Author Topic: Are EA really this dense?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline BadManiacTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • BadManiac has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Are EA really this dense?
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
So, old news, they are (allegedly) adding third party app detection to UO, so they can ban people using EasyUO.
Fine, then they'll have to take a long hard look at WHY people script, and improve the gameplay to a point where people don't feel the same need to script, right?
WRONG. The latest client publish removed the water pitcher overfilling trick. Effectively making plant tending even MORE of a click fest.

Am I the only one who feel as if the devs might have slightly less than no clue about their own game? It's a small thing, I know, but it's an indication of a bigger problem.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Are EA really this dense?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
Really it's just more indication that EA is just so out of touch with their game and the greater community.  They are listening to the vocal minority (we can't be vocal) and trying to follow what their competitors try and do.  No thought seems to be given to "why" people need tools like EasyUO and why so many people actually use them.

But you are not the only one who feels the devs are out of touch.  Every time there is a turn over of people at EA, we get this effort.  Really, if they truly want to proceed with this, I say go right ahead because in the end it will only effect their bottom line.  Personally, I'm not too affected by it since I do more freesharding than I do EA shards.  I'm not sure that EA can survive with the 100-200 people that actually play the game by hand religiously.  I graduated from that madness long ago.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
The main thing EA needs to realize is this is an older game. UO does not get hardly any advertising thus no new players. That means majority of the players are probably 25+. Most people who play have lives and can't sit around doing everything by hand. People play this game in their spare time for fun. What fun would it be clicking a hot key over and over for hours everyday just so you can compete? So what will people do when they can't compete? They will leave the game for good or for free servers like gamers so they can get stuff done and still be able to play and enjoy the game.

Offline SirKnight

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • SirKnight has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:27:32 AM »
I think uo will not last very long in my opinion. Unless they do some Major revamping of the game, I actually would like to see a 3d game like WoW (not saying how the actual game is played) but to see a UO world look like that would be awesome. But UO i know is old in it times but its still enjoyable but just outdated.

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
I think uo will not last very long in my opinion. Unless they do some Major revamping of the game, I actually would like to see a 3d game like WoW (not saying how the actual game is played) but to see a UO world look like that would be awesome. But UO i know is old in it times but its still enjoyable but just outdated.

Im certain that WoW or any of the other 15 flavor of the month games would love to have someone like you who enjoys their 3d worlds... maybe you should try one of them and let the Devs leave UO like it was made, and like it was meant to be.  Of course that is just my personal opinion... the opinion of a person who has been playing since the initial release, but none the less, just an opinion.

I dont play UO for pretty graphics or amazing resolution, I play UO for the complexity of the game. I am totally fine with it looking close to the same as it did in '97. In fact, I am resistant to any change in the way UO looks or feels.  IMHO the so called 3d enhanced clients that they have come up with look like total crap. They look nothing like UO. Again, a personal preference and opinion.  The point being that if they change the wa UO looks I will likely quit playing.  Likewise, if you do not like the way UO looks, you have exactly the same option.

Again, not downing you for your opinion, after all you are certainly entitled to it.  Just letting you know that there are OTHER opinions out there :)

JaF
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
Let's see, 3D attempts at UO so far:

Ultima Online 2 - canceled
Ultima X: Odyssey - canceled
Ultima Online 3d - phased out
Ultima Online KR - phased out
Ultima Online SA - heh, well, who knows?

So, if we are going to wait around for EA/OSI to do some magic 3D thing, I suppose we're going to be waiting a VERY long time.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:06:47 PM »
You know honestly I enjoy the KR and SA graphics. It's not really that I don't enjoy the old look of UO but EA really needs to pick up the ball on 2d.

They can keep the same graphics but just make them in a higher resolution. That way I don't have to run my 24" monitor in such low resolution just to make the game large enough to play.

I believe most people would be happy with a higher resolution 2d client.

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
I guess we will have to wait and see how this all goes but I know all but one of my buddies script....game's screwed if everyone gets banned.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Offline BadManiacTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • BadManiac has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:21 PM »
Ok can we stop this nonsense, KR and SA are both 2D. They use a tile/3D hybrid terrain, but all objects and mobiles are 2D sprites, just as in the old UO client.

KR and SA ARE high res 2D clients. And they failed. We don't want that, we want plain old UO.

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »
Not to mention I read a lot ages ago when they actually considered switching to a high res 2d client, and they had said that the technology behind it would require a huge rewrite.  Doesn't seem to make sense to my mind, but that's what they said.  I think cause the code is so old and undocumented they don't want to RISK rewriting a major portion. :)

Tags: