Author Topic: How can a non-scripter best contribute to this community?  (Read 5981 times)

Offline lordraithTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • lordraith has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
How can a non-scripter best contribute to this community?
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
 It's been a few weeks now, since I registered and was accepted as a newbie member. I've had a chance to try out a few of the scripts available to members at my level, which is a generous list. I gave feedback on the scripts i tried - but that hardly feels like contributing.

I have some script ideas, if those wouldnt be annoying.
 I'm laid off right now, so i have free time for testing scripts, if thats helpfull.
 I have an idea for a calculator type gadget for imbuing suits, that some programer may want to throw together, if such a thing is easy enough.

So, any comments or suggestions are welcome. I'd just like to be usefull or helpfull in some way, since i cant add to our library. 8)
Hey, if the Mayan's were right... at least we dont need to xmas shop this year... being lazy pays off, in the end. :D

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: How can a non-scripter best contribute to this community?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about you being laid off. Your not alone...I've struggled for a number of years since what has been the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression 2008. Keep in mind The Great Depression lasted 10-15 years. The US economy certainly isn't booming right now.

Tough times build character. Hang in there, stay positive and keep plugging away. Things go in cycles...

I'd venture to say almost all positive feedback is contributing to the site except for the occasional one word posts we see from time to time.

I've tried to contribute by sharing my knowledge of UO and the "tricks of the trade" if you will; as well as provide feedback for people looking for advice on a particular subject that interests me.   

There are some very "interrigent" (Team America Kim Jung Il accent) people on this site and I've learned quite a few things about the tech world from reading and asking questions. Asking questions is contributing as well as far as I'm concerned.

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
1. Download our scripts.
2. Use them extensively.
3. Push the limits of what you can do with our scripts.
4. Report any bugs you find to us in the respective threads, and if you're feeling confident, attempt to disassemble the code and find the bugs.
 4A. When debugging scripts, run from the top of the code, and read your way down line by line. When the script makes a comparison and jumps to a sub, jump with it. Find out how it makes that comparison.
 4B. Learn what each and everything on each line you read does. If you don't understand something, ask us, but also reference this site: http://wiki.easyuo.com/index.php?title=Documentation (VERY USEFUL)
5. Talk to us, ask us questions, give us attention! (Humans are sociable creatures)

Each and every member of this forum contributes to this community in their own way by doing some form of the above, from the people who simply use the scripts, to the people who write scripts, and best of all the people who put forth good efforts to learning how to write scripts, no matter how small the code is, follow those steps and before you know it you will be writing your own code and further contributing to the community. :>

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
1. Download our scripts.
2. Use them extensively.
4. Report any bugs you find to us in the respective threads, and if you're feeling confident, attempt to disassemble the code and find the bugs.
 4A. When debugging scripts, run from the top of the code, and read your way down line by line. When the script makes a comparison and jumps to a sub, jump with it. Find out how it makes that comparison.
 4B. Learn what each and everything on each line you read does. If you don't understand something, ask us, but also reference this site: http://wiki.easyuo.com/index.php?title=Documentation (VERY USEFUL)
5. Talk to us, ask us questions, give us attention! (Humans are sociable creatures)

Each and every member of this forum contributes to this community in their own way by doing some form of the above, from the people who simply use the scripts, to the people who write scripts, and best of all the people who put forth good efforts to learning how to write scripts, no matter how small the code is, follow those steps and before you know it you will be writing your own code and further contributing to the community. :>
Good Words!
Share with us, what you can, Scripts\Knowlegde.
Work with us, what you can, Debug\Test\Suggest.
Show us, that u are a part of Community. No matter how as long as in maybe 1 year someone would remind you again.
Scripting is one part of this Site, Communication and Sharing Knowlgde the other Site.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
1. Download our scripts.
2. Use them extensively.

Good Words!
Share with us, what you can, Scripts\Knowlegde.
Work with us, what you can, Debug\Test\Suggest.
Show us, that u are a part of Community. No matter how as long as in maybe 1 year someone would remind you again.
Scripting is one part of this Site, Communication and Sharing Knowlgde the other Site.

Don't forget avatars. We usually have great avatars!

But really, just take part in discussion. If you're knowledgeable about a part of the game, share what you know. Create a tutorial or just speak up when you know an answer. Also, get a sweet avatar  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:40:17 AM by onlyindreams »

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:37:39 AM »
Hmm.... Sometimes Coming up with Solid Structures/Flows for scripts can be Very Handy. Its more than just having an idea for a script, its about bringing it to life.

Actually Using some of the More Advanced Scripters Subs, you can pretty much automate most actions in the game with very Minimal Scripting Knowledge. I know TM and EN have got some amazing libraries.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »
Hmm.... Sometimes Coming up with Solid Structures/Flows for scripts can be Very Handy. Its more than just having an idea for a script, its about bringing it to life.

Actually Using some of the More Advanced Scripters Subs, you can pretty much automate most actions in the game with very Minimal Scripting Knowledge. I know TM and EN have got some amazing libraries.
Thats also a part of beeing active here. Thanks to great Contributors, the unexperienced User can build up strong scripts as well.
You will find your way:-)

Offline lordraithTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • lordraith has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
 Thanks alot for all the great responces. From all that was said, I guess im on the right track - but i need to work on my avatar, and try my hand at putting the provided subs together to see if i can come up with my own cool tools.

Thanks everyone, for making even non-scripters feel apreciated, and usefull here.
Hey, if the Mayan's were right... at least we dont need to xmas shop this year... being lazy pays off, in the end. :D

Offline Cooms

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cooms has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
I was going to ask this myself, I have feeling the same way. I have been cruising around on this site looking for ways to help for the last month. :D I have a very limited scripting knowledge but I know the game mechanics inside and out.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »
I was going to ask this myself, I have feeling the same way. I have been cruising around on this site looking for ways to help for the last month. :D I have a very limited scripting knowledge but I know the game mechanics inside and out.
Even when you try to develope something by your own, and just show us code, ask questions about, you help us . I know some people enjoying the analysing of Code and develop the "perfect" script much more than seeing the perfect ones popping out.
Limited Knowlegde only mean you should take your time and learn, and we can support you as long as you show us, that you earn this right :)

Offline yoda29369

• Activity:
    0%
  • yoda29369 has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re:how can i download the idoc looter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
im crap at idocs been playing different shards of uo for a while now and want to tyr the idoc looter...someone plz help a newbie

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
One thing that would help me and help everyone on the boards now and in the future is to try out and give feedback on the scripts in  the submit your script section  http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?board=75.0

Its one of my missions to keep this section as empty as possible and script approvals flowing in a timely mannor.  I do not always have the time to personally test every script so I look at what others have written to determine when the script gets moved into the approved section.  

So by testing these scripts and giving feed back you are contributing to one of the most vital features here on scriptuo .. haveing a wide selection of quality scripts available at all levels of membership.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
You don't have to be a script wizard to contribute!  Talk to us, tell us about your in game adventures, lament about something you wish you could do or help us explore new content! 

All of that is what makes us a community, not just a cheatorz site.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Walk thru's. Guides. discuss what things you do ingame that might help one of us that want to do it but do not know how. bugs. there are lots of ways to contribute :)

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Also most of us started out not knowing how to script. Try changing scripts to fit your character and style. Soon you will write your first script.
(in addition to what everyone else said above)

Tags: