Author Topic: PC is fubar'd  (Read 16321 times)

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PC is fubar'd
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
Are the switches, by chance connected too a small circuit board? If so i'ld recomend metering the switches if you know how. The area of impact is usually where the problem is found, if not that, did it fall or was it just a hard hit that jostled the chasis?
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »
I'll do the PS later this evening after everyone's asleep. The switches are just push button -> header on the mother board, the only circuit board in the front is for the audio, and I discon'd it early on.

After everyone's out, I'll try the fans. Putting a known good fan on the CPU FAN header and see if it's an RPM issue. I kinda doubt that. Then I'll open up this PC and just plug in my MB to this PS and see if it's my PS that failed.

The impact might have jarred something loose in the PS. I remember it going into alarm a couple times in the middle of the night, but it reset just fine each time. It could be that the PS was faulting then and the soccer ball just finished the job.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
Fans were no change.

PS was no change.

Looks like I'll be needing a new MB for sure, and hopefully I can find a 939, else I'll have to get a full array of gear.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »
I just bought a spare 939 motherboard at www.geeks.com for $29.99

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NF4K8AC-RS-10&cat=MBB

I goto the Geeks here just because I can drive to Oceanside to pick stuff up.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
Well.... as a last ditch, and to check a suspicion I had...

I pulled the MB. I knew I'd have to anyways and with everything disconnected it was a snap.

I put it on a cardboard box and took out the power switch, connected it and the power supply and fired it up.

It ran through a ton of numbers NOT STOPPING AND BEEPING!

I had a last hunch that maybe the shock to the case moved the MB enough to short/ground something. I noticed that all the standoffs except one were loose.

I'll get some small rubber washers tomorrow and isolate the standoffs. I also have to make sure the back side isn't coming in contact with anything there. Then I'll fire it back up in the case and see what happens.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
Hmm, methinks desperation has set in.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
Typing this from my PC.

I put a double level of electrical tape on all the standoffs and put a strip of tape along the back edge (where the MB is close to the back) just in case there was something touching there. I also taped the bottom side of the metal "frame" where the USB, sound, LAN stuff goes.

Put the MB back in and it ran through a BUNCH of codes, not stopping and beeping at the beginning.

Reassembled everything, rerouted some stuff, taped some stuff together, and put it all back in and it's working great.

I figure the MB slipped enough to short against the back someplace. I don't think it's a standoff, but to be sure I taped them anyways. Why do they make metal standoffs anyways?

SO... dodged a bullet this time. I need to keep my eyes open on a new MB/CPU/FAN/RAM set though, never know when the next GOAL might go astray.  :P

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 07:32:54 AM »
Glad you got it fixed, at least you don't have to buy something new unexpectedly this time ;)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »
Wow, sometimes desperate measures are required!  You did miss the golden excuse for a new computer, though!  I woulda taken that one all the way to the bank.  heh.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
The metal standoffs are for grounding of cetain points on the MB.  It does not need all metal standoffs just certain ones, but the manufacturer instead of making a few metal and a few plastic makes all them the same :)

Tags: