Author Topic: Cash for Clunkers  (Read 2600 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Cash for Clunkers
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
I'm taking advantage of this program and getting a new vehicle this summer.

Probably a small SUV the wife can drive... Maybe a Toyota Rav4.

I wanted to get a Hyundai Sante Fe, but it doesn't get good enough gas mileage. My old van I'll be trading in is listed as 17 MPG so I need to shop stuff that gets 21 MPG or better.

I could go Hybrid, but the cost difference between regular and hybrid is over the $4500 for the trade in. So I'm just looking regular fuel.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Cash for Clunkers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
We love the Hyundai Sante Fe, my girly has one and it's a great vehicle for the moola.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »
Man, why doesn't it get 21 MPG instead of 20.5 combined!!

I really want this, but unless it's 21 MPG, I can't get the $3500 trade in.

Rav4 is my second choice. Stronger engine, more towing, about same size. The Sante Fe has 7 (thats SEVEN) years longer on the warranty though... Thats a big plus.... I'll see what I can do, if I can get one it'll definitely be the Sante Fe.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
Ya, we were blown away by the Santa Fe.  We didn't even think about  it when we went to the dealership; we went for a Ford Exploder.  We test drove that, and then went to test drive the Santa Fe.  Boy, no comparison.  Amazing turning radius; better than my old Mercedes.  And I don't know how much zip you want, but the 6-banger they have in it works really well. Also the interior is much better than I wanted to admit a Hyundai could be.  Frankly, I hate to be a Hyundai fan; I used to have an Excel in their POS days, so I was sceptical at first.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
Wife and I have a Ford escape. We love it. Not sure what the new ones get for milage, but we get over 23mpg on the hiway (its a 2004) plenty of pep, it will spin the tires with NP. We also have a GMC 1500 Sierra 4X4 Pickup for the heavier towing so have never tried towing with it. But I can tell you if it doesnt mean pulling something, or hauling dirt or rocks or something we always take the Escape where erver we go.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:14:42 AM »
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:59:07 AM »
I saw that. Can you believe that some people are that gullible?

I guess they see $$$$ in their eyes and forget about everything else.

I watched a video about a scam. These guys rented a car and found a garage at an abandoned house, then put ads in a local paper selling it for FAR below it's value. They priced a $12,000+ car at $5,000 need cash fast.

They took everything that would identify it as a rental off, including the plates. There was a lady who was the "seller" and she had a baby monitor. Her accomplice had the transmitter with a recording of a baby crying.

The scam was simple enough. People came in and saw the car. They asked all the good questions except stuff like "can I see the title". The "seller" told them her husband was getting temp plates. If they asked a tough question, the guy would key up the baby monitor and the lady would cut the conversation.

People were giving her $500+ to "hold" the car for them. The "seller" wrote the receipt on the back of the For Sale sign.

They got over $3,000 and just drove the car away. Later that night like 8 people showed up to get "their" car. ROFL funny to see them before they figure it out. Of course they all got their money back, but it just shows how greed overpowers common sense in people.

Offline Petkiller

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Petkiller has no influence.
  • Respect: +7
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
I sold a guy a car once for 2500 and he got a loan from one of those rip off companys and the total of the payments was over 5400.   The company charged him like loan fees and like 28.9% interest rate.  My friend just got a 2001 Honda Civic for 4500 and thought he got a great deal until I showed him where the title is branded "rebuilt salvage."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
Nothing like getting a car that's been under water (literally).  lol.  Buyer beware.  Chrysler is nearly giving away cars at the moment, or else they'll be sending new cars to the shreader.  They're still selling 2008s!
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: