Author Topic: Help! Installing MCE on Windows XP x64.  (Read 3150 times)

Offline CoraginTopic starter

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Help! Installing MCE on Windows XP x64.
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
Okay so I am under the impression that Windows XP Media Center Edition is a 32 bit OS and a 32 bit OS can only see 3gb of ram, is this correct?

Can windows 32 only see 3gb of ram but can actually use my whole 8gb?  Or Can it only see 3gb of ram and only use 3gb?

This is why I am asking.

I am searching google for a way to install Windows MEdia Center on my Windows XP x64 install.  Now the obvious, XP Media Center is built for a 32 bit, where as Vista and Windows 7 both have a 32 and 64 bit version.  So it leads me to understand it is possible.  While searching google I came across this little tid bit on msdn forums...

since .net framework is available to x64 platform
i may be done
but however it will break the EULA with M$
try to run this with the "medctr.inf" frm MCE with MCE disc
"rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHInfeSection Freestyle 128 medctr.inf"
if nothing happens look inside the MedCtrOc.log in WINDOWS directory

the main problem is that MCE require PID to start with 365 ie XXXXX-365-XXXX.....
other wise it will not star installation
try and checkout it works or not

Which was followed by someone say they did in fact install media center on xp64, but would not give details.

The specific line I am having a hard time with is...

Code: [Select]
rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHInfeSection Freestyle 128 medctr.inf
What does he mean?  Do I run that from a command prompt while in the media center directory on the cd?  Or do I copy it all and change an ini file?

Any help here would be most appreciated, even if it is totally off the wall suggestions, cause I am detesting vista and windows 7 due to the wonky stuff they do sometimes and my laptop runs 80% hotter with those OS as compared to XP64.  I noticed after downgrading to XP64 the fan rarely turns on, running about 75% faster, and +15 FPS, bringing it up to 30+ FPS.  Which is a big deal.  So Vista and or Windows 7 is not an option.  The only other option I see is to add a Media Center VM, since I am using all this through my xbox 360 anyways, but I would hate to have to run a VM just for that.  So please help me, if this can be done as these guys said, then I am sure we can find a way.
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Help! Installing MCE on Windows XP x64.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »
Win 32 can only see 4GB.  It's a basic limitation.  There's other limitations based on your own motherboard chipsets too; so that's something you have to take into consideration.  I have an older 939 Athlon motherboard that has some strange limits.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: