Casa de TrailMyx > Hardware Design

Broke the Computer! :(

(1/5) > >>

Ultima:

TrailMyx:
Some OEM manufacturers actually use a thermally conductive adhesive for the CPU/heat sink.

Since you are trying to replace a mobo from a compaq, sometimes the cases are nearly proprietary sized, so be careful with what motherboard you choose.

If you need to find and exact match, I'd look at Ebay.  That's a great place to find exact replacements for OEM hardware.  Just find the part number for the motherboard and do a search.

Ultima:

--- Quote from: TrailMyx on September 17, 2011, 09:10:15 PM ---Some OEM manufacturers actually use a thermally conductive adhesive for the CPU/heat sink.

Since you are trying to replace a mobo from a compaq, sometimes the cases are nearly proprietary sized, so be careful with what motherboard you choose.

If you need to find and exact match, I'd look at Ebay.  That's a great place to find exact replacements for OEM hardware.  Just find the part number for the motherboard and do a search.

--- End quote ---

I just went down stairs and got the CPU separated from the heat sink and sure enough there is a boatload of adhesive placed on the heat sink and the bottom of the CPU that was causing it to stick! Why the hell would they do that? Is that common practice within the industry?

The thing about replacing the computer I don't want to spend money on stuff that was from 2005. I was hoping to get a motherboard and CPU that would fit in the chassis that's 2009 or later. Doesn't make sense to me to spend $100 or so on hardware that's semi-obsolete. 

Are you saying even if I find a Micro ATX that is 9.6"x 9.6" there is a good chance the nuts and bolts won't line up with the board because of HP Compaq's proprietary build?

I might be handing over one of my two computers to my friend.

TrailMyx:
If this is 2005, compaq was following more normal hole patterns so you should be OK finding a decent motherboard for cheap.

Khameleon:
when you first install a heat sink and CPU there looks like a small square of adhesive after it has been warmed up it kinda melts and creates a bond to each other this is typical procedure....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version