Author Topic: The future is Linux!  (Read 51942 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
The future is Linux!
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »
+1
To say I'm a Linux fan is an understatement.  I have been using Linux since the early days of Slackware and you got the distributions on 5.25" floppy disks.  It was a pain download them at 1200 baud! 

This is really an exciting time because the combination of virtualization and Linux allows you to pretty much depart from the dependence of MS operating systems. 

I've been a RedHat nut for a long time.  I own all their versions up through Linux 7, when I joined the Fedora project.  From there I have been testing the latest and greatest version that they'll roll into their enterprise products.  At the moment I'm using Fedora 9 (attached desktop).

You'll see that I'm running UO (under Wine), WoW (under Wine), ScriptUO development (under virtualized Win2003 with VMWare).  All run smoothly (50-110 FPS in WoW).  WoW is actually smoother run with Wine than it is running in Win2003!

Boy, I have sampled so many distributions too.  At one point I've had Gentoo, Unbuntu, Slackware, SuSe, Mandriva/Mandrake running here and there. 

For those that are shy about system administration of Linux, you might want to give www.webmin.com a try.  It's a great graphical web-based utility that allows you to control all aspects of your Linux box.

Anyhow, I just wanted to create this forum for any other Linux heads out there.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
linux2.jpg
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:43:35 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Nicar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nicar has no influence.
  • Respect: +20
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The future is Linux!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
+1
I've always wanted to set up a linux box, but never got to it with installing all the drivers and such for keyboard, mouse and all... now, I just simply do not have time. The nerd in me though would like to and get that stuff going since it can do UO, through win or whatever that is  :P  Everything else I would use on a computer has linux apps, so, it would be easy for me, just getting the time to do it.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »
+1
Wine:

http://www.winehq.org/

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »
+1
Oh boy, now you've asked for it TM! You are officially going to be one of my two guys to talk to about getting Linux installed now which means you're going to find out first hand how bad a bad procrastinator can really be!

But seriously, what Linux flavor would you recommend for someone without a budget for an OS but still needing something feature rich enough to make me a convert? I have installed Redhat a few times over the years but have never spent a lot of time getting to know the OS; usually it's "wham bam thank you ma'am" and I'm off.

I'm definitely impressed by the idea of moving away from my MS reliance even though Microsoft is my bread-and-butter right now (been an MCSE since the 3.51 days, SQL DBA, etc). I highly doubt I'll be formatting my PC at home any time soon, at least until I build a new one, but I'd love to start messing with it in VMWare or something.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »
+1
People will try and tell you that Linux distributions are all the same.  That's not true really.  Generally, you tend to settle on one distribution because there are enough differences to make it confusing to be completely knowledgeable about them all.

So really the distributions are categorized according to your knowledge/time level.  For me, I ended up choosing Fedora (Redhat) just because of all the time I spent tinkering with it before they became a company.  I like the idea that the Fedora product is just the early look at what their Enterprise product will be (CentOS) and it's nice to know there's an actual company backing the product.

However, Fedora avoids all commercial copyrighted information, so there are packages missing from a Fedora distribution that make the setup difficult if you are looking for multimedia (i.e. No audio/video codecs, etc.).  Ubuntu does better with this.

Redhat/Fedora uses YUM to manage packages and has a nice graphical front end (Yumex) so it's easy to browse through distribution repositories from Redhat or others.  Another nice thing about Fedora is there are some master repositories out there that manage lots of very useful packages like kernel modifications for NVidia/ATI video.  Livna is the one in particular that's installed on my system as soon as I get a new OS installed.  Then I'm a fan of Webmin for general setup of user/bootinfo/database setup/etc.

I kinda liked OpenSUSE from Novell because it has a lot for multimedia and many applications in its main distribution, but it was different enough from what I was used to.

So really you'll have to do a bit more homework to find what you might be interested in.  However, using VMWare/VirtualBox you can install and test drive any of them.  I even had a Solaris 10 VM running to play with.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:24:29 AM »
+1
Good info, thanks.

I asked a guy here at work the same question. He thought Fedora might be a good way to go but also recommended Ubuntu. Guess I'll have to play with both :)

XII

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
+1
Ubuntu is for kidz...  :p
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »
+1
Ubuntu is for kidz...  :p

Ouch!! LOL

...says the video-gaming scripter  ::)

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
+1
Ubuntu is pretty basic when it comes to Linux I myself and been starting to dable in Gentoo after realizing that Ubuntu just wasn't all that interesting lol.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »
+1
Ubuntu is pretty basic when it comes to Linux I myself and been starting to dable in Gentoo after realizing that Ubuntu just wasn't all that interesting lol.

Ubuntu was (and is) the richest initial distro.  They caused companies like Redhat to really think about what they put into their products.  You can really see the influence that Ubuntu had on the last couple releases of Fedora.  Both F8 and F9 had MANY more features than I had previously seen, and I can attribute that to Ubuntus dominance on the initial linux users market.  If I hadn't been running Linux for 16 years, I would have probably started with it also.

Gentoo is something that will make the sexiest personalized installations (no bloated kernel junk), but it's a bit of a setup Queen.  But my IT friend LOVES it, but he's a true Linux nerd.  I didn't have the patience to figure it out now that I'm sold on graphical installers.  Installing Gentoo reminded me of installing Slackware back in 92...  heh.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:45:21 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
+1
Totally agreed Ubuntu is so very much a feature rich and userfriendly Linux setup :)

Gentoo has a decent GUI that can be setup as well so it isn't as a big of a PITA but installing it is horrible lol.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:55 AM »
+1
Just for testing purposes I went ahead and started loading Fedora 9 as a MS Virtual PC 2007 guest with only one problem which I was able to quickly remedy by adding a switch to the end of the boot command "noreplace-paravirt" (thanks to "The Sean Blog" for the fix - http://blogs.technet.com/seanearp/archive/2008/05/19/installing-fedora-9-sulphur-in-virtual-pc-2007.aspx).

Very cool!

XII

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »
+1
I had coffee cake for breakfast.

I was going to just have one slice, but after it was gone I really wanted more. I checked how much coffee I still had in my cup and decided it was enough for a second slice.

Thats about how much of this discussion I understand.

I'd really like to try out some stuff, maybe on my son's pc (mines just running so darn good right now). I load him up with TinyXP Rev09 and start putting on his games. Basically thats all his pc is, games.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
+1
Cerv we should build you a beast of a computer so you can run lots of VMs just for the hell of it lol.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
+1
I would like some coffee cake...

Tags: