Author Topic: Wireless Router suggetions, please!  (Read 21620 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Wireless Router suggetions, please!
« on: February 07, 2014, 05:30:40 AM »
+1
1) My ISP tells me that my down/up speeds are as intended, but I'm getting a lot of packet loss inside the house.
2) My wireless router is an old Linksys W600N, about 4-6 years old (I think), and they blame the router.

Are they feeding me a line (they've been great for 3 years) or do I need to replace it?

What do you recommend?

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ximan has no influence.
  • Respect: +16
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Router suggetions, please!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
+1
I picked up an asus rt-n66u back when I needed to replace the wireless capability of the pos router required for verizon fios, and haven't had any issues.  It only supports up to n; the rt-ac66u supports 802.11ac but haven't personally owned or used one.  My only complaint is with the initial set up; has a very obstructionist wizard that is best bypassed.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
+1
Just to be sure you have your channel picked correctly, try out http://www.inssider.com

I have 2 separate wireless networks running at home.  My ZyXEL router is kinda crappy and slow, but it does most of my work.  When I need to stream at high speed, I use my Rosewill dual-band.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »
+1
Just to be sure you have your channel picked correctly, try out http://www.inssider.com

If you have an android phone the free app farproc Wifi Analyzer is pretty handy too.

Like TM points out, it's all about the environment.  Might also look into wifi repeaters if it is a distance issue.  Had to set those up at my parents. They still have issues with apple devices, everything else works fine.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
+1
What repeater did you use, Ximan?  I have the same issue at my family's house and then one I chose sucks pretty hard.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
+1
What repeater did you use, Ximan?  I have the same issue at my family's house and then one I chose sucks pretty hard.

Originally a d-link n300 extender from office depot (or something that looks similar), placed at the top of an open stairwell.  At some point they replaced that one with a netgear wn3500rp trying to fix ipad issues.  Ipad aside, biggest problem is overbuilt structure between router location and where my dad wants to browse (exact opposite end of house, on different floor).  Running cable for another, nearer access point would be the best solution, but pricey.  There is some direct wiring already in place (for an intercom system) that I've thought about rigging with a couple of homeplug av adapters as a network bridge, haven't gotten around to finding out if it's actually feasible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:52:38 PM by ximan »

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
+1
Get a linksys WRT54G and load it up with DDWRT.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
+1

If by W600N NObama means a WRT600N, looks like he could flash ddwrt onto it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT600N

So you've gotta ask yourself a question NObama "do I feel lucky?"  Well, do ya?

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
+1
So you've gotta ask yourself a question NObama "do I feel lucky?"  Well, do ya?

You left off the necessary(for Nobama) word:  "Punk!" lol
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:33:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:02 AM »
+1

If by W600N NObama means a WRT600N, looks like he could flash ddwrt onto it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT600N

So you've gotta ask yourself a question NObama "do I feel lucky?"  Well, do ya?

That is, in fact, my router.  What does this firmware do?

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »
+1
All the tech will tellt you that it never their installation or to upgrade to keep up with their upgrade.   If you are unsure if you are losing packet, just connect one PC to the modem and see what happen, after install your router.   Linksys have a neat software that allow you anyone that join your network, event a guest. 

I use to have an old basic linksys 4 port work for years.  When I upgrade to wireless capability problem started to arose.  I have try a multiples  router,  I'm sure Future shop( electronic stores)  have my name on the no more return allow list.  I have try all the linksys on the market and none working  like I wanted.   I went with D-link 655 and work great for hard wire ans close ( 20 ft-wireless)  but wireless  pass 60 ft I'm getting weak signal,just 2/5 of his strength.

not sure if that work where you from  but here a link to test speed
http://www.speedtest.net/

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 02:26:36 AM »
+1
4-6 years is getting old for a router, over time the heat starts to damage it along with age. I generally replace mine every 2 years or so but part of that is because I live in Florida and we have a lot of power surges due to lightning. I am currently using a Linksys EA3500 and have had it for about 1 1/2 years. It's been a good router for gaming and streaming netflix. I think I paid somewhere  between $150-$175 for it but it was a while ago and I do not remember. Here is the FAQ for it and will give you some insight on it.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=aca5e5197cc342d1957797b57ed83b8d_Getting_to_know_the_Linksys_EA3500.xml

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
+1
I have found throughout the different ISPs that use that not all modems are created equal.  I could not get Belkin Routers to work with Xfinity/Comcast modems.  I could not get Cisco to function properly with CenturyLink.  It is for some reason the way they communicate.

The main thing is to find that one router that does work with them.  Also as stated before, you need to set a specific channel for wifi communication that is best for its location.  Using Auto is not always the best.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline ximan

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
+1
That is, in fact, my router.  What does this firmware do?

it's a linux distro with appropriate drivers and a number of networking tools (routing firewall vpn etc) included.  also, for some models, can tweak (boost) things like power output.  if radio hardware is actually degraded it isn't going to revive it or anything, however if manufacturer doesn't produce current firmware updates it might be worth a try, though only if you have (ample) time/patience to tinker.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
+1
4-6 years is getting old for a router, over time the heat starts to damage it along with age. I generally replace mine every 2 years or so but part of that is because I live in Florida and we have a lot of power surges due to lightning. I am currently using a Linksys EA3500 and have had it for about 1 1/2 years. It's been a good router for gaming and streaming netflix. I think I paid somewhere  between $150-$175 for it but it was a while ago and I do not remember. Here is the FAQ for it and will give you some insight on it.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=aca5e5197cc342d1957797b57ed83b8d_Getting_to_know_the_Linksys_EA3500.xml

What part of Florida Crisis.... My Equipment also gets lighting surge zaps.. sucks....    Using some powerlines worked in my mums house... myself I just hardwired another router.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: