Author Topic: After advice about a new computer please  (Read 5976 times)

Offline KetchupTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Ketchup has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
After advice about a new computer please
« on: February 07, 2015, 03:42:01 AM »

Offline ZigZagZebra

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ZigZagZebra has no influence.
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: After advice about a new computer please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
Biggest thing you could benefit from at the price you are looking to pay is the high clockspeed of the current midrange CPU's. That's where I see the biggest improvement as compared to your current setup. Your chip now is a duo-core, but faster processing clockspeed -> multithreading doesn't lock threads as long.

The specs you have are really nice otherwise. So I'd honestly recommend buying a nice chip for that $500 you are looking to spend. Unless of course, you intend to spread those 8 clients out on to two cpus. Because that'd be faster yet, spreading both network traffic and CPU processes out.

Two questions for you: What model motherboard do you have? (you can find this through command prompt) and what is the current type of memory that you have in your system (DDR3, DDR2, etc..)?

I've included Tidus's link below from the shoutbox. Those are solid PC's, but I don't think you'll be able to beat the 8GB of RAM that you have, unless you currently use something less than DDR3 RAM. There are significant speed improvements between the memory types.

http://www.pricewatch.com/price/computer_systems_with_os/i7-2700k

Offline KetchupTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Ketchup has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: After advice about a new computer please
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
I'm not sure how to even check however I'm not sure I want to upgrade this machine but what are your thought/idea on this:
I'd upgrade the RAM and grpahics card to the max
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-430-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475

Tags: