Author Topic: Hello Script UO  (Read 4743 times)

Offline lydaanTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • lydaan has no influence.
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Hello Script UO
« on: December 09, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Hello Script UO!

My online handle is Lydaan, and I am a gamer. All games... doesn't really matter.

About me:
I'm in my 30's and recently graduated from the University of Arizona with bachelor's degrees in Accounting and Management Information Systems (MIS), and looking for a career. I'm a longtime computer hardware nut, and have built many computers, but am somewhat lacking in the programming/coding department (just experience... have the know how).

I studied music for several years, and consider myself a budding producer (stuff on Soundcloud already, but private... maybe pm me). I play many instruments... All brass instruments (trombone, trumpet, TUBA - HELL YEAH, etc.), many woodwinds (Saxophone, flute, etc.) Drumset as well as stage percussion, and one of my favorites, the harmonica. I've even led a bar band in Seattle for a couple years.

About my gaming:
Minesweeper anyone? haha, not so much anymore, but still hold it dear...
Gamer status started with Doom... then online competition with Age of Empires and Half-Life. lanned Diablo 2 (as well as others) for countless hours. I studied Counter-Strike more than I studied class subjects during my first run at University. I like card games: Poker (my favorite), Star Wars CCG, LOTR CCG, Magic, Hearts, Gin Rummy, etc. ; and pretty much any Board Game.

I Never played UO back when EA was running it, but have recently gotten into it thanks to my friend Iseldorn. We play on Lost City Shard which is an AFK friendly Freeshard. I realize some may look down upon this, and will refrain from posting AFK scripts.

I must say, I'm glad I found this site, as I've been using EasyUO and their forum is somewhat dead (Lots of posts from 2 years ago...), and am really interested in scripting to improve my programming/coding skills.

I've already written a few helper scripts (Netflix afk) in EasyUO, to help with skill gains, and am very much looking to get better at this, and I hope I may be able to contribute at least a fraction of what I've seen available. If anything I can probably help with some of the little headaches that I've run into while writing my own scripts...

Lastly, just wanted to say thanks for the *required* introduction. These sort of things are always enlightening to the self and create a welcoming environment within the Forum.

Hope to chat with you all soon,

Lydaan

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Script UO
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Welcome to SUO! I am sure Gim will be along soon to remove your restriction.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
That's probably one of the first times I've ever seen a member thank for the introduction!  Excuse me while I get up off the floor.  hehe

Anyhow, you are among friends here when you talk about AFK so feel right at home.

Welcome!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »
WELCOME!

Offline MeWonUo

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • MeWonUo barely matters.MeWonUo barely matters.
  • Respect: +85
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:17:04 AM »
Love the intro!!  Welcome to the SUO club!!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
Where does your name Lydaan come from?
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
It's a jumble of the letters in my name, + one more...

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
Welcome to community SUO. 

Love when someone take the time to do a proper introduction and nail it the first time.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:59:25 AM »

WElcome to scriptuo     Aydan !!!
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

WElcome to scriptuo     Aydan !!!

DARN!!! you got me!  :o

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
DARN!!! you got me!  :o

Good, at least it wasn't Analy...
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Good, at least it wasn't Analy...

omg... I should have waited for that one   ; :P

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
It's not too late to change your name to that!  :o

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:43:56 AM »
Hello again! It's been a long while, so I thought I'd "re-introduce," myself.

I stopped playing Ultima about 3 years ago as life got busy for myself as well as for my IRL friend who got me into the Free Shard he was on. On top of that the server owner started making changes that I found less enjoyable, so I just left. I'm between jobs right now, and found myself with a lot of free time and fired up Ultima and EasyUO to work on some unfinished business that had been bothering me. I also wanted to say thanks to TrailMyx for maintaining the site and providing the forum.

From the help of many here I was able to go from a scripting novice, where my scripts would memory leak to no end causing constant client crashes and Windows BSODs every 3-5 days, to the point where I can run several scripts that do several things almost endlessly (weeks to months) before a client crash. And no more BSODs. Thanks for your patience and willingness to help, EN.

I wouldn't really consider myself a player as much as a scripter. I find much more satisfaction from the challenges of how to script something than from playing. I don't know how long I'll be around this time, but I've invested several thousands of hours into EasyUO over the years, and am working on some subs that I'd like to share once I get some testing and/or logic done.

I left before with a handful of scripts ~90% complete, (miner, logger, BOD sorter, BOD filler/turn-in, and a bunch of stand-alone helper scripts for certain tasks). All in working order and decent enough to share if I wanted to. But there was always one nagging issue that I didn't want to tackle at the time. I knew how to solve it, but I also knew it would require restructuring my scripts from the ground up and that was too daunting at the time. Now, after 3 years, I am no longer invested in my previous scripts and it feels "fresh."

I play on an AFK friendly FS (great place for script testing/writing) that's based in Sweden. I live near west coast US. My ping varies from 250-350ms regularly with spikes from 700-1500ms, AND I often lose connection. My scripts work just fine in a vacuum, but not in reality where the server I'm connecting to is thousands of miles away across an ocean.

I've solved ping for basically any situation (exevent drag/drop is the only action I can think of where I have to use a "static," wait time with sufficient tolerance, as I have not found some type of confirmation in EasyUO), but losing connection was the big issue. Reconnecting is easy, but to truly tackle the issue requires structuring scripts so that connection is the focal point for every client interaction. If stable, full automation is the goal.

The big sub I'm working on right now I call Sub ClientAction, where every client action is funneled into a singular varCheck that checks for connection and reconnects if lost and your script picks up at or near where it left off. The goal is to minimize client spam and bifurcate all client interactions from the EasyUO logic, so that EasyUO keeps itself busy, rather than spamming the client if connection is lost.

A simple example of a call:
instead of
Code: [Select]
event macro 8 7
while #contid <> #backpackid
   wait
you would
Code: [Select]
gosub clientAction open backpackAnd if connection is lost before the backpack opens, Sub ClientAction would automatically reconnect, attempt again to open the backpack, and then return once successful. The script/client having been none the wiser.

I'm reaching the point where I'm polishing the first-ish draft, but I won't post it until I do a write-up which will likely take me a full days work, as it includes a few sub-subs and at least one handler sub. And I still need to decide how to handle click actions for crafting/other multi-click-action gumps. That's not happening soon. Maybe in a week or two. I'll start a discussion thread about it once I start working on the write-up. Maybe within a few days time. I'm very interested in any/all feedback, critical or otherwise.

My main focus right now is this sub, and other "operational" functionality, as well as the ins/outs of beating EasyUO into submission. I think most can agree, it is somewhat limited in terms of expected functionality (like subs not being true localized functions), but it is also VERY robust and provides ample work-arounds for any perceived short-comings. And that also adds to the enjoyment (or maybe headache ;)) of scripting in EasyUO, and I am looking forward to hopefully discussing these topics and more with everyone here, again.

Well... that's about it for my "re-introduction," sorry for the long-winded post, resurrecting a "dead," thread and probably/partially off-topic directory. Thanks to those who bothered to read it.

And thanks again, TM!

Tags: