Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 72414 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »

I suppose I need to stop being lazy and head over to their forums and start reading...

Along with MAME, I've collected all the console and legacy system ROM's that I could including C64, Amiga, all Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, Sega, etc, etc. Pretty fun to go back and play Miner 2049'r on Colecovision or throw in a virtual quarter and play a couple rounds of DigDug just like I was at the Dream Machine arcade.

I was a C64 kid rather than a VIC20; same toybox but only slightly different toys.

I have a bunch of Atari 2600 cartridges and rips of my GBA.  

But people have already done some MAME stuff on the RPi.  There's even 3D so I can image you could get even a PS2 ported.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/mame

And here's the link the the Raspian binaries.  They've already built binaries for MAME, MESS, etc.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=12984

And full-blown gaming....

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:01:27 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Oh I forgot that Quake3 was ported, so I'll have to give that a whirl this evening.   ;D
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
Is the quake multiplayer? Is there a n64 port? Can we play GoldenEye online? I'll proximity mine the pooh out of newbz

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Can we play GoldenEye online? I'll proximity mine the pooh out of newbz

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
this is what i learned on   Research Machines   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINK_480Z   32k or less model .. i think after everything was loaded only had either 8k or 16k of usable memory space.

I actually wrote a multi-lingual word processor in that memory space that worked in  English,  Hindi and Gujarati, and theoretically would have worked with Chinese  and Arabic as well as any other language...

But that was when I was young and my brain was sharp...  Looking back I should have sold that software LOL  the old dot matrix printing was mighty slow.

Did write some slick games on that thing as well...  wish i still had the code

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
Here's a great overclocking guide to the RPi:

http://www.memetic.org/raspberry-pi-overclocking/

And here's a good site for Quake3:

http://myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot.com/p/quake3.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:53:03 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
this is what i learned on   Research Machines   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINK_480Z   32k or less model .. i think after everything was loaded only had either 8k or 16k of usable memory space.

I actually wrote a multi-lingual word processor in that memory space that worked in  English,  Hindi and Gujarati, and theoretically would have worked with Chinese  and Arabic as well as any other language...

But that was when I was young and my brain was sharp...  Looking back I should have sold that software LOL  the old dot matrix printing was mighty slow.

Did write some slick games on that thing as well...  wish i still had the code

I remember the Z80 was pretty much the first assembly language I ever wrote.  I got heavy into that when I took up the Apple so I shifted to the 6502.  But I'll always have fond memories of the Z80 from my Sinclair days!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
this is what i learned on   Research Machines   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINK_480Z   32k or less model .. i think after everything was loaded only had either 8k or 16k of usable memory space.

I actually wrote a multi-lingual word processor in that memory space that worked in  English,  Hindi and Gujarati, and theoretically would have worked with Chinese  and Arabic as well as any other language...

But that was when I was young and my brain was sharp...  Looking back I should have sold that software LOL  the old dot matrix printing was mighty slow.

Did write some slick games on that thing as well...  wish i still had the code

I remember the Z80 was pretty much the first assembly language I ever wrote.  I got heavy into that when I took up the Apple so I shifted to the 6502.  But I'll always have fond memories of the Z80 from my Sinclair days!

That is pretty kewl TM. Because I programmed assembly on the 65C02 processor which was just an extended set of operators for the same 6502 processor back in the 80's .
I believe the 65C02's first appearance was in the Apple IIe.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:06:25 PM by Masscre »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
Actually, it first appeared in the Apple IIc.  ;)  See?  It was a low power kind of thing.

Back in that day, I worked as a technician at my local Apple store.  And no we didn't have genius bars back then. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »
Finally they have the order page back up at Newark for the Rev B RPis.  I picked up a couple more.  These have debugging capability, so I can really "play" with these.  Fun fun fun!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
Lookie here: http://pidora.ca/
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Couldn't let it go for 7 more days to have a year between posts TM?  :)

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
I <3 my pi... It's still online and running somewhere in my room as a wireless hotspot secured with WPA2+TKIP and acting as a TOR proxy for anytime I need to browse some where quietly :>

...Can't say I exactly remember where I put it though, but it's still online!

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Tags: