Author Topic: Lost everything  (Read 4840 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Lost everything
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
 :'(

My hard drive was partially wiped (I'm on my server atm, has nothing!), whilst attempting numerous times to set up win7 in VMWare Workstation.  EVERYTHING,...lost. games, pron, thousand dollar programs, backups, scripts (yes my scripts!), pictures, documents, resume's...EVERYTHING!!...I'm attempting to recover what I can with GDB NTFS ...may be a few hours, before the process is over, and even then, who knows what will be found.

fyi: GDB NTFS (Get Data Back), great little prog I've used before and had success with.

To everyone here, I'm sorry, but W.I.T. will have to remain as is.

:'(

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Lost everything
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
HIGHLY recommend the tools from www.r-studio.com.  Saved my butt many times.

Sorry for your loss - data loss bites.  I have redundant-redundant backups of things like scripts, and other personal un-replaceable data.  But it normally takes a few "oh-crap!" moments to get to the paranoid level I'm presently at.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »
SS,

I can't say I know exactly what you are going thru right now, but I was in a similar situation earlier this year.  I tried everything to get my data back and after days of no sleep, I finally recovered most of it.  Hope it works out for the best for you. 

Crossing my fingers for you!

ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks guys,..my heart is thumping just hoping I'll get some of my stuff back...I'm checking out R-Studio now TM, thanks for the link. If GDB finishes soon, I'll demo the r-studio and see if it comes out with anything additional.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
R-studio was probably the best money I ever spent; I managed to get data off a drive that was grinding metal sounds.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed SS. I know what its like...whats the old saying, its not IF your HD crash's, its WHEN. I lost everything on a drive a couple years ago, all my and ST's honeymoon pics, tons of other pics and data, it royally SUCKS!...I hope you get more back then your even expecting!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
wow that sucks :(

hope you can recover what you need.  my other harddrive went bad on my the other week, but i think i backed up most of it.  unfortunatly i lost all my pictures ive ever taken on it which sucks!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
Thanks again pals, by biggest worry is not the 10's of thousands of dollars worth of programs...they're worthless...it's the family pictures, wife and 2 kids and stuff...the thought of them gone forever literally makes my stomach twist and shrink.

It would seem I have alot of work to do regardless, for one, I might as well put win7 on now instead of the VM,..also, lots of disks to sort through to get some of my small programs back, and device drivers.  Still, this sucks.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Good News!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
Of my 80gig backup drive, I've been able to recover almost 95% of my information!  I haven't started recovery on my main desktop drive yet, but that should a much smaller need amount of information.  Specifically the work I've done for my scripts, web site, programs and documents!

All my pictures are back thanks to R-Studio and TrailMyx!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
Awesome!  Glad to hear that program helped you out like it did for me several times now. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
Wow - I am amazed and happy that you were able to get all that back!  I was pulling for you, but to be honest I'm a glass-half-empty guy...glad I was wrong!

:)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
Glad you are managing to get some stuff back SS...

I feel your pain... ive suffered multiple data losses since 95 ...

as tt said its not if its when.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
Wow - I am amazed and happy that you were able to get all that back!  I was pulling for you, but to be honest I'm a glass-half-empty guy...glad I was wrong!

:)

Ditto, I'm going to have to wait 'til tomorrow to try to recover what I can from the 250gig HD...estimated time was 4.5 hours and it's already 1 am.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »
Good luck bro i just got home and seen your plight.  I will be you with you in thoughts, because I have been there way to many times my self i lost the wedding pictures !! DOH !!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
Well, I've gotten my machine back up and running at 100%, but I did lose a great deal of scripts, mostly stuff that helped in creating other scripts and testing them.  Alot of music was lost too, but nothing I can't get again from the web  8) ;).  All in all, I'm going to stay away from Windows7 until it provides a compatibility window PRIOR to finishing the install and rewriting the bootmgr files.

Shortly I'll be jumping back on the WIT horse and hopefully get the bulk of my to-do list done before the new year.

Tags: