Author Topic: The END of EUO.  (Read 32005 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
The END of EUO.
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Cheffe
I have decided to stop updating EasyUO 1.5 and instead force a switch to OpenEUO.

If you've been following the developments in the OpenEUO forum, you know that a lot of effort has flown into the new project. The problem right now is that OpenEUO gets too little attention because it is in direct competition with its older brother (EUO1.5).

Most people seem satisfied with keeping the status quo if it means zero work for them which basically means I have to provide a finished and polished product and do almost all the work myself.

Although some scripters have started to adopt OpenEUO for their own purposes, there are still too few by far. It seems there needs to be more incentive to adapt and innovate.

So I have decided to provide that incentive through the most direct means possible... which is halting all scripting on EA shards unless the script is written in Lua or runs via the not-yet-finished emulator for old scripts.

I know this is going to create a lot of confusion and chaos and probably leave quite a few people dead in the water. I think this is the price we have to pay for innovation. Kill the old project to make room for the new one and pool our combined efforts into making things better for everyone.

What does this mean for you?

1. If you're a scripter then you'll either have to rewrite your scripts or wait for the emulator to get finished. Best would be if you helped on the emulator project itself, speeding up its completion.

2. If you're a normal user then you'll have to find a working Lua script (one of the very few), wait for the emulator to get completed or learn scripting and write them yourself.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The END of EUO.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
I think i just *Explicitive* a brick

Guess its time to write the army in LUA then!
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
LOL
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
well, *bleep*.  I may of just played the last of my uo.  All my work is worthless and I cannot or do not have time to redo it.  It has been fun all if this is really it.

Offline Dixie Wrecked

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Dixie Wrecked has no influence.
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
Holy crap Batman!  I just got home from work and went to check the site to see if it was updated already only to read that message.  Wow, I guess I really better start reading up on OEUO, since it made almost no sense to me when I first looked at it...and when I took a second look at it...and a third look at it...and a fourth look at it...
"hmm, theres no examples and directions sticky in new member intros.  you have to admit script library would have been a good place to put it"
- karrde

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
What a bummer! Really!

I don't understand fully understand the need for OpenEUO as I'm not a coder. From my perspective if it's not broke why fix it?

I'll wait until the dust settles before I cancel any accounts. I'll probably end up closing down 3 out of my 4 accounts if I'm not able to script. I just can't justify keeping them active.

It's really  sad to see people's scripts and hardwork goto the wayside.

Maybe Cheffe should wait to pull the plug on EUO until the emulator is fully working?

Maybe that's unreasonable. I don't know...

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
What a bummer! Really!

I don't understand fully understand the need for OpenEUO as I'm not a coder. From my perspective if it's not broke why fix it?

I'll wait until the dust settles before I cancel any accounts. I'll probably end up closing down 3 out of my 4 accounts if I'm not able to script. I just can't justify keeping them active.

It's really  sad to see people's scripts and hardwork goto the wayside.

Maybe Cheffe should wait to pull the plug on EUO until the emulator is fully working?

Maybe that's unreasonable. I don't know...

That was the original plan but he backed out and went back on his words.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
Temper tantrum much over there or what?  Sheesh.

I shed a tear.  My wife doesn't know yet, because I can't stand to see her celebrate.  It's just too soon...

:'(

Offline sozy336s

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • sozy336s has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Today is a weird day for me. I have left EasyUO FOREVER! I will admit im retarded when it comes to scripting. Easyuo thinks that everyone should automatically know how to write scripts. Guess what! I DONT! I am always trying to learn. I see this day as a great turning point for ScriptUO.com. I am going to put every last bit of effort to learn the ScriptUO way! Please be patient with members such as myself. But i look forward to working with my new home for scripting. I downloaded the program and i am trying to figure it out. I will, just going to take time. I am not only speaking for myself, but the other couple thousand members that are out there looking for an alternative to EasyUO. I dont know if i can help anyone in anyway. But if there is PLEASE PM ME! :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:26:53 PM »
Don't forget that ScriptUO is really only and editor for a now defunct language.  There's nothing really to learn.  If you want to script, give OEUO a try.  Hopefully Cheffe will finish it one day.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
Lol, after my big speech I Download the Newest OEUO and do this.

print(UO.CharID)

and it tells me my CharID is 0

I go WTF

i do

cnt = UO.ScanItems(true)
print(cnt)

it tells me 1 item is on the screen.......

I now am bald from ripping out what little of my hair remained HAHAHAHAHAHA
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Dixie Wrecked

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Dixie Wrecked has no influence.
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:54:25 PM »
Lol, after my big speech I Download the Newest OEUO and do this.

print(UO.CharID)

and it tells me my CharID is 0

I loaded up the newest version of OEUO as well, hoping to get some of the basics so I could take a stab at writing a new plant tender or something BOD related (backpack to book to start) and was getting the same info when I tried getting item ids.

I do find it rather ironic that Cheffe seems to have gotten either very defensive or upset in his posts on his own site lately, especially since I thought the Swiss were supposed to be neutral!!!  :P
"hmm, theres no examples and directions sticky in new member intros.  you have to admit script library would have been a good place to put it"
- karrde

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
My finditem routines automatically shift between the old finditem format (base 26) and the numerical ones found in OEUO.  I made it pretty simple to convert the every-day find item stuff.

Someone take Twinkle McNugget's POM-POMs away, or at least set them on fire.  Sheesh.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paradise

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Paradise has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:02:15 AM »
*wonders how long it would take to learn LUA*  ???

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn from?

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 04:34:22 AM »
I and I will bet you my left nut sack that it will run scripts when he's done. 

Um, Something you want to tell us Twinkle McNugget...how many nut sacks do you have???  I am but a poor mortal with 2 nuts, and 1 sack!  *sniff*
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Tags: