Author Topic: From rags to riches...  (Read 1195 times)

Offline CortesTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Cortes has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
From rags to riches...
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:30:01 PM »
Hello all,

I am Cortes, and I would like to introduce myself, and officially request to join your community!

I've been playing UO off-and-on during the last 20 years, generally over multiple-year intervals, and always on OSI. I fell in love with this game watching my dad and his buddies play when I was young (they started back in '97), and I have never looked back. PVP has always been my true passion in this game, and traditionally Ive always played the red/pker role. Thats how I was taught to play, and its always been the most fun Ive had in UO. Its also what led me towards my first experience with scripting, now many years ago. I used to run simple pot-chuggers on EasyUO for pvp, since it was the only way to keep up with the best players. That and cheat engine lol! Eventually I would discover training scripts, some of which I got from here along time ago. At that time I thought it was a totally game-changing experience, and it really helped me take my game to the next level.

When I first started using EUO, I was young, in highschool, and a complete script-kiddie. I would eventually take some years off from the game as I got older and went to college. By the time I was out of college, I had learned a lot more about computers, had taken a couple coding classes, and had some free-time to start playing UO again. I would say that this was also when I was at my prime in pvp. I was in my early-20s, and I was fast, talented, and extremely cocky lol. I played with and killed some of the best players to ever play the game. During this same time, UOSteam had just come onto the scene, and was starting to gain popularity amongst the better pvpers, which is how I came to find out about it. When I first started using it, and recognized its power, it completely transformed the way I played the game. It was absolutely primo in pvp, and an incredible advantage over anyone not using it. Back when I first started using Steam, I would record most of my macros in the app, which is how I came to learn the syntax. Eventually I became better and better at not just recording, but splicing together and editing scripts in a way that I never had before. I was finally able to read and edit both EUO and UOSteam scripts to handle most of what I needed/was doing back then, which was still mostly pvp, and a little bit of idocing.

Over the last few years I've slowed down in UO, taking extended hiatuses, and branching out into different aspects of the game. While I still enjoy and actively participate in pvp, it is no longer my sole focus in UO. And although I'm not as young, fast, or as good as I used to be at pvp, I have become a much much improved scripter. Scripting has become a real passion of mine, and has been a completely new UO experience for me that continues to surprise me and draw me back to this game. I'm at the point now where I often write my scripts entirely from scratch. And while I am proud of the scripts I wrote, and I get a great sense of accomplishment running them in-game, I realize that there are people way better than me in this community that I would love to learn from. I am eager to share ideas and continue to improve as a player and scripter, to hopefully reach new levels that I would once not think possible in this game. I currently write exclusively in Steam, and most of my scripts are related to gold-farming and pvp. I would love to learn how to write in EUO, and how to handle more advanced scripting techniques in both applications.

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro, and I look forward to joining your great community!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: From rags to riches...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Welcome to SUO! Thanks that awesome introduction - restricted status lifted - feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the site!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:56:13 PM »

A Warm Welcome!

Thanks for your introduction!

WELCOME!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 08:06:18 AM »
welcome to scriptuo
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »
Welcome to SUO,
Always nice to see new blood coming in.    Can't wait to see you work.

Tags: