Author Topic: Is Doom worth spending the time now days?  (Read 14189 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Is Doom worth spending the time now days?
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
I have a Necro/Weaver/Mage in Doom and was thinking of linking him up to my Tamer to do some solo Doom runs.

Is it worth my time?

Every time I log in down there I'm alone with one or two Dark Fathers. It takes too long to take them down with just Earth Elementals, so I was thinking of sending my Tamer with 1400+ luck down there with a Greater Hiryu who is a BEAST (only 4 points off MAX resists, all 4 in energy).

I've had this Hiryu down there before, and with a dedicated healer, I know I can take out the DF.

So I'm thinking....

Tamer
- stands in bandage range and constantly cuts bones and bandages pet, with emphasis on cutting bones.
Support
- Keeps Gift of Renewal on the Pet
- Greater heal pet
- Lesser heal tamer (to cover wither damage)
- Cast Earth Elemental / All kill on DF

Then when the DF gets low enough, the Support char WoD's him.

This might take a while, but should be fairly easy. I'm wondering if Earthy's are really even necessary. More things hitting the DF will cause more bones tossed, right? Maybe not worth the damage increase.

I'm thinking maybe 30 minutes per DF? Is it even worth the effort these days?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is Doom worth spending the time now days?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
I would say yes on certain items.  The ones that have a faction equivalent i cant even give away hardly but the ones that do not have a faction equivalent are still selling and with the coming of SA i am seeing more sales than ever before as of late.  I am speaking of Doom artifact drops that is.  I like your way of thining also cerveza.  I have been doing it all alone with one guy down there but with 2 a backup guy this should make it well worth the work.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
I think it's definitely worth it even with the faction items as many PVM'rs will likely still be going after the Doom equivelent rather than risking the faction gank everywhere they go, especially on busy shards - especially when considering you have to keep up your faction rank in order to wear them.

I still see Orni's selling for 10-15+ million, AoF for 7-12, HoM for 5-10, etc etc. Plenty of reason to Doom IMO.

Plus you really can get some damn nice loot down there, especially with a luck suit.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
Well, you two have me convinced it's worth my while to check it out.

I think the plan is completely doable.

Now, if I ONLY hit with the tamers pet, the tamer gets the loot based on his luck, correct? So no sharing at all?

It might be worth it to have my support char NOT use WOD on the DF when it gets low... so the tamer has 100% of the damage on him.

I think I'll try that first... just have the support char spam GH's on the pet, LH's on the tamer and GOR's on the pet. Then the tamer will just cut bones and bandage.

I would have both cutting bones, but I'm not sure if it would mess up the script. I could put in a simple little timer in the bone cutter so it wouldn't hang... I'll play with it.

I'm thinking two scripts... maybe a total of 20 lines of code  :D , not bad for a decent arty chance.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
I don't believe the damage of the partied character will have any impact on the loot table based on the tamer's luck since the tamer will be doing the most damage it is his luck that will impact the loot table for everyone party'd. I wouldn't worry too much about not doing damage with the second character.

You may be best off having him focus on bones and healing/curing alone anyhow just to keep things nice and smooth. I would consider putting 120 music/disco/provoke on the support char personally, you can provoke 2 DF's onto each other for starters. Even if only one DF the Disco alone will make it worth the effort. Have him Disco then focus on GoR, Bones, etc.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
Yea i am with 12x^ on the disco this will make a big difference.  Now with only 2 people in doom i doubt that you will to many extra df's to be able to provoke them on to each other but never know.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
My tamer has 120 music/disco, so I'll have the DF disco'd. I have 120 Provo stoned, but if I'm cutting bones I really shouldn't need it.

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
Doom is an amazing place to make gold.  Not in the artifacts themselves, but from the other randomly generated items from the bosses.  Think about it, Doom gives players the ability to farm high end bosses back to back with no delay.  They run the same loot tables as peerless, without as many items.

Just remember when aiming for max luck to consider the speed faction.  I still need to get my characters the right weapons & macing trained, but when I do I estimate to be able to drop a dark father in about 2-3 minutes.  Killing faster yields "more items" technically.  With the way UO's luck actually works, it could be better to drop luck for faster killing speed.  This has been argues in numerous games though, like Diablo2 for example w/ Magic Find.

But I don't look at doom for the artifacts, look at it for the items.  Pull the rare set pieces (Assasin legs/gloves = ~15mil!).  Get lucky on a jewel that could be worth 500k up to over 100mil.  (I pulled a taming/magery/necro ring w/ 20lrc, skill points were low 40's total... Sold for a *bleep* pile).

That's the way I look at doom personally.  Currently I'm hitting up mels.  I can kill her in about 7 minutes solo! (Two accounts).  When I get bored of her I'll switch to doom.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
OMG what kind of temp are you using down in doom solo?  Whammy?

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »
I used to use a wammy & a discorder bot.  Now I'm going to switch to two wammies.  Only problem is I need another exiler & blackthorns kryss.

I use weapons as follows:

1st room:  Mana/Stamina leech mace
2nd room:  Mana/stamina leech mace
3rd room:  blackthorns demon (consecrate)
4th room: winds edge
5th room: blackthorns demon (chain AI's)
darkfathers:  exiler (hit dispel is nice for the reverants), frenzy whirlwind rocks (damn the 10 second delay)

The only reason I use blackthorns demon kryss is because of durability issues.  If I used just exiler I had to leave too much to repair it, so I got the kryss to spread out damage on my weapons.  Of course another exiler would be nice too, but I always was able to find the stupid kryss first.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
I saw a dude solo the DF with a greater dragon. Took a while, but all he did was heal. My tamer has Disco, so it should go faster. I have a decent Greater... so now I have to decide on Greater Dragon or Hiryu?

If you log out in Doom with a greater dragon, will it log back in with you down there?

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »
damn was he using the trick where you trap the DF in the corner so the spawn doesn't spawn more than 3-4 undead?
I have alot of FC and I can't keep my Dragon alive solo the whole time. I can keep him healed for a good portion until something targets me and I have to protect myself.  and yes. if you log out your pet will log back in with you.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:20:18 AM »
Yep, he had his dragon in a spot thats 2 deep on the side. The bones that spawned just stood there not attacking anything. As long as you don't use area effect stuff, they just stand and watch.

How do you tank guys deal with the DF's Blood Oath?

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 05:34:14 AM »
Remove Curse and not doing so much damage per swing so that you one-hit kill yourself?

XII

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »
I think that right there is the reason for using a Pet.

We're limited on HP's, and we can easily do enough damage to kill ourselves. If we limit our damage output, then we're taking longer to kill.

Pets have a huge HP reserve. They can do more damage and take the Oath without one hit killing themselves.

I know I've done this with a Sampire and a Whammy and had issues with both. I could get through it, but most times I'd die at least a couple of time, and every time there were many close calls. All due to Blood Oath only. I could deal with the mobs and actually liked having them around sometimes. The leech on a whirlwind is nice.

I know it can be done solo, cause I watched the dude last night. I'll get my greater dragon down there and rock it out.

I can even get away with my tamer only bone cutting. I won't need to bandage the dragon at all. The support char can heal the dragon through.

I donno if the guy had his dragon all the way against the wall... if he did, I'll have to figure out how he got it back there. The spot is a corner with 2 spaces blocked... looks like this

Code: [Select]
W W W W W
W 1 X O O
W 2 X O O
W O O O O
W O O O O
W O O O O

W = Wall
O = Open
X = Blocked
1 = Where I'd like my pet to be
2 = Where I think you can get your pet

I don't think you can get a pet into that back space there...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:52:36 AM by Cerveza »

Tags: