. guildless and all, but I'll find a way to solo it eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version