Author Topic: The future is Linux!  (Read 51975 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: The future is Linux!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
Ah, that's harsh.  :) Linux of 2010 is WAAAAY more friendly than when I started with it in 92-93.  Back then I was installing Slackware from 5.25" disks.  Command line all the way and the very first Xsession stuff.

Redhat even was able to identify my network HP scanner when Win7 could not.  I've been a fan for a very long time.  I've switched all my computers at my house except for 1 to Fedora 12; even my laptops and netbook.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »
I can't help but be disappointed with linux in general.  I'd have thought it would have come a LONG way towards being a more "commercial" os in all these years.  You can argue all day about the merits of Linux, but in the end, it hasn't been hugely adopted because of its learning curve.  Slap some more useability features on it and make it easy.  I'm in.  I'll even pay. :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
I can't help but be disappointed with linux in general.  I'd have thought it would have come a LONG way towards being a more "commercial" os in all these years.  You can argue all day about the merits of Linux, but in the end, it hasn't been hugely adopted because of its learning curve.  Slap some more useability features on it and make it easy.  I'm in.  I'll even pay. :)

When was the last time you tried it?  I have an easier time installing Fedora than I do for windows, plus more things actually work the first time. Also, with most larger linux distributions, you get a boat-load of free installable applications.  I just don't see where linux isn't "usable".  I'm typing to you right now from it, via Firefox and it's working swimmingly.  And I haven't issued a single Bash-shell command in a few weeks.  So I'm not gonna argue about any merits, I'm just gonna say it's easy and it works.  ;)

P.S.  More people use Linux than do Macs.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
I've tried a few different.  Ubuntu being one.  I've played with most over the years.  And I haven't ever really been impressed.  You tell me which one is best, list me the apps to install, and I'll try it again.  But it would have to be a LOT better than Ubuntu half a year ago for me to adopt it.  And I mean a LOT. :)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
I can't really speak for Ubuntu since I've only installed that one once.  For kidz who like to do multimedia stuff and play gamez, it seems pretty good.  Debian spins are normally pretty nice.  I have always been a Redhat man since I gave up on Slackware, so I've thouroughly enjoyed the Fedora project.  That's probably not for you because it allows Redhat to experiment on use like lab rats (well cared for lab rats, though.)

So I guess it just comes down to what you do with your computer.  For this one, I surf the web, rip music, read emails, create presentations with OpenOffice, emulate windows with Wine for UO (yes, I play UO in Wine well enough), surf the newsgroups, and play bejeweled.  So I'm covered and it doesn't cost me a dime.  I just got done spending $250 on Win7, and I find that I spend more time in Fedora.  Yikes.  So for me, I've addressed most if not all my general computer usage needs from Linux.  It's just a different experience, and personally I like to have a bit more control over things.  I don't exactly think Bill Gates knows best all the time about what my computer experience should be. ;)

My main CPU is multi boot anyhow, so if I really need Windows for something, I have Win2003, Win7 and Redhat 12 available.  So I've got the best of all worlds.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 07:32:06 AM »
Oh hell I just finally got my rig back up and running!  Now you how me this!  Questions, ovibously I know what Wine is, how easy is it to find drivers and updated them for linux?

Second, Can linux support multiple monitors?  i.e. 3?

Is there a good media center for linux that will utilize not only the media center remote but will use my tuner card as well and bluray?  Links appreciated if they are a yes.  I would switch to linux in a second if they had all that and a firefox :)
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
I've never run more than 2 monitors in Linux.  Chances are good that I'll work since that's a driver dependency that's normally covered by video card manufacturers.  Still would be good to check for sure.  But I always have 2 monitors running on all my rigs, and all is good.  3d desktop effects even work with the two monitors (window wobble, 3d cubic desktop, multiple desktops, etc.)

With Fedora, it uses YUM (an update manager originally from Yellowdog), and this keeps your system up to date including all the software tracked by the update manager.  So when you kernel changes, programs like Wine will update if needed.  EUO doesn't work very well under Wine, FYI.  It's good for just playing though.  Sometimes I think it runs smoother under Wine.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline sowizzar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • sowizzar has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
if you want to use a capture card with linux, check out the mythtv (also check to see if its supported too :P

I hear good things about XBMC for linux as well...

If you want the stability of linux but with user friendly features go buy a mac... I know... I know... its BSD  but they are very close cousins.  If you feel like you need control over your computer, your best bet is linux.

Personally I run Ubuntu, I think the latest version is Great!  If you want to talk about easy installing of software, use the Add software button on the "start" menu.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  Plus I really like the way debian handles their updating of the system with aptitude.

I can't say how it compares to red hat... but I did give fedora (9?) a shot a bit ago and it had problems getting drivers for my hardware which ubuntu did not.

Offline Katu

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Katu has no influence.
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
I use Windows, becouse Linux is not for gamers. You can praise it as long as you want, but wine can't do everything. New games never work and most of the old ones either.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »
I use Windows, becouse Linux is not for gamers. You can praise it as long as you want, but wine can't do everything. New games never work and most of the old ones either.

That's why I always keep one computer around that's able to dual-boot.  Gaming in Linux can be a pain in the butt.  However, you can have some success with in.  In fact, I preferred to play WoW in Linux because the framerate was much higher for me than running in Windows.  But I do agree with your Linux/Gaming assessment.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »
Here is a nice article on stratics about installing and running uo in linux, and it's been updated.
http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31435
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
Hey TM,

Was wondering if you had any suggestions for me as for a new distro? I've used gentoo before, only on my desktop though, I cannot get it to install correctly on my laptop (which is where I want to have linux). Right now I am sporting Linux Mint (I heard it was a decent offset of Ubuntu) however I have decided that I really dislike it and have been wanting to go with something maybe in the KDE area, I was also looking into Slackware (13.37 version) a bit. I am unable to decide though.

Basically all I really want it for is a when I am out and about, away from my Desktop. Gotta survive out there IRL, right? Always on the run, but never AFK. :>
Something that performs fast, will continue to let me learn python, allows me to remote desktop and check things out, maybe even log into UO with a VM of sorts and will support aircrack-ng. Basically all I really do anymore is game, learn code, and reverse code engineer, and I already utilize Backtrack as a sandbox environment via live CD (Which I should actually make a bit more permanent... I need to figure out a way to make it load fresh from the HDD, yet maintain system security.)

Anyways, would you have any suggestions?

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:57 AM »
Ubuntu spins are still the best if you are going to be doing multimedia stuff, IMHO.  I'm still running Fedora, though.  I only do that because I'm used to the Yellowdog variants from days gone by.  I'm not one of those people that will randomly say, "Ubuntu sucks" without having anything to back it up.  I've used it successfully a couple times, but I was just not used to where they moved my cheese vs. Fedora.

I haven't used much else recently.  I've used Mandriva, Gentoo and openSUSE also in the past, but those have dropped off somewhat.  Mint sounds interesting.  One problem with distros these days is that they are embracing GNOME3 (please find my other post on how that sucks).  Unfortunately, the latest versions of KDE don't work much better, so I'm pretty happy with XFCE.  So if the UI is bugging you with Mint, try and see if XFCE can be installed.  That helped me alot.  Using Gnome3 is like using your laptop like an Etch-a-sketch.  Simply terrible.

I was using Fedora/XFCE on my multimedia box for a while, but I finally switched over to Win7.  Just was missing all kinda of features like a multimedia server to access my countless terabytes of movies, music, etc.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Ahh

Yeah I really do not like GNOME in general, despite it's recent downfalls... KDE in my experience has been far more pleasurable in both feel and performance. I'll have to checkout XFCE, I've heard good things about it, have never actually looked at it though. If an ubuntu variant is your suggestion though, I'll checkout the lates Mint and see how it does.

How is multimedia defined though?

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
Well if you didn't really like Gnome, then you probably won't like XFCE.  The reason I like XFCE is because it's more like Gnome 2.0 that the Gnome people burned like a witch with the introduction of 3.0.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: