Author Topic: Dan Nocera from MIT on water to energy  (Read 1797 times)

Offline luv2luvlongTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Nocera from MIT on water to energy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »
Well - I think the required catalysts that he needs are more expensive then he anticipates. Most of these chemists find a really good catalyst but fail to figure how to recycle them once they are used. Still he has some really good points about small energy plants. We have been using the "economy of scale" theory to build most anything as the bigger the cheaper (through put to the 0.6 power - So really big is great but the problems also get very large).

I enjoyed watching it - thanks for posting.

PS - I like his other solution also - cut the number of people in the world by educating women.

Offline luv2luvlongTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
I thought you'ld like that.

And I totally agree on the education thing, but not just for women. I have always thought that if you really want to solve all the probs of the world you have to educate everyone to the N'th degree. It's to bad though there are people in charge that don't want that.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Interestingly on the news a moment ago they were taking about 192k of new jobs last month and one person cut in and said well thats really no that great as the US needs 150k of new jobs every month just to cover population increase. 
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: