Author Topic: Frustrated! Problem with logical operator failing in EUO  (Read 1983 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Frustrated! Problem with logical operator failing in EUO
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
Please look at the attached screenshot and tell me...WHY AM I ON THIS LINE?!

If %bottomrow = true, I should never get here!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
Logical Problem.jpg

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Frustrated! Problem with logical operator failing in EUO
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
Check your braces.  You may have a brace imbalance.  Try running the syntax checker from SUO.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Yep, that was it.  It's proving much harder to keep track of all my branch and sequels than I thought, even for a 3x3 puzzle.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
Don't worry, I've fallen in that particular hole many times.  Part of the reason that inspired me to do the SUO thing.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Don't worry, I've fallen in that particular hole many times.  Part of the reason that inspired me to do the SUO thing.
I would venture to bet that this is probably the number one syntactical stumper for newb's and vet's alike - probably in just about any applicable language really. Thus why a decent parser is so bitchin' ;)

Imagine trying to figure that out by hand with tens of thousands of lines of code? I don't care if you're the inventor of C++, there ain't no way you're dealing with that manually and still raising children and having sex from time to time. Nope, it ain't happening.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
In case anyone cares, I've decided to scrap my current brute force logic approach to this process, and go with a rules-based one instead.  It will take a really long time for me to code it, though, so in the meantime I've been using a version of the army to keep my main character healed.

I can do individual puzzles faster that I can code a solution, but it makes me sad that a prime scripting opportunity is being lost...perhaps if someone else wants to take it on, I can provide my work thus far.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
yeah, when you have a bracket imbalance, the if statment just reads the first open bracket.

set %Boobies So_So
if %Boobies = magnificent
{
Display WOOT

Because there is no CLosing bracket, the if statment will only perform the Open Bracket if its true, so obviously it just performs everything else
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
I can relate to your excellent code example.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
I read "boobies" and immediately went off to find some.

Damn.  Did it again.

Tags: