Author Topic: Chain of Events  (Read 4823 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Chain of Events
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »
You ever get stuck in a "Chain of Events" in UO? Not like a quest chain or anything like that....

Navrey to help my PvP char:

I want to upgrade my PvP Necro/Mage's weapon to an imbued Planesword from his Swords of Prosperity. That way I get DCI and one handed weapon so I can pot. To do that I need to wear my Crystalline Ring (non faction) so it'll offset the -20 Magery. To do that I need to get back FCR 3 somehow and I can't afford Inquis. So I need to do Navrey a whole bunch of times trying to get those night eye glasses.

Make Void Orbs and Relic Fragments:

To imbue the items I want I need to have some decent quantities of VO's and RF's. To get the VO's I need to have Dark Sapphires and Black Pearls. To get the Dark Sapphires I need to mine them up. To get Relic Frags I need to have Perfect Emeralds, again having to mine them up. So I have to mine to get the stuff I need to convert into the stuff I *really* need so I can make stuff to improve my equipment/weapons.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for a non-scripter.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chain of Events
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »
ROFL, this seems to describe anytime I get on to play and is the problem with this game (although not unique to this game, WoW is even worse).

I get on thinking "I'm going to hook up with Cerv and do a spawn". I hop on my pvp/spawn mage to find that I no longer have high enough rank to wear my faction Orni. Now I need to find the character that is wearing my non-faction Orni so I can drop it in the house so my mage can put it on. I log on a couple of characters wondering where the hell I put it and eventually find it on my resource gatherer (why? I don't know). Problem is that my resource gatherer is sitting right where he was at server down the last time I ran him and somehow I manage to get myself killed by an Ogre and a Reaper (I make a mental note to stop putting off giving the resource gatherer a suit with higher than 20 resists). Now I'm dead and have to find a healer. After running for what feels like a month I find a healer and res only to find my pack void of an Orni!! With my palms sweating and my pulse racing I make the Lord of the Effing Rings journey back to my corpse which is now nothing more than a pile of bones and I manage to double-click and get my Orni just as the bones go *poof*, upon closer examination I find that the Orni was uninsured because I'm obviously an idiot.

Now I recall back to my house, drop the Orni in a trunk and log out. I login on my mage - "Another character already logged in" - GRRRR!!! Log out, log in on my resource gatherer, log out, login on my mage - Another character already logged in"...rinse, repeat - "Another character already logged in" - ARRRGGGH! Somehow I manage to keep my cool enough to walk away for a moment while my resource gatherer finally times out. I login to my mage, get the Orni, go to grab some pots and realize I'm out of effing GHeal and cock-knocking Re-effing-fresh potions! I'm nearly belligerent at this point as I'm noting that I started playing this PoS-effing game 27 effing minutes earlier and still haven't effing managed to effing get out the GD'd door! I decide "to effing HELL with pots, I don't need them anyhow" and prepare to go meet Cerv at Despise. That's when I notice my Leggings - 0 of 10 durability?!?!?!?!?! HOW THE EFFING EFF DID I MANAGE TO GET 0 OF 10 DURABILITY?!?!?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!

Now I'm looking for a repair deed so I don't have to login to my crafter on my second account, thinking perhaps firing up another client and logging in would take more time. While I'm looking for the deed I hear my wife behind me "are you going to be done soon? I want to go to bed together." (which does not mean I'm getting anything, it means she doesn't want to go to sleep while I play video games). I decide at this point that I'm never playing this game ever again and, for all I care, the whole world can burn in hell. I shut off the computer, go to bed, and my wife rolls over, gives me the back and promptly falls asleep. I stare at the dark ceiling for two hours, steaming...

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
12X, that sounds sickeningly familiar....especially the wife part.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »
ROFL, this seems to describe anytime I get on to play and is the problem with this game (although not unique to this game, WoW is even worse).

I get on thinking "I'm going to hook up with Cerv and do a spawn". I hop on my pvp/spawn mage to find that I no longer have high enough rank to wear my faction Orni. Now I need to find the character that is wearing my non-faction Orni so I can drop it in the house so my mage can put it on. I log on a couple of characters wondering where the hell I put it and eventually find it on my resource gatherer (why? I don't know). Problem is that my resource gatherer is sitting right where he was at server down the last time I ran him and somehow I manage to get myself killed by an Ogre and a Reaper (I make a mental note to stop putting off giving the resource gatherer a suit with higher than 20 resists). Now I'm dead and have to find a healer. After running for what feels like a month I find a healer and res only to find my pack void of an Orni!! With my palms sweating and my pulse racing I make the Lord of the Effing Rings journey back to my corpse which is now nothing more than a pile of bones and I manage to double-click and get my Orni just as the bones go *poof*, upon closer examination I find that the Orni was uninsured because I'm obviously an idiot.

Now I recall back to my house, drop the Orni in a trunk and log out. I login on my mage - "Another character already logged in" - GRRRR!!! Log out, log in on my resource gatherer, log out, login on my mage - Another character already logged in"...rinse, repeat - "Another character already logged in" - ARRRGGGH! Somehow I manage to keep my cool enough to walk away for a moment while my resource gatherer finally times out. I login to my mage, get the Orni, go to grab some pots and realize I'm out of effing GHeal and cock-knocking Re-effing-fresh potions! I'm nearly belligerent at this point as I'm noting that I started playing this PoS-effing game 27 effing minutes earlier and still haven't effing managed to effing get out the GD'd door! I decide "to effing HELL with pots, I don't need them anyhow" and prepare to go meet Cerv at Despise. That's when I notice my Leggings - 0 of 10 durability?!?!?!?!?! HOW THE EFFING EFF DID I MANAGE TO GET 0 OF 10 DURABILITY?!?!?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!

Now I'm looking for a repair deed so I don't have to login to my crafter on my second account, thinking perhaps firing up another client and logging in would take more time. While I'm looking for the deed I hear my wife behind me "are you going to be done soon? I want to go to bed together." (which does not mean I'm getting anything, it means she doesn't want to go to sleep while I play video games). I decide at this point that I'm never playing this game ever again and, for all I care, the whole world can burn in hell. I shut off the computer, go to bed, and my wife rolls over, gives me the back and promptly falls asleep. I stare at the dark ceiling for two hours, steaming...

X

Yes definatley my world !!!  Welcome to Mass's World !!!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »
I don't know how many times I've run the cycle of chars looking for that ONE thing that I KNOW is on one of them.

No feeling worse then leaving a bag of stuff on the ground (circle of trans hidden by a wall) for another char on the same account and getting the "Cannot connect" message when trying to log back in. Yeah, that's a feeling you don't forget.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:58:01 AM »
Hehe, I know everyone can relate!

Here's the worst part - out of that one, single 45 minute fiasco there are a number of follow-up "chain of events" that have been generated and will undoubtedly lead to similar frustrations:

1) The need to get my faction rank back up on my mage. Guaranteed to be ridiculously complicated.
2) Must either make more pots or buy a bunch to stock up. Inevitably I'll have to finish Alchemy as a result.
3) My suit is in desperate need of repair. I'd be surprised if it's not a pair of imbued leggings I've now got to "remake"
4) The need to build a better suit for my resource gatherer, I won't even go there...
5) Should aquire another Orni to avoid such issues in the future
6) Probably some issue generated with my wife as a result of my frustration with the game timed with her bedtime routine thus requiring some sort of ridiculous process of rectification IRL

...and more...

Each of these leading to yet more "Chain of events"! It never ends...never...spinning endlessly into oblivion...

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
Try having five accounts and five houses on one shard.

at one time I had 3 ornys and multiple armor of fortunes. I'm pretty sure i'm down to one orny now and 1 armor of fortune...... lol Not to mention 3 sets of imbued super slayer bows that seem to get loaned out too often, Constantly swapping mage suits for when I need a tamer, or a disco character, or a myst characer (All on my gf's account, but I only built her one suit :( )

One of my friends will hop on 6-7 accounts some times to go chain out some fire spawns. I can't even imagine the headache. Luckily they all have their own gear and weapons, but just thinking about checking all their tithing, repairs (We have a repair bot), bandaids, and arrows just gives me a headache...........
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Rheeanna

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Rheeanna has no influence.
  • It's all good
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
I insist on learning the newbie way.  AFter reading these forums, I now know why my dumb rune books don't work for the wood and ore *cries*.

Don't they know we have to go work, love the spouse, talk to the children...then try and squeeze in some quality play time! LOL

All in all though, I find I'm as anal in my uo house as I am in my real life house...is there any spell to cure OCD for house organizing? :P

I just remember, at least I can keep my stuff in a house...unlike WoW...lol 

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »
I just remember, at least I can keep my stuff in a house...unlike WoW...lol 

I remember when you could just walk into your house and throw everything on the floor and it did not decay. Now that was nice, not much for organization, but nice. :)

Offline Rheeanna

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Rheeanna has no influence.
  • It's all good
  • Respect: +6
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
Was that prior to Trammel?     

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
I believe it was PRE-AOS if I am not mistaken at this time there was fel and carebear land.  I lost my key one day and went back to my house and it had been raided everything from the front rooms and back rooms of any value was gone !!!! I had been raided and piliaged !!!!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
I miss the days of sneaking around and hiding in peoples houses until they left to pillage all that they had.  Those truly were great times!  I unfortunately was on the receiving end of that event often too but looking back at it makes me laugh.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
Back before dial up when I had a con the chain of events was normally.

Doing something productive(chaining out travesties)
Get the urge to pvp
Kill one guy
Find more people to kill
Kill everyone
Run out of people to kill
Scout for an hour.
Call it a day
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
Remember locking down tables to keep people from your stuff in your house?

Remember casting summon over and over until the house filled up, then a horse would be summoned on the other side of the tables and you could get on it and loot the house dry?

Yeah, me neither.

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
Ahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahah
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Tags: