Author Topic: The RunUO/XMLSpawner section!  (Read 18747 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
The RunUO/XMLSpawner section!
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »
+1
For those people who have opted to play with the inner-workings of RunUO, you may have come across references to XMLSpawner.  This is pretty much the best way for a GM/Seer/Admin to add content-on-the-fly to their freeshard as well implement all sorts of player automation.

Unfortunately, the sources for this information are drying up on the interwebz.  So I've created a section for all to share knowledge and learn from a hopefully growing cache of information.

I have lots of random information, and hopefully over the next few months, I can organize what I have and present it for ya'll to digest and assimilate. 

Also, if you find examples, documents, links, etc in your own stash, please post what you have so we can keep the knowledge of this wonderful tool alive!

TM
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Re: The RunUO/XMLSpawner section!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:04:35 AM »
+1
Thanks TM.  THis will be awesome.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
+1
Thanks TM.  THis will be awesome.

I've been wanting to do this for a while.  Every time we do an event on Rebirth, I have to scramble and find all my notes on XMLSpawner because I tend to forget all the nuggets of information I utilize during the event creation.  It's amazing how versatile it is but boy it's hard to use and difficult to remember everything.

XMLSpawner knowledge is a dying art.  Most everybody goes off to do RunUO script developing and that leaves XMLSpawner to languish and die.  But from the perspective of real-time content addition and tools that can be used by non-admins, XMLSpawner is really the only way to add dynamic content that I know of that doesn't require a server code-base recompile.

I'm not really the best advocate for XMLSpawner; I barely know much about it and what I know I can be very dangerous with.  :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:07:23 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »
+1
I did a search last night on Google and find it interesting.  It neat to see it in action and all the action it does.   

TM  we have a TC to practice your skill.   That one aspect of the game I don't have to worry, 

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
+1
Oh I practice on the Live server!  :)  That's the neat thing about XMLSpawner is I can do it while everyone is around and I don't normally crash anything.  NORMALLY...

My first tutorial will be on mini-champ spawns.  I might even try and do a YouTube tutorial.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:21:44 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
+1
Here are a couple of tutorials:

https://www.servuo.com/threads/xml-spawner-tutorial.98/

https://www.servuo.com/threads/xmlspawner-tutorials.3130/

There are probably more in there that will be helpful as well. I used them back in 04 and it is an awesome tool for spawning. I love it's versatility.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
+1
I'll add those links to the "links" section when I compile it.  Problem is links disappear all the time.  There was many on runuo.com that are now all dead.  :(
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:18 AM »
+1
I got to play with those when a friend and I were messing with freeservers, super cool tools. Thanks for all you do tm
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 05:44:46 AM »
+1
I got to play with those when a friend and I were messing with freeservers, super cool tools. Thanks for all you do tm

I can't say this is going to be a fast process though.  I have a bit of a push to get things ready for the event on Rebirth, so that'll be a good time to jot down the important things.  I forgot a bit about the attachments I used last time, so it'll be nice to have them in one place so they'll be easier to remember next time.  :)  I'm getting old and forgetful.  lol

And thanks for the thanks.  heh.  I'll be happy if a treatment for my forgetfulness will be useful for others.

But in the mean time, work is crazy so this will be a slow update.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
+1
I'll add those links to the "links" section when I compile it.  Problem is links disappear all the time.  There was many on runuo.com that are now all dead.  :(
Can you make a Wiki for this, so the info will only vanish if the site go down.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »
+1
Can you make a Wiki for this, so the info will only vanish if the site go down.

Not a fan of Wiki though.  I hate having to remember another syntax...
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
For those people who have opted to play with the inner-workings of RunUO, you may have come across references to XMLSpawner.  This is pretty much the best way for a GM/Seer/Admin to add content-on-the-fly to their freeshard as well implement all sorts of player automation.

Unfortunately, the sources for this information are drying up on the interwebz.  So I've created a section for all to share knowledge and learn from a hopefully growing cache of information.

I have lots of random information, and hopefully over the next few months, I can organize what I have and present it for ya'll to digest and assimilate. 

Also, if you find examples, documents, links, etc in your own stash, please post what you have so we can keep the knowledge of this wonderful tool alive!

TM

TM Do you still have your XMLSpawner stuff that you figured out?
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »

TM Do you still have your XMLSpawner stuff that you figured out?

I never got a copy of it off Rebirth, but if you have a backup of that somewhere then it all should be there.  I remember going through all that.  XMLSpawner was incredibly cool, but completely undocumented except for places that would probably not be available anymore.  Kinda what I wanted to do with this section was to catalog documentation so it won't be lost.

Honestly, it was trying to figure out the XMLSpawner thing that sort of broke me from doing Seer/GM stuff.  It's just such a PITA to use.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:12:42 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: runuo xmlspawner