Author Topic: PC is fubar'd  (Read 16531 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
PC is fubar'd
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »
Came home to find out my son kicked a soccer ball into the front of my PC. Now it won't start.

It'll turn on for a few seconds, then 1-Long Beep 4-Short Beeps and power down.

I've disconnected the hard drive, DVD, taken out the sound card and video card. Same thing.

I thought it might be the reset button on the front, disconnected it and same thing.

I'm d-loading the MB manual to see what the MB codes mean. Hopefully something I can fix.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: PC is fubar'd
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
here's a guide that's helped me before:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
check to make sure your CPU fan is still working, if yes, then check the power supply to make sure thats still working if yes,  then Kick your Kid and see if he is still working.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
Discon'd everything. Fans all work, at least for about 5 seconds.

I took all RAM out and same thing. Checked both the Power and Reset switches and both seem to work fine. I even discon'd the front stuff (USB, IEEE, MIC) and same thing.

Waiting to post on ABITs forum.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
ya I was just about to say one long and 3 shorts is a memory problem.
did you put them back in order?  I dunno how old or new your computer is.. make sure you put the memory in the first slot. if you have more than two then, add the next one to the next slot.  sorry I duno how much you know about computers my knowledge is very basic.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Well, remember, this has been working great for a long while.

I'll swap the 1G chips around and see if it's a change.

I'll also try my son's PS connected to my MB to rule out the PS. If it's MB problem then I'll have to replace it.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:50:53 AM »
Read two things....

First was that 1 long 4 short means a fan RPM, so I'll discon the fans and ensure they are all connected up right. Second was Power Supply, so I'll try this PC's PS and see if it works.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
Well your definitally on the right track i tseems, hopefully you can get it resolved otherwise you will just have to let me spec out a new computer for you ;)

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
Well if it isn't the PS or the FANS then I'll probably be looking for another MB.

The CPU I have is an AMD 3700+ (San Diego)
Motherboard is an ABIT AN8 32X
RAM is Corsair PC3200 DDR (2?) Premium (1G x 2)
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum

I'd really like to go cheap, so a MB that could support the CPU (939) and ram would be what I'd be looking for.

I'm hopeful that it'll turn out to be a power supply or fan, even though I have a really good PS now. I have NO PROBLEM with getting another one.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:42:33 AM by Cerveza »

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
Yikes, not much made in the 939 socket anymore as that is 3 generations old for AMD.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:02:33 AM »
Couldnt find anything on newegg so I checked out pricewatch and they have a couple of boards.  Not a whole lot to choose from especially if you have a video card in it as your Abit is a pci express board and alot of the socket 939s on the following link are AGP, some don't even support operation in dual channel :(

Let me know what you find out and I will look at them all in more depth to make sure you get what you need ;)

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Have you checked to see if it jamed the switch in the on position?  Most are momentary switches and if stuck could cause this problem.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »
Have you checked to see if it jamed the switch in the on position?  Most are momentary switches and if stuck could cause this problem.

One of the first things I thought it might be. I actually discon'd each switch and used them one at a time on the Power header. Both worked the same, powered the pc on for 5 seconds, 1 long 4 short beeps and power off.

Right now is just a tight time of the year, son's b-day is actually today (the ONLY thing that kept him out of trouble for all this), and of course X-Mas coming up. Just don't have the liquid assets to spend on a new MB+CPU+FAN+RAM.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
Did you swap that power supply yet?
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: