Poll

Are you an ATI or nVIDIA fanboi?

ATI
3 (30%)
nVIDIA
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 23, 2010, 01:45:03 PM

Author Topic: ATI or nVIDIA?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
ATI or nVIDIA?
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
Please follow up with any reasons why either of these are you fav!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ATI or nVIDIA?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
I have found that the NVIDIA software and driver support has always been leagues ahead of ATI.  I have also found that I have had a lot less NVIDIA hardware failures.  I actually used to like ATI until I tried out my first NVIDIA card.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »
I've always been a GeForce guy. When they were first competing, GeForce was the definitive favorite because of it's solid performance. I've just always stuck with them.

Same thing with AMD vs Intel. Always been an AMD guy.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
I've always been a GeForce guy. When they were first competing, GeForce was the definitive favorite because of it's solid performance. I've just always stuck with them.

Same thing with AMD vs Intel. Always been an AMD guy.

Ya, same here.  After 3dfx, I jumped into nVIDIA grudgingly.  (was a 3dfx fanboi).  But with the SOLID drivers, Linux support, active customer service and forums, I've found nVIDIA to be a good choice.  The 2 times I strayed to ATI, I found myself with having to work with quirky drivers, misfunctional hardware, and lacking support.

eVGA is a great company as far as nVIDIA video card vendors are concerned.  I've had issues with SLI from time to time, and they worked tirelessly with me to either fix the issue, upgrade the BIOS, or just RMA the cards for 1 step higher performance cards for no additional cost.  You don't see that very often anymore.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
Nvidia bc I have a friend that works for them & he's ALWAYS using the "latest / greatest" & has repeatedly kicked his older cards down to me for free heh...   I've been very happy with them & have checked various sites for their values & would have paid every penny they were worth for the performance I received..

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
I was a bit worried about nVIDIA for a while.  I guess their video chips were getting so hot in Dell laptops that they were de-soldering themselves.  Yikes. Dunno if this was happening to other laptop manufacturers.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
I belive that ended up being traced to a bad batch of card production which was resolved.

Scrripty

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »
For price/performance... ATI.  Their new crop of cards are pretty great.  I've only had the opportunity to mess with a 4850 and a 5670 1gig.  But both cards are VERY solid performers.  The 4850 is CHEAP now but runs very hot.  The 5670 is SO quiet, and runs VERY cool.  I just built a system with a 5670, and it makes me want to check out the 5900 series for my own system. :)  I guess there's a 5970 coming out dubbed "Hemlock" with a dual GPU solution or something?  I think every generation of cards from both manufacturers has their plus' and minus'... you just have to weigh them. :)  I think ATI's new 5900 series is gonna smoke nvidia.  But I like ATI.  We'll see.  (Yes yes, their drivers have sucked for a while, but you gotta expect some headaches with any company mergers.) :)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
I have liked ATI.  Two reasons Cheap price for a decent to great video card and well known architecture so there are a ton more over clocks for the ati chips.

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
For price/performance... ATI.  Their new crop of cards are pretty great.  I've only had the opportunity to mess with a 4850 and a 5670 1gig.  But both cards are VERY solid performers.  The 4850 is CHEAP now but runs very hot.  The 5670 is SO quiet, and runs VERY cool.  I just built a system with a 5670, and it makes me want to check out the 5900 series for my own system. :)  I guess there's a 5970 coming out dubbed "Hemlock" with a dual GPU solution or something?  I think every generation of cards from both manufacturers has their plus' and minus'... you just have to weigh them. :)  I think ATI's new 5900 series is gonna smoke nvidia.  But I like ATI.  We'll see.  (Yes yes, their drivers have sucked for a while, but you gotta expect some headaches with any company mergers.) :)

Agreed.

Offline Nazren

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Nazren has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »
Always been an ATI guy my self, Mainly because price for performance, personally most games now adays show no difference on either brands of cards that are rated at same speeds and qualities. But when I can get an ATI card which I feel I can OC better then Nvidia for 100 bucks cheaper with no problems thats where I tend to go haha

Its kinda like the fight between Intel and AMD even though the I7 Cores are amazing Im not paying a grand when I can go buy a new AMD 6 core for $300

So im just picky on prices

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
I've always used nVIDIA cards, but the latest ATI cards are much much better than older ones. Not to mention, they tend to work very well on AMD boards since AMD makes both, and I am a huge AMD fan!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: