Author Topic: Movement VS Rail  (Read 2537 times)

Offline CrisisTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Movement VS Rail
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
What is the difference between using movement in a script and a true rail system? I was looking at TM's and EN's Rail subs and they look great but fairly complicated. The movement almost seems too easy though and it is easy to make a mistake and very tedious doing it.

Movement Example in case it is needed for clarification:

Code: [Select]
step_15a
 move 5711 1960 0 5s
     if ! ( #charposx = 5711 && #charposy = 1960 )
     {
     goto step_15a
    }
 else
 {
 goto step_16
 }

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Movement VS Rail
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
True rail systems you just give it a series of coordinates and it will attempt to move you from one end to the other. With fail Safes etc etc etc.
Move command just moves you to 1 tile.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
I did make a mini-rail system based entirely off of keyboard directional move commands.   I use it for house movement and supper small rails and it works very effectively and very fast.

Thier are some issues to consider with this...  the main one being time, lag and keyboard buffer...

Sadly I just looked and even tho i had intended to publicly release it, it  looks like i never did......  I did use a 2007 version of it in one of my public released scripts the character-tool box.

In the character tool box script search for string "; Simple Movement Recording Subs".   I use these subs in this script to run a movement based rail from new haven to luna bank... the rail is represented by these 2 strings (inn to new haven moongate) "30d593ZNCk5h4s5f6e75l6n7z5a5d6z5o5c7w5t7a5"  (luna moongate to luna upstairs inn)  "36g1g7f5a7f1p7a593BQCf5a3"

Included in the subs is a rail recorder... Sub SimpleMovementRecording  - it returns the string containing the recorded rail.    This version is more advanced than the original one step movement version and incorporates the move command for longer rails and rail data compression, but it still uses 1 step event marco commands as well .

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:53:49 PM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
EN's secret favorite programming language is THIS  eheheh
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
EN's secret favorite programming language is THIS  eheheh

lol my secret is out.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
LOL, the Brain****!

Another neat option for Movement is to use the Event Macros for moving in certain directions. There is no huge delay like from Keystrokes so it can move you much faster. I found that for running at mount speed it was the best way to go, but you can't stealth with it without keeping the mouse center of the screen like pathfind, so I usually tend to stick to cheffes good ol Move command.

Move (x) (y) ( Dist Failsafe) (Time, 20= 1s) is best for moving across uneven Terrain.

Event Pathfind (X) (Y) (Z) is excellent as a fail safe as the game literally tries to find a path from where you are to the location. This isn't suggested to be spammed as it can make your character freak out if its accidentally combined with a Click move. (Its also Super Obvious with Event Pathfinding spamming your journal)

Let me see if I can find my sub for Movement that was supposed to mimic Cheffes.

Gosub MW_Move (X) (Y) (Dist)
Code: [Select]
Sub MW_Move
Namespace Push
Namespace Local MW_Move
Set !X %1
set !Y %2
set !Distance %3
set !Timeout #Systime + 500
While !Timeout > #Systime && ( ABS ( !X - #Charposx ) > !Distance || ABS ( !Y - #Charposy ) > !Distance )
{
if !Y < #Charposy && !X = #Charposx
set !Macro 1
if !Y > #Charposy && !X = #Charposx
set !Macro 5
if !Y < #Charposy && !X < #Charposx
set !Macro 0
if !Y = #Charposy && !X < #Charposx
set !Macro 7
if !Y > #Charposy && !X < #Charposx
set !Macro 6
if !Y > #CHarposy && !X > #Charposx
set !Macro 4
if !Y = #Charposy && !X > #Charposx
set !Macro 3
if !Y < #Charposy && !X > #Charposx
set !Macro 2
set !Charposx #Charposx
set !Charposy #Charposy
set !Direction #Chardir
set !Timer #Systime + 250
Event macro 5 !Macro
While #Charposx = !Charposx && #Charposy = !Charposy && !Direction = #Chardir && !Timer > #Systime
{
}
}
Namespace Pop
Return

Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Tags: