Author Topic: Review: Avatar  (Read 8183 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Review: Avatar
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »

When I first heard about this movie and the hype that was coming with, I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Crap, here we go again!"  Yet another Hollywood blockbuster with large explosions, over-the-top CGI, including the possibility of no storyline whatsoever.  Yet another mindless formulaic excuse to make money from us poor souls one more time.  Hollywood has been devoid of anything very satisfying in a very long time.  Batman Returns was finally something that we could all sit back and enjoy for the show and story.  But there really has been nothing in recent history that has really come to challenge our expectations or really deliver in a complete package.

I didn't really know much about the history of this film; I've been under a rock lately and haven't been spending nearly the time I normally do looking at upcoming media.  I suppose that's just a bit more apathy that's transformed me into a Hollywood skeptic.  I heard that James Cameron was in charge of this film from the basic creative roots to post-production, so that had me intrigued.  I've been a big fan of his work since the days of "Aliens".  So we do know that he understands how to entertain the folks and spend the movie budget in very thoughtful and creative ways.  The envelope will be pushed under his watch; I had no doubts.  I still have never seen "Titanic".  Not meaning to disrespect Jim, but I have to give a nod to my absolute loathing of Leo (sorry Leo, but I doubt you play UO, heh).

So I didn't go see this film on opening day, or even a couple weeks after its release.  However during that time, I did start to take notice of the critical reviews as well as the fan response on sites like rottentomatoes and fandango.  I generally try and see movies that Roger Ebert dislikes just because he's normally out in left field regarding his critical reviews of the big Hollywood block-busters.  But when he came back and compared his experience with that of the first screening of "Star Wars", well that just confused me even more.  So I just had to see it to see who was lying to whom.

So sitting there with those damn silly 3d glasses on my face, I started to watch.  First the silly 3d credits (I'm looking forward to seeing that 3D Dragon film!) and then on to the rest of the movie.  First thing that struck me was the absolutely georgeous feel of the 3D world with the glasses.  Jim knows 3d from his work on the Voyage to Titanic he did with DSRVs.  But this was something completely different.  No 3D gimicks, but rather integrating the 3d world throughout the film.  I got used to everything kinda poking out of the screen after a while.  Every once in a while when a missle wizzed past my ear, I realized I wasn't really watching a normal movie.

Generally with CGI even in this day and age, there's just something missing.  This was perhaps the first CGI heavy film that didn't make me spend most of my time catching all the little errors that haunt other films.  I was actually able to sit and watch the actors ACT and the CGI ACT as well.  That was truly a monumental achievement.  This film was approached with an eye to detail that I've never seen before.  The perspective of the avatars to the normal humans is just an example.  It's mind-bending to think of having to manage all these aspects of a film this huge and keep it from turning into a train wreck at the end.  Overall, the CGI and special effects were unequaled in any film to date.

So we've got a good movie from the special effects standpoint (outstanding in this film's case), but generally this is where the story will kill a film.  The latest Transformers film is a good example of that.  Great special effects, but man the story just wanted to be jettisoned from the airlock.  So I guess this is what was most surprising to me about this film was a rich, deep and moving storyline.  Ultimately, we've all seen this movie before in other incarnations:

Introduce good, learn good, good repressed by evil, evil seems to dominate, good wins in the end.  

I've lost track of all the films that follow this way of storytelling.  Thankfully, this film wraps the vision of the director around this seemingly basic formula and takes you in what seems like a new direction.  In the end, I was completely entertained and was left wanting to see the sequel.  Oh yes, there will be a sequel.

Probably some people will cry foul for the obvious political message that's conveyed during the film.  I'm a very political cat, and these days I just try to put the never-ending political assault aside in order to find a level of enjoyment that's agreeable. Hopefully you'll be able to make that transformation so you'll be able to appreciate the film for all its merits.

So my final thoughts are this is THE best film I've seen since even before the LOTR series.  Frankly, I haven't been moved quite like this by a movie in a very long time.  So the hype was true for the first time since I can remember as an adult.  I'd even go so far as to say that Roger Ebert was correct (gasp!) in his comparison of this film to "Star Wars".  Star Wars changed film making forever, and there's no doubt in my mind that "Avatar" will have equal effect.

P.S.  I'm looking forward to seeing this for the 4th time next weekend.  ;)

Your humble reviewer,
TrailMyx

P.S.  For the record, I saw the original Star Wars 7 times in the theatre back then.  That means I begged, borrowed, or hijacked a ride to the theatre all those times.  These days, I have 3 cars to get there!  Watch out!  eheh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:22:13 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
Right on, A friend of mine wanted to go see it. I thought the blue face on the Thing looked cool (I have no tv, and don't watch previews or read reviews), so I figured I'd join. Movie was great. Hands down amazing.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »
This movie was in doubt a representation of how we oppressed the Native American Population.  They had the plains people, the sea people, and then the tree people.  They all had mannerisms of that we saw in old westerns about them.  And their love of their "Earth" was moving.  All aspects the were in our Native Americans.

I loved this movie. I cried i laughed.  I felt true emotion and wanted to be right there to help their "cause".  I have not been into a movie like this in forever.  One where it just battled all my senses and emotions and made me feel like a human. 

Thanks for the review TM. Was great.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
Ya, I added a little disclaimer about the political aspects.  It might turn off some people.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Inspektor

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Inspektor has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
I thought this movie was absolutely amazing. The colors in it were mind blowing.       

Scrripty

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »

When I first heard about this movie and the hype that was coming with, I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Crap, here we go again!"

OMG, HOW COULD YOU THINK THAT??? JAMES CAMERON??? ALIEN/ALIENS??? :)  He's always been able to do amazing things with small budgets!  I knew it was going to rock when I heard an interview with him, and he said, I've lived and dreamed this world as a kid, and now I'm at a time in my life, where the technology and skill required to do a project like this made it possible... I knew I was going to see it. :)

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
I was actually very hesitant in seeing this movie the first time I saw it.  I heard soo much hype just like TM did and was really skeptical...however I was quickly turned once I saw it!  The story itself wasn't that amazing but the revolution in the use of CG was just ridiculous!  For being a huge CG fan I was impressed when I realized that I was still watching a CG film and didn't realize it was CG unless I actually thought about it!

Scrripty

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
Like the part at the end where he fell out of his machine and the blue monkey girl picked him up in her hands and yelled "JAKE!" haha That was SO REALISTIC.  I tried as hard as I could to see any defects in the cg... and I couldn't... no shadows out of place... nothing.  Amazing work.  If you know CG and video post production in movies... the work they did on Avatar was far and above the norm... top notch. :)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
I think this is the best review for Avatar out there: (but I do like yours too TM!)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
Oh yeh, that or Dances With Wolves.  That plot has been spun over and over again.  Thankfully they did a good job with the same old goods.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: