Author Topic: New old player :)  (Read 3802 times)

Offline jkiltonTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • jkilton has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
New old player :)
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
Hey all I'm Jkilton. I started playing UO back when T2A was introduced.  Then after many years I stopped playing and moved over to World of Warcraft.  I played that for a few years and got extremely bored with it.  So I have recently returned to the world of UO.  It just feels right being back here.  As far as scripting knowledge? well I am trying to refresh myself on scripting.  It has been a few years but I would guess it is like riding a bicycle you never forget how to.  Anyway that is me.  Oh and I am obviously old sicnce I started playing so long ago.  I'm 34 years young.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New old player :)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
34 ow how i wish i was that young still..... anyways .. nice start on the intro, expand on it some.. see others for ideas... tell us about your play style types of chars or bla bla ..   WE like a meat on the intro bones...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Goliath

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Goliath has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
Welcome... Once you get the intro bugs worked out I am sure you will love the site.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:12:58 PM »
Back in the day I played on Pacific and there was absolutely no land for houses. To get a small house was a big thing.  I do remember that back when trammel was introduced and the mass chaos that it caused.  The servers would constantly crash.  I spent days waiting for them to open up housing.  Then when they did they wiped all spawns to reduce lag. I ran around for hours trying to place a house with a dial up connection.  The lag was insane.  I was running through the woods north east of Brit looking for the smallest hole to place a house and a dragon that someone released killed me.  This sucked because there was no wondering healers do the the spawn wipe.  Luckily after about 1/2 hour a nice citizen rezed me.  Needless to say I did not get a house placed.  During the months to maybe a year after Trammel I and my guild did a lot of IDOC camping.  These were great times.  Then OSI turned off the house deterioration and we went out of business.  I continued to play on playing mostly my mule and my warrior.  Then they introduced malas.  I was able to place a nice 18x18 house close to luna.  It was about this time that I got bored and transitioned over to my bard/mage.  I played for a year to a year and a half more then took a break.  I was gone from game for about a half of a year.  I then came back and started fresh on Atlantic.  I played mostly a tamer and T-Hunter.  I played for quite a while but things were not like they were in the old days. So I moved on to different games. 

I tried Star wars, Final Fantasy, and WOW.  I found that they were interesting at first but I quickly became bored with them.  I decided to try UO again.  This time I started fresh on Legends.  I was able to get a Castle.  Yes a Castle.  when I got my castle I told my wife it was like winning the game there are no higher goals.  I played on until Mondains legacy and Stygian abyss came out.  I like everyone else had created a Imbuing Gargoyle.  After about 3-5 months playing on the Gargoyle I lost interest and canceled my account. Until June of this year I decided that I was going to try some free shards and see what kind of things they had to offer.  I had actually run a small shard of my own for awhile but I got too busy to keep up with it.

So here I am now running on a couple different free shards and thinking about going back to the real deal but not sure if I want to start paying the amount of money they want for a game that not many people are playing on anymore.  I see more people on the free shards then I did when I last played on OSI.  I personally believe that OSI should make the game free and sell special items or do other tricks to get their money.  A lot more people would play and they still will profit.

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
I spent days waiting for them to open up housing.  Then when they did they wiped all spawns to reduce lag.

That reminds me of when SE was released in 04. I played on Drachenfels at the time, and they postponed housing because of an error in shipments to Europe. I spent days waiting to place a house in tokuno (is that the facet name? i dont remember)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
Yeah I had forgot about SE.  I didn't care for that expansion at all.  And I already had good housing conditions at the time so I did pay much attention to the housing situation.  It seems to be a problem every time they add more housing.  They should just open green acres to housing.  :P

Offline Guadah

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Guadah has no influence.
  • Who farted?!
  • Respect: +29
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • L%N Website
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
SE Was the final straw that broke UO's back.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
Welcome Jkilton!

Much much better introduction the 2nd go around. ;)

I hope you enjoy the community here at ScriptUO as well as the wonderful scripts!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
SE Was the final straw that broke UO's back.

I would say ML was. SE added some things to the game, but didn't screw it up as drastically as ML did,

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
welcome, restriction lifted

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
so why does it still say restricted - or is it me?

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »
because gimlet = noob lol :D

it's not restircted for me

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
hmm newbee now!

WELCOME!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
welcome...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Guadah

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Guadah has no influence.
  • Who farted?!
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
    • L%N Website
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
I suppose if we should talk about it, let me break it down (IMO Style).

I started playing UO in 1998 with 'The Second Age'.  This was an excellent expansion to the game (I watched a co-worker play from before this expansion), bringing into the game T2A.  I LOVED This area and spent a ton of time here.  Great way to expand the mass of the game without changing the playstyle, look and feel.

Renaissance came a few years later, bringing with it the split of Trammel and Felucca.  This was not a great idea IMO, not because of the 'Non-PvP Facet' but just duplicating the landmass.  If you want to make a Non-PvP facet, make a Non-PvP SHARD... don't blindly increase landmass for no reason, other then catering to one style of gameplay.  

Third Dawn was a useless expansion, with a pointless 3D client that was poorly done and a waste of money, time and workload for employees.  In their effort to push this PoS they made the landmass Ilshenar only accessible if you used 3D.  I went there once during this expansion, and never used it again.  It hurt the eyes and was just an all around PoS attempt at competing with Everquest.

Lord Blackthorn's Revenge gave us the ability to go into Ilshenar with the 2D (or normal client) and changed the way character's were created.  I don't know if any of you remember the original character selection screen.

Age of Shadows changed the game forever, but they were changes I could handle.  Regardless, they released this with poor decision making and in turn made the game Gear-Based vs Character-Based.  PvP was crushed at this point and only the rich (or those with an abundance of time) could compete.  Paladins, Necromancers, House Customization were some of the best game additions UO ever had.  They kept roughly with the theme of the game and IMO House Customization was and is, without a doubt, the best thing in any MMO out on the market.  Major downfall of AoS Expansion:  Luna.  This was one of the larger error's that UO Staff had brought into the game.

Samurai Empire was the last straw for most of the players I knew.  To appease the oriental players (Japan, Korea etc) they released Ninja's and Samurai.  WHAT THE F.  What the HELL does that have to do with Ultima.  NOT A DAMN THING.  Tokuno was a waste of space.  Another expansion of land that barely gets use.  You get my position on this expansion, I can cuss about it all night long.  I hated this expansion and believe it was the end of the game of Ultima, and the beginning of Bullshit.

Mondain's Legacy brought about Elves.  This was (at the time) one of the most stupid decisions that the staff had ever made.  WHY ELVES?  Elves are very cliche and have nothing to do with Ultima Online.  Again, WHY ELVES!  There were 2 perfectly original races that UO could have chosen from with Gargoyles & Meers.   Meers would have been my ideal choice, being they are original to UO.

Stygian Abyss & High Sea's I did not really get to play and was not playing during the expansion release.  I had my fill of bullshit fed to me at this point and moved onto other MMO's.  However I think Gargoyles were a nice addition to the game and the makeover of Ships was due.

Tags: