Poll

Would you support this process

Yes
6 (60%)
No
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The new election process.  (Read 7890 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
The new election process.
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:54:18 AM »
We've become obsessed with image. Easy data access has changed the way we think and it's a shame to have to say it, but it's making us dumber.

There are a lot of Americans out there who have no idea about the issues. All they know is what the media feeds them, which they regurgitate amongst friends in a kind of doltish buffet.

Please don't post anything political here, just whether or not the following process would be a good one.

Put down a list of issues. Then put down choices for each issue. Voters select the choice they most agree with. When completely filled out the candidate who most closely meets the choices made is voted for.

Example:

1) Abortion
a - Free Choice
b - Right to Life
c - State Choice

You mark the stance that most closely represents your opinion and move on.

Perhaps the candidate voted for isn't even shown :O , instead of so much focus on the person, place the focus where it belongs - on the issues.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The new election process.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
I like it, but think that framing the issues without dropping in bias is really hard. Your example illustrates this point a bit. If I were to frame abortion as an issue based question I might have options that looked more like this:

A. Abortion Allowed 100% Woman's choice
B. No Abortions Allowed
C. No Abortions Allowed; exception for rape and incest
D. Abortion allowed 100% Woman's Choice in first trimester, thereafter disallowed (This is essentially Roe v. Wade)
E. Abortion allowed for people who are ugly or have low IQ
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
At first read, my initial response was "Yes, without a doubt. What an awesome idea!".   

But after thinking about this for a few, I think it could be a little dangerous.  Considering that candidates have access to polling and the general feel that the masses have for specific issues.  It would be extremely easy for someone to simply choose the most popular answers to the questions when they decided to run for office.  In effect, we could have multiple candidates that met the exact criteria for most peoples ideals. 

All the while, their hidden agendas would not come to full fruition until after they were put into office.  I know everyone has hidden agendas in government, but I believe this concept might really backfire. 

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
Also there needs to be a scale of 1 to 10 on each item of importance. For example I might weigh a president elect that was against abortion higher as an ideal than one that was going to make sure traffic laws where followed, but yes the idea is genuine and doable but would have to have alot more specifics built in like paul was saying.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
There would have to be as many positions as there are differences amongst the candidates.

I just chose the simple three for abortion as an easy example. If there are 8 candidates there could be 8 different selections for each agenda item. And having a rating of 1 to 10 or something would also be a good idea.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »
We are allowed to talk about Politics?  I thought that was a no-no?  Anytime you mention Poilitics, even just as an innocent observation, it will come back and "slap you in da face".  It doesn't really matter who you vote for...it all ends up the same...

All I have to say is, "Quit trying to fix the World!  Please fix the U.S.A. first...we have more problems here, but many just choose to ignore them.  When we can house all the homeless and feed all whom are hungry, and then give a Job to those that want one -- Then, we can go fix the World...!"

ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »
If we feed the homeless to the hungry, that might be a two birds with one stone kind of thing!  JK, that was the first think that popped in my mind.  *bad TrailMyx*
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
I'm staying out of this one ... 
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:38 AM »
Pretty much any conversation about politics since in the last five years doesn't go well unless the people involved all start with the same opinions. I don't think it was always this bad. Relatively interesting article about the phenomenon on CNN yesterday that I can't seem to find right now. Essence of the article was that the more passionate and informed people were, the less it mattered to them when they were presented with facts that contradicted thier position. Some evidence showed that when confronted with such evidence they became more entrenched.

I view myself as a moderate and try to take a critical judgement to every side of an issue. I am sure I don't always succeed. While this remains for me the right way to participate in the process, in the current environment it generally means that any conversation about politics ends poorly.

This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »
Yeh, Cerveza likes to see my surface aneurysm throb after he posts the political stuff.  He's evil that way.... :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »
I even mentioned to keep the issues out of this post, just to discuss if the process would work.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
I even mentioned to keep the issues out of this post, just to discuss if the process would work.

My aneurysm thanks you.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
The main problem with this is when a candidate "says" he has a specific ideology or opinion, but ends up having a totally different opinion or hidden agenda.  This has never happened in recent history.... :p
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
The main problem with this is when a candidate "says" he has a specific ideology or opinion, but ends up having a totally different opinion or hidden agenda.  This has never happened in recent history.... :p

LOL  you think. 
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: