Author Topic: World Traveler Beta Version 0.9 for FINAL Public testing - [CLOSED]  (Read 15873 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Thanks for having a look at this kenshin87. Obviously this is an old script and I'm not currently supporting this version. There is however a private beta testing group for this script. Some of the new features in the current beta include rails that cover Tokuno, Malas, Ter Mur and half of the main Britannia world.  There's several skill to train while searching for idocs, character defense abilitys, Malas secret location searching and rune creation,..loads more.  To become a beta tester simply PM me!

Offline mrmr

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mrmr has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: World Traveler Beta Version 0.9 for FINAL Public testing - [CLOSED]
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:23 AM »
does this script use an A* tile-based-pathfind to wander around houses?

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 06:41:24 AM »
Not positive what A* is, an algorithm or certain other code? Either way, no. This specific version only has a few Move commands. It'll move your character towards a banker/minter NPC.  My private beta however takes your character around most of the world based on a rail. At times, pathfind is used to navigate around known geographic obstacels, and a few known shard specific obstacles.  The rails are created using TrailMyx's Rail Designer, and are run with the accompanying Rail Engine.  95% of it is by move, and the whole world is 98% completed and running well.

Offline mrmr

• Activity:
    0%
  • mrmr has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 06:53:02 AM »
A* Pathfind is an algorithm to "pre-calculate" a path through a "map", where some tiles are walkable and some not.

references:
http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2003.asp
http://www.tanis.dk/Articles/CSharpPathfind/
http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm

You say that 98% of the world is walkable with your rails, but how can those rails handles different houses placement?
I've to admit I've not tried your script, but as I'm researching on those pathfind algorithms I thought that a A* pathfind sub could help ya alot.

I'll link some easyuo threads on the subject:
http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6095
http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8662
http://www.easyuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31242

EDIT:
It's still unclear to me how I could get informations about houses placement.
We know that it's kinda easy get from maps which tiles are walkable and which are not, but houses are not "statics", so I'd need some kind of map, like the UOAM's. Still not sure if this is doable anyway
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:17:21 AM by mrmr »

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 07:29:48 AM »
A short while before I started writing this script, I did indeed check out EasyUo and all the movement based talk I could find.  At the time, I knew next to nothing about easyuo script writing, so unfortunately, most of their conversations were all greek to me.

I'll re-phrase it, 98% of all the rails are created and in working order. I have 2 more to implement for the Elite Special Edition.

How I've created this to work across all shards took alot of time and UO map studying.  To describe it would would take a bit of time, but it does work. The rails themselves do their job which is to roam the common geographic landscapes. My script also has a special beta function called Home Roam which is 100% pathfinding. This function is used in areas that I describe as 'house clusters'. These area's are the ones where rail creation wouldn't be logical for the exact reason you state, "but how can those rails handles different houses placement?"

I'm really glad you've posted those links, a few I had visited in the time I mentioned above, so I'll definitely be checking them out. You're more than welcome to have a look at the private beta code (just PM me requesting to become a beta tester), but there are certain rules that beta testers must adhere to for a few obvious reasons.

Thanks for some great intelligent talk about this and the links. :) .

Offline mrmr

• Activity:
    0%
  • mrmr has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »
thank you for the offer...I'll probably take a look at your code, cause I'm kinda interested in those "pathfind" sub.

Right now I'm trying to get a working A* pathfind sub written in lua (yeah, the infamous OpenEUO language...tbh i LOVE lua, it's just simple and straightforward...), but I'll work on some C# code too in the future.

It's just I don't like very much the "movement" subs existing now.

Pathfind alone, would work fine I guess, but it's spammy (and you cannot move more than about 20 tiles), while the Move command isn't so reliable, so for now, while i'm studing those pathfind algorithms, I'm just using a mixed "Move+Pathfind" sub.
It's kinda working for short movements (like those we're using in most rails), but sometimes you just need to say "Move(thereX, thereY)", even if the "spot" is kinda distant...so an A*pathfind would fit well there (without abusing it, cause the calculation "slow" most of the time...even more, when the distance is greater...)

Anyway, you gave me the answer I was looking for about clustered houses zones ;)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »
Honestly, The pathfinding is done with BadManiac's AutoMagic Pathfinding Sub found here. It does have some issues with it which I address in my script. Checks for goal XY met, house obstacles, impassable tiles, distance over time calculations based on character running or not, and a few other error checks and relocation subs.

I chose to use BM's because it allowed me to pathfind to an infinite distance, as opposed to those that only do 20 or so. Indeed it is a bit spammy, but for my scripts implementation of it, it's not to bad and allows for other script actions and user interaction (pause and quit buttons).

Glad I could help with your query. Should you decide to check out the private beta script, you'll also have the opportunity to download and view separately the Home Roam sub. It has alot of information with it.

Tags: