Author Topic: An Idiots (Crisis) Guide to Reforging  (Read 15213 times)

Offline CrisisTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
An Idiots (Crisis) Guide to Reforging
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »
First off, I do not know everything about reforging nor do I claim to. I have played around a lot with it and found it very rewarding, yet wasteful and expensive. It may take 25-40 burns on a runic, 3 charges per burn,  to get what you are looking for. It is a great way though to get a mod that you want to be over its cap. First the basics so you are familiar with what I am talking about. http://uo2.stratics.com/items/runic-re-forging and http://www.uoguide.com/Runic_Re-Forging

The first thing I recomend is to check out these threads. They are all stratics threads and are extremely worth reading. Semmersets charts are invaluable when choosing your mod, runic, and reforging choices.

CorwinXX has an awesome how to reforge post which almost makes mine unnecessary. http://stratics.com/community/threads/reforging-how-to.264020/  What I did was I experimented with making a luck suit as that is what he used as an example. It made it a lot easier to tell if I was understanding it or not. I don't have a whole lot of use for the suit I made but it did come in handy. Make sure that you read the entire thread of his because a lot of people asked different questions that I had been wondering so almost the entire thread helped me better my understanding. Semmerset adds a bunch of lists of mods and stuff. Those are a great reference and I am going to talk about his charts next.

Semmerset is a reforging genius and able to answer so many questions. He is extremely helpful so if you ever get a chance to ask him something, I highly recommend it. He has charts in tons of threads and Stratics went ahead and put them all in one place for easy reference. http://uo2.stratics.com/items/runic-re-forging/semmersets-re-forging-charts . The charts are based on the materials that you want to use. It tells you which runic to use to get each mod and what to choose. For example, a lot of people are talking about 100% elemental damage. If you look at the second chart, it is the dull, shadow, copper runic chart. Scroll down the chart until you find elemental damage. It then shows that it is for a weapon. This one is obvious that it will be weapon only but other mods have categories for weapon or armor. In order to get 100% elemental damage with a dull copper you will have to choose exquisite/of quality and fundametal reforge but the downside is that it would not be able to be repaired and have a couple of other mods. So right off, you know that dull copper is not the way to go. Shadow and copper runics can get you a 100% elemental damage with only one to 2 mods using a powerful reforge. It would not be brittle or non-repairable. You will also not get 100% right away unless extremely lucky. When I experimented with getting a 100% poison mod on a sword, I made 23 swords before getting 100% poison damage as the only mod and I think that was lucky. Semmerset has a list of reforge caps here http://stratics.com/community/threads/reforging-how-to.264020/#post-2104643 and then the different reforging names choices here http://stratics.com/community/threads/reforging-how-to.264020/#post-2107850

To start reforging, you need to be next to a soulforge, then you double click your runic and target the item to be reforged. Make sure you have plenty of runics and I like to combine 2-3 of them together before starting. To combine runics, they must be the same type. The key to reforging is to only choose one name. When you choose more than one name you end up with more mods. For an example with the 100% elemental damage, if you choose exquisite and of quality, you will most likely get 2-3 mods. To get only 1 - 2 mods you would choose only grand artifice and inspired artifice. Choosing grand artifice only will give you a random mod. If you choose powerful, structural, or fundamental you will end up with more mods and then brittle or cannot repair. Once you have the mod that you want, remember to use POF on it!! I got all excited on a weapon when I was first playing around with it and imbued right after reforging and then it was a DOH moment when I saw that I wasted 2 runics, and some very nice imbuing resources for 48 durability. DOH!

I am not sure what else to add at this point because there is so much out there to get you started. If you have any questions, post them and I will do my best to answer them. Here is a screenshot of the reforge menu

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:22:25 AM by Crisis »

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
Re: An Idiots (Crisis) Guide to Reforging
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
Great write-up and link references Crisis, very much appreciated!

I can't get to Stratics from work anymore but I'll definitely start looking through this and your other thread for with links once I get home.

I like your idea of using the luck suit example to follow along and make sure you're grasping what he talks about, I learn best that way myself.

This is a great kick-off thread for more reforge talk, +rep!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »
Oh, and just to add -

I blew through all of my shadow runics and then another 10 I bought at 85k per just making 100% elementals. I found that I was averaging about 1 100% elemental per hammer and, no idea if there's anything to it or if it was just coincidence, I ended up with 1 Cold, 2 Energy, 1 Chaos, and about 8 Poison - pretty odd numbers lol.

I hit 90/10 Fire twice but broke both of them when trying to enhance with Bronze.

I also ended up getting a 20 SSI Lizardmen Slayer which was kind of what I was working on anyhow (I was planning on imbuing one of the 100% Cold with Reptile Slayer, not a 100% Physical Lizardmen Slayer); I was just trying to get something to farm Wrong with so I stopped - although running out of hammers and gold certainly helped me stop as well...

Anyhow, I need to put together some mass amounts of runics so I can go experiment and finish my Sampire suit.

X

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
That is strange on the elemental 12X^. I went through 4 shadow runics making bladed staff's the other day and I got 7 energy 3 cold and 1 fire and fire was what I was shooting for. I never get 100% poison atleast not yet.

Offline Hoby

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Hoby barely matters.Hoby barely matters.
  • Respect: +79
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
i use copper hammers and end up with about 4 elemental per hammer.  Quite a few poisen it seems like.
I like you, your death shall be quick and painless!!
I may have alzheimers, but at least I don't have alzheimers.
Walruses are like vampires, only awesome
Pwned-The total domination or shut down of a person or thing. 
I believe a hangover is gods way of saying you kicked ass last night!
Life's to short to remove usb safely.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
Thx Crisis.  Sure love the table you share.   

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
i use copper hammers and end up with about 4 elemental per hammer.  Quite a few poisen it seems like.
The problem with Copper is that you end up with too many properties, often those you don't want (like Lower Requirements, etc), thus wasting Imbue potential. With Shadows you can get just 100% elemental damage. I was thinking about it and I'll bet I burned a copper hammer before the Shadows which is why I got so many poison - I was just looking back and many of the poison have additional mods. I think this is why I figured out to use Shadow.

X

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »
Anyone know what the brackets mean on Semmerset's Reforging Charts? There are items in brackets [] and items without.

X

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    4%
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
The items in the [] should be the reforging caps so it is showing that you cannot go over that number in the bracket.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
The items in the [] should be the reforging caps so it is showing that you cannot go over that number in the bracket.
That's what I was thinking but why have some numbers not in brackets? For example, take a look at Luck on the Spined chart. 100 under nothing is not in brackets, meanwhile 120/140/150/150/150/150 are all in brackets under each of the other reforging options. The only thing that comes to mind is, if you select luck with a spined you are guaranteed 100 however you can get up to 120 with Powerful, 140 with Structural, and 150 for the rest but you're STILL only guaranteed the 100 as if you chose "nothing".

I did luck with Nothing, with Powerful, and as a second named property and all three times I only got 100.

Thoughts?

X

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    4%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »
For some reason he never posted a chart for horned or barbed kits. I think for luck, most go with the barbed.

I know when I used a horned and 150 was the cap with powerful, I made around 30 tunic with only one hitting 150 luck, the majority were 120-130. I think the RNG just really sucks with reforging. My guess is that if you keep going with the spined and powerful you would eventually hit 120.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
Actually I'm just wondering about my question about the [] based on my example of luck - I'm not making anything with luck at the moment, just trying to understand the charts.

Thanks bro!

X

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Test center if your friend for that.    I believe the chart was made from using one charge of the runic only.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
Yeah it occurred to me after much playing and testing that "there's a shard for that" LOL.

It's ok, I have a decent "throw-away" Samp suit now and I've learned quite a bit already.

Tags: